Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA Fokker DRI 1/4 scale

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA Fokker DRI 1/4 scale

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 05:01 PM
Bcool831

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Started

i recieved mine last week and have started it. One wing down.
If I cover it with solartex, can that be painted? Kinda rough weave i think it would be next to impossible to get good straight paint lines with no bleed or creep under the tape. Ideas? Solutions? Thanks, Barry
Old 12-09-2017, 08:43 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

My 1/3 scale Balsa USA DRI is covered in Solartex. And hand painted with Behr house paint. The Solartex holds the paint well. Yes the bleed under the edge of the tape can be a problem. Will you be hand painting or spray? If spray paint, then light mist coats and let dry well each time can work. I have read that a coat of clear before the color coat works also. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fox2016%2005.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	2247340  
Old 12-10-2017, 05:50 AM
Bcool831

Originally Posted by jeffEE
My 1/3 scale Balsa USA DRI is covered in Solartex. And hand painted with Behr house paint. The Solartex holds the paint well. Yes the bleed under the edge of the tape can be a problem. Will you be hand painting or spray? If spray paint, then light mist coats and let dry well each time can work. I have read that a coat of clear before the color coat works also. Good luck.
thanks jeffEE and that is a beautiful build there.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:26 AM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks. I have built 4 DRI's. 2 of them were 1/4 scale, a 1/3 scale and I had one that was an ARF. Sold both 1/4 scale birds and hated the way the ARF flew so got rid of that one fast. The quarter scale birds flew nice, but I always flew them too fast. I was still flying WWII style. Good luck on the build, ask lots of questions. (Balsa USA kits are great at generation questions) And be ready to add down trim.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:13 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Bcool, one thing to check on your plans.. If I recall correctly one wing panel (bottom right? from cockpit) might have been drawn slightly longer than the left. Also the pockets where the vertical outer strut board goes thru the wings should all be the same distance from the center .. If I recall one friend of mine had to redo one of the hard mount areas because when the wings stack up on the plane ..one was not right on the plans... I still think its the bottom right wing...
Old 12-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Bcool831

Thanks. I have built 4 DRI's. 2 of them were 1/4 scale, a 1/3 scale and I had one that was an ARF. Sold both 1/4 scale birds and hated the way the ARF flew so got rid of that one fast. The quarter scale birds flew nice, but I always flew them too fast. I was still flying WWII style. Good luck on the build, ask lots of questions. (Balsa USA kits are great at generation questions) And be ready to add down trim.
ya the great planes arf when you can find them are selling for ridiculous prices. I decided to build the Sig 1/4 scale cause the size is good and their kits are the best.
I have read several build logs and hopefully will be able to add some of the advice and tips given in there. Thanks, Barry
Old 12-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Bcool831

Originally Posted by foodstick
Bcool, one thing to check on your plans.. If I recall correctly one wing panel (bottom right? from cockpit) might have been drawn slightly longer than the left. Also the pockets where the vertical outer strut board goes thru the wings should all be the same distance from the center .. If I recall one friend of mine had to redo one of the hard mount areas because when the wings stack up on the plane ..one was not right on the plans... I still think its the bottom right wing...
ok good. I will check those out. I know the directions say not to add the strut pockets till later so i will double check them. Thanks for the heads up. Barry
Old 12-10-2017, 01:08 PM
Bcool831

Default Engines

Im looking at engines now. G26 weighs in at 46oz engine only. The Evolution 33gx is at 38oz engine only. I really don’t know which way to go honestly. The 33gx will fit in A lot of other planes where the g26 would be under powered in Those same planes. I like the ability to swap out engines for other planes because they are not cheap. Or how about a dle30? Any advice guys?
thanks, Barry

Last edited by Bcool831; 12-10-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:30 PM
Bcool831

Default Paint

jeffEE, probably be hand painting so I can get the striping/camouflage done. Clear coating first sounds like a good way to go. Thanks, Barry

Last edited by Bcool831; 12-10-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:59 PM
Bcool831

Default Planetex

has anyone used planetex sold by sig? Looks straight forward enough in application.
Old 12-11-2017, 04:13 PM
Bcool831

Default G26

Does anyone have a g26 that could measure the width including muffler and carb? I can’t tell by the online manual what the dimensions are so don’t know if it would fit in the Dr1 cowl.
Thanks, Barry
Old 12-11-2017, 05:29 PM
Bcool831

Originally Posted by Bcool831
Does anyone have a g26 that could measure the width including muffler and carb? I can’t tell by the online manual what the dimensions are so don’t know if it would fit in the Dr1 cowl.
Thanks, Barry
8” is what I am told so will go with that.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:07 PM
markzark

Default Balsa USA 1/4 Scale Fokker DR1 Manual

Hi I have just acquired a partially started kit of the Balsa USA 1/4 Scale Fokker DR1. It is complete but missing the build instruction manual, I have ordered a new one from Balsa USA. with the current covid restrictions on travel and postage I think it will take quite some time to arrive, as I am itching to start the build I was hoping some one would have one they could scan and send an electronic copy to me. can anyone help, please let me know?
Mark.

Old 03-31-2020, 09:38 AM
foodstick

How far along is the build? Post some pics of where you are in the process.
I don't know how many people can scan instruction books, but there are other ways if someone knows how far along you are.
Old 03-31-2020, 04:32 PM
markzark

Hi and thanks Foodsticks,
I have just received this kit, and the three sets of wings are done. I have just started the Ailerons, and find that although the plan was some detail there is little in description of parts and how they are assembled, was hoping that the instructions would have explanations.
I do mostly build from planes and have no trouble with them, I was just thinking it would be easier as this is a kit. Thank you again for your reply as this is the first time i have asked a question on any forum.
Mark.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:18 PM
foodstick

Sending you a private message , .. and maybe I can get you some info...
Old 04-02-2020, 05:22 AM
foodstick

Your email came thru, glad to hear you found a manual..