Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Dirty Birdie or Utter Chaos 60

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Dirty Birdie or Utter Chaos 60

Old 12-12-2011, 08:52 AM
sawdust
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dirty Birdie or Utter Chaos 60

Which of these kits is the best plane to build for the wind? I currently fly a Tower Kaos 40 in the wind and it flies great in the wind.

If they both are good windy day fliers are there other reasons to build one verses the other.

I have purchased a building board and want to get started.

Note it has been a while since my last build but I have done very extensive rebuilds on some of my arfs and think I can handle the building of either kit. And since my retirement I need something to fill in some of my time.

Thank you.

Todd
Old 12-12-2011, 01:42 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Dirty Birdie or Utter Chaos 60

Both are great airplanes. The Kaos in all it's forms is fantastic. They are good sport planes and ultra easy to land.

The Dirty Birdy was designed later and has several advances. The tail is a little longer so it flies smoother. The wing is thinned a little and it is fast. The stab is built up too. This plane will slow down nicely for landing but it is lower in drag and you have to throttle back and start your descent earlier, no big deal. But the real difference is in knife edge handling. The Dirty Birdy has more side area and is much better in knife edge and point rolls. To top all that out, the Dirty Birdy is one fine looking airplane.

So for basic sport flying, a Kaos is great. For more advanced aerobatics, the Dirty Birdy is much more capable.

If you are interested, I have written updated instructions for the Dirty Birdy. Look here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9520759/tm.htm

Dave
Old 12-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After a couple of decades I finally killed my Kaos. I replaced it with the Dirty Birdy and the DB was a much smoother plane to fly. Dave went into more detail but other then tracking better then the Kaos and the knife edge I didn't notice a lot of difference between the two planes. I didn't really have the DB long enough to even point out the finer points. I had my very first mid air a week after maiden but I did get to put it through all it's trim flights. The DB really is a better looking plane. Both were perfect flying machines.
I built a Daddy Rabbit from plans and tried to keep it as stock as I could, it was designed in 1966. It's the only trike geared plane I have ever built for myself. It's the HIGH wind plane of choice in my hanger. Better then any other of it's type I have ever flown. Shorter coupled and fully sheeted. A bit on the heavy side for it's size but that may have a lot to do with the way it handles in very high wind. Even on the ground it doesn't weather vein. Doesn't look near as good as the Birdy though.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 AM
Kaos Rulz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd,

My vote also goes to the DB (discounting my login name ) Both are excellent planes, but the DB's wing is slightly thinner making it penetrate the wind slightly better. As Dave mentioned, the landings can be a little hotter, unles you bleed off airspeed sooner. Although this helps if your approaching a head wind while landing. Watch the CG on the DB, being sure to keep it per instructions. Should it go slightly tail heavy, you may experience difficulty getting out of a flat spin, [X(] although it does a flat spin very well.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:18 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

As Todd says, the DB does a great flat spin but watch out for them, the DB takes about 4 - 5 turns to come out of it. That's what did in my first one. I started one too low and as soon as it flattened out I knew it was done for. About 10 more feet and I would have made it. When I got home I came in and ordered another kit before I even took the pieces out of the car

By the way, when I fly mine in windy conditions the guys at the field always comment about how well that plane handles the wind. Of course I'm working harder than they know but as slick as it is, it really does handle wind well. Once the wind exceeds 12 - 15 mph it's about the only thing I'll fly.

Dave
Old 12-14-2011, 05:02 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Dirty Birdy, Kaos and Daddy Rabbit. All great wind planes. MY DB pulled out of the flat spin in about two just like my Kaos. Both landed the same, not a nickles worth of difference. The Rabbit is a scratch/plans build and is the best of the three in real high wind. All of the old pattern planes fly pretty much the same but the DB did track a lot better/smoother. I have the templates, plans and instructions for another DB but at the price of the kit it isn't worth the time it takes to cut my own.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89888.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	1700071   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv53917.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	1700072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg98596.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	1700073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa32795.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1700074  
Old 12-20-2011, 08:27 AM
JHays

Have you thought of a Killer Kaos? This is in between Kaos and DB. I have ahd mine for two years now. Build from Bluejay kit. Fantastic flyer.

Name:	Tr50779.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	1702527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89424.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1702528   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv56161.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1702529  
Old 12-20-2011, 08:29 AM
JHays

More pics

Name:	Nl30175.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1702530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91254.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	1702531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va71582.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1702532  
Old 12-20-2011, 06:10 PM
iampilot2

Very nice JHays, I'm a big fan of classic pattern planes. Do you fly from paved runway?