Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 04:46 PM
cubcrasher
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John M,
Not sure if you got my PM, but thanks for your help. I'm going to try this week end to post picts.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:56 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Got it... you're more than welcome!

John M,
Old 02-23-2014, 06:22 AM
cubcrasher

test photo
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0064.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	1971451  
Old 02-23-2014, 07:16 AM
cubcrasher

Sig 1/4 clipped
magnum 180
Sig Koverall
nitrate dope
acrylic enamel paint brushed on with foam brush
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0069.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	1971468   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0068.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	1971469   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0066.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	3.60 MB
ID:	1971471  
Old 02-23-2014, 09:38 AM
John_M_

Cubcrasher that's a nice looking cub you have there... nicely built as well... wow ! painted with a foam brush... looks like it was sprayed

John M,
Old 02-23-2014, 01:39 PM
cubcrasher

Originally Posted by John_M_
Cubcrasher that's a nice looking cub you have there... nicely built as well... wow ! painted with a foam brush... looks like it was sprayed

John M,
Thanks John,
I've used the foam brush with Nelsons Hobby paint before and thought I would give it a try
with the acrylic. You can cover a lot of ground with a 3 1/2" brush. Cuts down on the overspray
too,
Old 02-23-2014, 03:02 PM
John_M_

Originally Posted by cubcrasher
Thanks John,I've used the foam brush with Nelsons Hobby paint before and thought I would give it a trywith the acrylic. You can cover a lot of ground with a 3 1/2" brush. Cuts down on the overspraytoo,
Yeah, I plan on doing the same with KlassKote... it's suppose to go on very well with a brush and flow to a spray like finish... I'll be painting it over cub yellow solartex, so I want the best adhesion I can get.

How well did that nelsons paint adhere to the sig koverall and nitrate dope? any signs of lifting when you removed the tape?... from the images it looks fantastic.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 02-23-2014 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:46 PM
cubcrasher

The nelson paint was on another plane, but as I recall it worked real good with the nitrate. This blue acryle enamel came from O'reillys auto parts. They will
mix 1/2 pint of paint . I used just over a pint on the clipped wing. The white part is not paint. It is 21st century fabric. What I did was paint the entire plane in the blue,
then striped it with the fabric. Presto, the fabric stuck good with no bubbles of wrinkles. I have a 1/4 scale long wing J3 that is 10 years old or better and I have stripped the
covering off. I am gonna try some solartex on it. I have heard nothing but good things about KlassKote. You can't loose with the foam brush.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:22 PM
John_M_

Oh ok, now I understand... still the auto enamel went on very well with the brush... you would never have known the white was 21st century fabric... we covered our cub originally in 21st century fabric cub yellow and did the lightning bolt down the side in black monokote... tried to paint the lightning bolt with that 21st century paint, but that stuff was the strangest paint I have even seen.

This is a scan of one of the original photos taken just before the the maiden flight... that white plane in the background is another 1/4 cub, balsaUSA if my memory serves me.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 02-23-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:44 PM
cubcrasher

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead about the white. I was kinda excited about being able to post
pictures. I never really cared for the 21st century paint either. Back when they had a lot of
colors the Top Flite Lusterkote was what I would use on cowls. It would match monokote
real good. That cub looks to have a Saito twin up front.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:06 AM
mnemennth

Cubcrasher -

Out-flippin'-standing!

I have absolutely ZERO talent with covering planes; it was one of the things that both excited and annoyed the crap out of me about my ARF Cub. All the planes I built from kit as a youth, and this cheapo import kit has better covering than my BEST job.

Makes me wanna cry a little.

mnem
*Sigh*
Old 02-24-2014, 11:07 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mnemennth
Cubcrasher -

Out-flippin'-standing!

I have absolutely ZERO talent with covering planes; it was one of the things that both excited and annoyed the crap out of me about my ARF Cub. All the planes I built from kit as a youth, and this cheapo import kit has better covering than my BEST job.

Makes me wanna cry a little.

mnem
*Sigh*
If covering airplanes was all you did for months on end (likely) even for very little money in our terms, you would be expert also. But, please try Solartex or even Koverall and you will be pleased with the result. I don't like any of the film coverings, especially since they changed Monokote years ago They say they did not change anything, but it sure is not what it once was. There are many threads here on RCU on how to cover with the fabrics. You will be glad you tried them.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 02-24-2014, 12:20 PM
John_M_

Sorry, didn't mean to mislead about the white. I was kinda excited about being able to postpictures.
Oh you didn't mislead me... I think what you did and the way you did it was clever... whatever gets it done, and looks good... it came out just like the box cover.

That cub looks to have a Saito twin up front.
Yes, its the Saito FA-130TD... nice engine, but the twin carb was a bare to set up... we had the fuel tank as high as it could be; almost touching the underside of the upper nose balsa sheeting to get the center line of the tank inline with the twin carbs... plenty of power... but we're putting a os ft-160 twin in it this time round.

I never really cared for the 21st century paint either. Back when they had a lot of colors the Top Flite Lusterkote was what I would use on cowls. It would match monokotereal good.
Yeah it was difficult to get a color match and it took for ever to dry... you had to use their white primer first, then build up serveral coats to get the color density... it worked out better on metals than on plastics; with the ABS cowls you had to use very light coats and let it dry well between coats or you'd get little pin head bubbles.

John M,
Old 02-24-2014, 01:12 PM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I am planning on using Lusterkote on my Cessna 182. It will be adding fiberglass over all wood surfaces and priming all surfaces with high hide primer followed by a finish coat of the Lustercote primer. The current available colors meet my requirements. Does anyone see any problems with my plans or have any suggestions? This is my first fiberglass finish on an airplane I wanted a little more substance to the sheeting. I will be using 3/4 oz. cloth and either a water based PVA like finishing product or finishing epoxy. I have already purchased both products.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:02 PM
stevegauth30

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I am planning on using Lusterkote on my Cessna 182. It will be adding fiberglass over all wood surfaces and priming all surfaces with high hide primer followed by a finish coat of the Lustercote primer. The current available colors meet my requirements. Does anyone see any problems with my plans or have any suggestions? This is my first fiberglass finish on an airplane I wanted a little more substance to the sheeting. I will be using 3/4 oz. cloth and either a water based PVA like finishing product or finishing epoxy. I have already purchased both products.
Sounds like your on the right track to me.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:07 PM
cubcrasher

Thanks MNEM ,
Covering has never been one of my favorite things, it is tedious work. I just have to get in there and do it. Koverall is a lot
of work, you just have to keep your eye on the prize. I am going to use Solartex on my other 1/4 cub and see how it works.
IMHO nothing beats a Koverall finish.

John, I remember those little pin head bubbles.

Flyer, I have used Koverall with fiberglass resin with good results.
Old 02-24-2014, 02:11 PM
acerc

Thanks MNEM ,
Covering has never been one of my favorite things, it is tedious work. I just have to get in there and do it. Koverall is a lot
of work, you just have to keep your eye on the prize. I am going to use Solartex on my other 1/4 cub and see how it works.
IMHO nothing beats a Koverall finish.

John, I remember those little pin head bubbles.

Flyer, I have used Koverall with fiberglass resin with good results.
If you like Koverall you would fall head over heels for the Poly-lite.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by acerc
If you like Koverall you would fall head over heels for the Poly-lite.
You like pushing that stuff don't you. Well, that's okay. Your getting me to try it and I am excited to do so, can't wait!
Old 02-24-2014, 03:40 PM
acerc

Poly-lite is the polyester fabric. It has a tighter weave making for easier filling and paint.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:14 PM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to give up the hobby a few years back due to health issues. Didn't want to but when you can't stand it takes a lot of fun out of what your doing. A few months ago my wife and I stopped at a Hobby Lobby to let her pick up junk (supplies) and while there I found a few of the Guillow's kits. When I was around 9-11 yrs old I would spend days building these and really enjoyed them. Over the years I have built many many planes, most were scratch built with the vast majority being a Cub of some type and different sizes. The last one I built was around 2006, a 1/4 scale with OS 160 twin that flew like an angel's dream. Then the health started kicking in, but last week I had to go to a store in next city (larger town) and remembered that two girls had added a hobby shop to go along with another business they were running. It was still there and actually thriving, got to see a good friend that I've not seen for a few yrs, best thing was getting my neck hugged by two good looking girls. But there sitting on a shelf was a water damaged box that contained a Goldberg Anniversary Cub, they had a price on it AS IS, I countered with a lower price not thinking anything about it but was spending time catching up with my friend. The one girl asked I was really offering a cash price for the Cub, I said yes why not. Well its been a few years since I built a kit but so far my wife has not raised heck with me building this one in the den. So far no EPOXY or CA glue just Elmer's glue. All you Cub Fliers please wiggle you wings to the God's to help me at least put the correct wing up front.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:56 PM
mnemennth

Hey I wouldn't laugh at you... When I was mocking up my ARF Cub, I put it together and hung it on the wall before I noticed the wings switched/upside down.

mnem
*Embarrassed*
Old 02-25-2014, 06:33 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by mnemennth
Hey I wouldn't laugh at you... When I was mocking up my ARF Cub, I put it together and hung it on the wall before I noticed the wings switched/upside down.
mnem
*Embarrassed*
Provided you fixed it before flying I don't see a problem. Did it look better that way?
Old 02-25-2014, 10:24 AM
mnemennth

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Provided you fixed it before flying I don't see a problem. Did it look better that way?
No, but I sure looked silly when my 6-year-old son said "Daddy, the wings look funny."

mnem
"I was working on an inverted flight Mod..." yeah, that's the ticket....
Old 02-25-2014, 01:23 PM
John_M_

Still prodding along on the door window... my inlaw is helping me as my ogre hands are getting in the way... so I thought I'd strain my eyes a bit... finished my custom made Fuel Dot... made from a PL2-59 coax connector... unscrews to pull up the fueling hose.

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 02-25-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:27 PM
stevegauth30

Nifty idea john.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.