Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

CG Ultimate 10-300 Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

CG Ultimate 10-300 Build

Old 11-28-2011, 08:48 PM
sirzepp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG Ultimate 10-300 Build

Started my Ultimate build. Iused to have one of these when Iwas in the hobby 15 years ago.

Iloved it then.

I can't wait to fly another one.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:20 AM
sirzepp

Default RE: CG Ultimate 10-300 Build

Working on shear webs and sheeting the bottom wing.

Extended webbing through the last four bays on each side.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:12 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Looking good!!

david
Old 11-29-2011, 11:07 AM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

Are you going stock with one aileron servo and bellcranks or modifying it for dual aileron servos?   I had a flutter issue with mine after a while till I put in dual servos.. just curious.

Old 12-04-2011, 04:57 PM
sirzepp

ORIGINAL: daveopam

Looking good!!

david
Thanks!

ORIGINAL: deckerv

Are you going stock with one aileron servo and bellcranks or modifying it for dual aileron servos? I had a flutter issue with mine after a while till I put in dual servos.. just curious.
I'll be installing dual aileron servos. I just picked up some extra wood to build a nice box that mimics the design on my Hangar 9 T-craft...where the servo is actually attached to the 'lid' and comes out with 4 screws. I'll be using socket head hardware with blind nuts and thread locker to attach the servo mount to the wing. I like the easy access this design provides, as well as the flush mount and hidden servo.

Old 12-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm jealous. I have one NIB right now that I'd love to get started on! What are you going to hang on the nose?
Old 12-07-2011, 01:56 PM
peternj
My Feedback: (5)

nice
Old 12-07-2011, 06:53 PM
alfredbmor

Ready for the show!!!!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:54 PM
sirzepp

Finally got a chance to work on her again.  Sorry for the lack of updates.  I've been busy working and spending most of my free time trying to get my first big gasser running right (talk about a learning curve!).

Anyway, here's my progress:

Got started on the servo bays for the wing...I like the flush mount setup.  The servo will be mounted to the hatch, so it drops out when you unscrew the hatch.  This is the reason for 6 screws and the extra solid hatch mounting/hatch (made of plywood).

Also got the center section sheeted and some cap strips done.  Almost ready to flip it over and finish it up!

Old 12-15-2011, 02:58 PM
sirzepp

ORIGINAL: Deadeye

I'm jealous. I have one NIB right now that I'd love to get started on! What are you going to hang on the nose?
After months of research and thinking, I have come back to my original plan...a Saito FA125. Just picked it up today. I think it will be a nice match, and I like keeping this plane glow fueled...feels more nostalgic to me. I've got a couple of gas planes now (Hangar 9 T-craft and an AirWild Extra 260)...and I LOVE gas but I just didn't think the DLE20 was a good fit for me on this airframe. We shall see if I regret it...though I'm really hoping I don't as the Saito cost some bucks.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:57 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

So will the fuel,,, only your wallet will regret it,, the Motor won't let you down

Looks good, keep it up
Old 12-18-2011, 07:39 AM
sirzepp

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

So will the fuel,,, only your wallet will regret it,, the Motor won't let you down

Looks good, keep it up
No doubt on the fuel...lol.

I do love the smell of burning nitro fuel, though.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:46 PM
sirzepp

Wow.  It's been a while since I've updated this.

I HAVE made progress...just slow-going with other projects and other aspects of R/C (cars, helis).

Here are some pics:

I've finished the rough frame up of the wings, but will wait for hinging, filling, and sanding until everything else is framed up.

I've also started the fuselage.  I built my first CG Ultimate when I was 15, now almost 20 years later, I find myself wondering just how shoddy my workmanship was as it seems I am making a lot of errors even now...when taking MORE time.  Nothing major, just flaws in sheeting fitment and stuff like that.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:48 PM
sirzepp

Pics are slightly out of order...sorry.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:58 PM
sirzepp

Got some work done on the fuse tonight. It's coming out really nice.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:30 AM
daveopam

These are great kits. Do you have your turtle deck rolled up? I like to wet mine and roll them up before assembly. I start with a slight bend, then re wet it and bend it a little more every day. After a week or so the two sides should be touching. I just leave it taped that way until I am ready to install it.

David
Old 05-07-2012, 03:46 PM
sirzepp

Yup, had the turtle deck all rolled up...it's ready to go...which is good because I'm almost to that step!

Installed the tail feathers. I had a warp in the tail of the fuselage (despite checking it over before gluing per the instructions) so I installed the bottom wing to assure proper alignment. The tail is nice and square with itself and with the bottom wing.

I also hinged all the surfaces. I think the tail will have plenty of authority. I double beveled the elevator, and made sure to give the rudder a high angle bevel. I'll also run a bit of a gap (properly sealed of course) on the rudder as well as inset the hinges to assure nearly 80 degrees of throw...I want to make sure clearance with the elevator is the limiting factor and NOT hinge binding.

I couldn't resist setting the top wing in place for a pic.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 AM
daveopam

Looking good!! The extra elev throw does not really help these. At least with the 3 I have owned.

David
Old 05-08-2012, 04:24 PM
sirzepp

Cool on the extra elevator throw. I figure why not, and I'll be using a taileron mix as well...so the extra throw will keep the servos from binding when tailerons are fully deflected and full elevator input is applied.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 AM
daveopam

Not sure what you mean by "tailerons". Are you talking about elevons? If so, these are fun to play with. Never tried them on an Ult, but have on other planes. The thing I don't like about elevons, it will make your rolls have a little barrel roll effect. Also on my radio,(10C) I can't put them on a switch. All I can do is set the % to activate.

David
Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 AM
sirzepp

ORIGINAL: daveopam

Not sure what you mean by ''tailerons''. Are you talking about elevons? If so, these are fun to play with. Never tried them on an Ult, but have on other planes. The thing I don't like about elevons, it will make your rolls have a little barrel roll effect. Also on my radio,(10C) I can't put them on a switch. All I can do is set the % to activate.

David
Yeah, same thing. Though I think elevons are technically only called that on a delta wing aircraft (where they are part of the main wing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevon) while a taileron or ailervator is the term on a conventional aircraft that still has conventional ailerons, kind of like a stabilator on a fighter (basically an ailervator with a full-flying (the whole surface moves) stabilizer instead of just the hinged surface). I think Tailerons/Ailervators are better words to indicate the conventional elevator on the conventional horizontal stab mixes to ailerons as well as acting as an elevator. Fighter jets use stabilators that do the same thing, but the entire stabilizer moves (thus "full flying stabilizer")...sorry I digress LOL!

Yeah, they'll be on a switch...I'll only use them in high alpha flight, the idea being to make up for the lack of extended ailerons (I choose not to extend mine) and the lack of a proper 3D design. Just trying to experiment a bit...and make the Ultimate have a little bit of a niche in my hangar. I don't like have multiple airplanes that do exactly the same thing...so have the Ultimate set up with fast servos (going with savox 1258TG w/unregulated LiFe) and utilizing some cool mixing I'll be able to have some interesting fun with it.

At this point I kind of wish I had gone with four servos in the wing...but I'm gonna stick with just two. Four would have made for some fun mixes as well, though! (I was thinking dive brakes, stuff like that).
Old 05-09-2012, 07:57 AM
peternj

NICE, VERY NICE....  from the looks of it, it's one of the early kits that was die cut instead of lazer cut, right?  the fit on the fuselage is a lot better on those

Old 05-09-2012, 09:09 AM
sirzepp

ORIGINAL: peternj

NICE, VERY NICE.... from the looks of it, it's one of the early kits that was die cut instead of lazer cut, right? the fit on the fuselage is a lot better on those

Yup. In fact, I didn't KNOW there were laser cut kits until I printed out a copy of the manual from hobbico...and it references "laser cut" parts. I thought "wow, that would be awesome" because the kit I built 15 years ago was die cut and kind of a pain compared to modern laser cut kits I've built recently. This kit is even MORE of a pain, as the wood has shrunk and gotten a bit harder.

So the laser cut kits fitment was WORSE? WOW. That's sad.

This particular kit is about 8 years old (according to the previous owner).
Old 05-09-2012, 02:53 PM
sirzepp

Started covering today...can't believe I'm actually to this step! It's good to see it coming together.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:40 AM
peternj

well, I should correct myself about the lazer cut part.  I'm specifically refering to the fuselage sides, top, bottom and formers. In the newer version I would say they were CNC router cut rather than stamped out using a die. This made the tab fitment cumbersome since you had to square off all the rounded corners.

But i built two of these.  The original kit that was available back n the 90's and the one from 2003 or 2004 just before Goldberg closed its doors. And I thought the die cut model went together better and was more percise when it came to the fuselage and notched LE and TE sticks.

just my opinion though

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.