Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

***CUB BROTHERHOOD***

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 02:26 AM
OLDFLYER2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody going to Sun N Fun in Lakeland next week? Come by the Legend Cub Booth and talk RC Cubs. Would like to meet you. Pat (OLDFLYER2)

Cub Brother 119
Old 03-27-2014, 02:39 AM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by Ultimateflying
I'm getting ready to start my first big build.
I ordered as set of Wendel Hostetler Piper PA-15 Vagabond plans
I'm going to model it off of my friends Full Scale. Colors, Paint Scheme, Call Sign, etc.

This will be my first build where its just the plans. No instructions.
Im really looking forward to this build.

Is there anyone in the Cub Brotherhood that has built this plane before?

Ultimateflying
Trevor
Trevor, Look in my gallery and you will find My Hostetler Pawnee and the AMR third scale cub. I am in the process of building Wendel's Stinson Reliant 125"
This is a difficult build and probably the most difficult build so far. I have been building since 1965 and it challenged me quite a bit. Hang the plans and study them endlessly. I mean it! You will not see some parts for a while. It is a good idea to buy Eric Granger's kit from Mass USA. I will get you his info later. Unless you know blue prints and all there symbolisms, you will not find some parts for a long time. best to get the kit or you will have to do surgery to install a part that you finally found! Take your time! You will not finish it before winter! Find a way to hang the plans in the shop. Don't build the stabs like he does, make them 1/8th balsa with sticks on both sides and put more structure in the tail area. This is what I ran into on my Pawnee. one little thump will break them. Let me know if I can be of any help. We can even talk on the phone.
Take care my friend.
bird.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:06 AM
Ultimateflying

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Trevor, PLEASE do a build!
I will do a Build Thread for sure!!
And I like taking lots of pics on whatever I build. So posting lots of pics won't be a problem.
Its amazing how much help a guy can get from just posting pics and someone seeing a issue. Hopefully before its to late!!!
Ultimateflying
Trevor
Old 03-27-2014, 05:18 AM
Ultimateflying

Originally Posted by bigbird3
Trevor, Look in my gallery and you will find My Hostetler Pawnee and the AMR third scale cub. I am in the process of building Wendel's Stinson Reliant 125"
This is a difficult build and probably the most difficult build so far. I have been building since 1965 and it challenged me quite a bit. Hang the plans and study them endlessly. I mean it! You will not see some parts for a while. It is a good idea to buy Eric Granger's kit from Mass USA. I will get you his info later. Unless you know blue prints and all there symbolisms, you will not find some parts for a long time. best to get the kit or you will have to do surgery to install a part that you finally found! Take your time! You will not finish it before winter! Find a way to hang the plans in the shop. Don't build the stabs like he does, make them 1/8th balsa with sticks on both sides and put more structure in the tail area. This is what I ran into on my Pawnee. one little thump will break them. Let me know if I can be of any help. We can even talk on the phone.
Take care my friend.
bird.
Bigbird3
I know what you mean about hanging the plans and studying them. I received the plans in eary Feb. I pinned them to the wall of my hangar, leaned against the fuse of my plane and just looked at them. After a hour or so things started to pop out at me. Symbols started to make sence. Things definatly hide in the blue prints.
I figure this will be a good Two Winter Build. I'm definatly not going to be in a hurry! I don't want to run into a situation where I have to start cutting becuase I missed something!!

Ultimateflying
Trevor
Old 03-27-2014, 05:39 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by jwrich
FlyerInOKC , Mike where do you live, I think you are just down the hi-way from me. We have our Spring Fun-Fly scheduled for May 10th, all AMA fliers are invited. Check out our web site http://okbarnstormers.com/ I do the the web site. Post where you are or send me a PM.

Rich
Rich I live in NW Oklahoma City about 10 minutes south of the TORKS field. There is another relatively new forum member with a Kadet MK II build on this site just NW of where I am his handle is DBD1. Here is a link to his build: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...-ii-build.html

Mike
Old 03-27-2014, 07:12 AM
motor12

A question about RF filter rings. Due to the length of the aileron servo leads Hangar 9 is showing RF filter rings. Are the rings a must with 2.4. I have not used them in the past but never had such long servo leads before. The rings are not supplied and seem to be hard to find..Thanks
Old 03-27-2014, 07:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have a friend who was in completion pattern flying and I have never saw a filter ring on any of his leads on the big pattern planes. Those airplanes have some long leads at times. (FYI he uses all Futaba equipment they were sponsoring him.)
Old 03-27-2014, 07:53 AM
kevinf2501
My Feedback: (65)

Originally Posted by John_M_
Fantastic photos Kevin... whomever took those knows something about photography... which model is that, looks like an ARF; 1/4, 1/3 scale ???

***EDIT*** ... That looks to me to be the Team Edge 40% Clipped Wing Cub... Wow!!

John M,
Yes its 40% Bill Hempel Cub with a DA150 (I'm, at near 6000ft altitude). Yes the guy who took the pictures( Leejay) is an awesome photographer and comes to a lot of our local events in Colorado. I also have a 25% l4 that is a blast to fly as well.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:00 AM
p510851
My Feedback: (60)

Hi Guys. I have a 96" cub and when I had the Futaba metal gear servos i did experience interference using the 2.4 Futaba 8 chanel system using a 6 volt battery. When I gave a command to the airlerons one would respond immediatly the other waited a second then responded. I changed out the servos and had the same problem. this was in my living room without any engine running. Thought I had a problem with my receiver so I swaped that out too. the problem didn't go away until I installed filters and they did help. Tower Hobbies sells the extensions that has filters on them. I also don't use futaba metal gear servos in my other giant planes because of this known problem. I am all Hitech metal gear servos. never had a problem with them.
just my 2 Cents
Tony
Old 03-27-2014, 08:56 AM
Tampaflyer
My Feedback: (42)

strange.. I just got two again...
a hobbyzone modified to brushless and floats.. fly it off the pond next to the golf course
and a 1/4 scale BUSA with the scale landing gear... has an os 120.. but thinking of going power 160 on it.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:05 PM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinf2501
(I'm, at near 6000ft altitude).
Wow... that's high... our flying field has a altitude limit to 450 Feet, because we're in the flight path of Van Nuys Airport... back in my 1/2A days I took a wonder sailplane with a power pod on it quite a ways up there; could just see the shape of the wings... About 15 minutes later I got a visit from the airport police, telling me my plane was reported by several general aviation aircraft and it was in violation of the altitude limits... he gave me a warning, and told me the next time they would impose a fine and may even confiscate the aircraft until a court hearing could determine if I would get it back again.

John M,
Old 03-27-2014, 05:50 PM
kevinf2501
My Feedback: (65)

I don't fly at 6000ft high. Denver is the mile high city as it as nearly 6000ft above sea level

Last edited by kevinf2501; 03-27-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 06:18 PM
John_M_

LoL.... I thought something on those lines... I knew it couldn't be 6000ft AGL altitude... its a bit high even for a 40% cub; not to mention the radio range..
Old 03-28-2014, 03:54 AM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by Ultimateflying
Bigbird3
I know what you mean about hanging the plans and studying them. I received the plans in eary Feb. I pinned them to the wall of my hangar, leaned against the fuse of my plane and just looked at them. After a hour or so things started to pop out at me. Symbols started to make sence. Things definatly hide in the blue prints.
I figure this will be a good Two Winter Build. I'm definatly not going to be in a hurry! I don't want to run into a situation where I have to start cutting becuase I missed something!!

Ultimateflying
Trevor
Trevor, do you build in the hangar and is it heated? Winters are pretty cold up here. I live just below Montreal by Montpelier.
It's snowing this morning. I was thinking of getting a big truck coil spring and putting it in the yard with a sign, 'Is this the spring they were talking about'? I am so sick of it! When does your snow end usually?
bird.

cub brotherhood 219
Old 03-28-2014, 04:15 AM
bigbird3

Originally Posted by motor12
A question about RF filter rings. Due to the length of the aileron servo leads Hangar 9 is showing RF filter rings. Are the rings a must with 2.4. I have not used them in the past but never had such long servo leads before. The rings are not supplied and seem to be hard to find..Thanks
Motor 12, back in the day, that means a long time ago, we use to tie a knot loop every foot or so in the leads. It would cause the signal to spin off the wire before it reached the receiver. Now, before you gaffaw me out, it really worked. I mentioned it in the past couple of years to some of the guys at the field and they agreed that it still worked. I'm not sure about 2.4 but all you have to do is try it. Don't pull the know tight. You should have a loop about the size of a penny.
Then again, some of you guys have all the money you need for the hobby and no budget restrictions.
It's just a thought. BTW, I have two daughters and a son there in Austin. I moved to VT. from Corpus Christi in 2002. I miss the 49 weeks of summer but I don't miss the 85% humidity and 90-100 temps! It doesn't cool off at night either. Here it can be 80-90 in the day and cool to 50-60 at night. I have no air-conditioning here and don't need it. You guys down there jump from air to air and if one breaks, your tong is hanging out! Sure don't miss that part. But, I'M TIRED OF THE SNOW! Now with two heart attacks under my belt, it ain't so easy to deal with.
A friend of mine said 'it ain't no fun when the rabbit has the gun'!
bird.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:20 AM
bigbird3

Guys, I still have an original Sig Cub 72" kit in NIB. Any takers? Make me a reasonable offer and it's yours. Don't be silly, just because it has 12.95 written on the box, it doesn't mean you get it for that. Lets start at fifty! Shipping is on you.
bird.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

I knew Kevin must be high up in the Rockies according to his profile he has only 1 Lone Tree!

I'm tempted Bigbird3 but I just paid out all my disposable cash for a set of custom 1/4 scale Globe Swift gear.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:08 AM
Jim Hargett
My Feedback: (1)

Hi! I'm Jim Hargett in Guilderland, New York. I own three Goldberg Anniversary Cubs, and this season
I will also be flying a Carbon-Z Cub and a World Models 1/4 scale Cub. Put simply, I'm a Cub nut!!!

Would be very honored to become a member of the Cub Brotherhood!!! Thanks!
Old 03-28-2014, 05:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

Jim, have you got any pictures of your Cub fleet?
Old 03-28-2014, 06:25 AM
motor12

Bigbird3, thanks. I moved from Vermont to Austin in the early eighties, I miss Vermont and all she has to offer. I am sure I would miss the year around flying we have here but there is a trade off in everything.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:24 AM
Ultimateflying

Originally Posted by bigbird3
Trevor, do you build in the hangar and is it heated? Winters are pretty cold up here. I live just below Montreal by Montpelier.
It's snowing this morning. I was thinking of getting a big truck coil spring and putting it in the yard with a sign, 'Is this the spring they were talking about'? I am so sick of it! When does your snow end usually?
bird.

cub brotherhood 219
Bigbird3
I have a nice heated hanger that I keep my Full Scale plane in. I have plenty of space in the hanger so I decided that I will build a
nice bench to build off of in the hanger. Plus that way I don't have a noesy cat walking across it!!
Its getting warmer here. We don't have anything close to the amount of snow here as down East.
But I agree. It can't melt fast enough!!!
Ultimateflying
Trevor
Old 03-28-2014, 11:15 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Shoot, wish I had a wall to hang plans on, Used all my wall space for tools and materials. My workshop does double duty as a workshop.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:02 PM
FlyerInOKC

I wish I had a workshop! I use a card table.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:51 PM
John_M_

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I wish I had a workshop! I use a card table.
How the heck do you build anything on a card table, they're like 3ft x 3ft square... I use two saw horses and a solid core door from home depot... I glued cork tiles to it to help with holding the pins... when I'm not building, it stows away off in the corner.

John M,
Old 03-29-2014, 12:10 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Anyone heading to Toledo next weekend?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.