Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Build desk necessities

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Build desk necessities

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 02:02 PM
dogginfox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Build desk necessities

I am setting up a build station after being away from the hobby for over 15 years. I am starting from scratch so I would like some input as to what I need to have at my desk for most builds. Currently my desk is topped with a hollow core door covered in wax paper. I have a large assortment of pins, sanding paper razor knives and glues, a heat gun and basic hand tools. What else do I need? Tips can you give me?
Old 01-07-2012, 03:04 PM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Build desk necessities

This might be overlooked but when I built mine I used two 15 amp circuits powering separate strip outlets. Now I can have two set of covering irons going at once and still be able to use a a soldering iron or magnifying lamp without blowing a circuit breaker.
John
Old 01-07-2012, 03:15 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The stick-um sandpaper, self healing cutting surface, and a decent battery drill. The hinge tool is a pretty dang handy little tool too.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: dogginfox

I am setting up a build station after being away from the hobby for over 15 years. I am starting from scratch so I would like some input as to what I need to have at my desk for most builds. Currently my desk is topped with a hollow core door covered in wax paper. I have a large assortment of pins, sanding paper razor knives and glues, a heat gun and basic hand tools. What else do I need? Tips can you give me?
Hello dogginfox,

It is difficult to give you tips based on your above description of what you have.

Some items I can mention you may have already but I will mention tools that are not typically in a household.

They can be acquired as the need shows up.

A surface in which you can push pins by hand. (I do not have that becasuse I use very few pins).

A Bremel high speed rotary hand tool with some drill bits, cutting disks, abrasive drums of different diameters.

A small vertical drill press with a chuck up to 3/8" capacity.

A rotary and belt sander that use a 6" dia abrasive disk of different grits and the belt part using 3" but preferably 4" wide belts. Very useful for trimming parts to exact size and fit. Should have adjustable tables to set angles.

A table saw. Size depending on other type of work you may do.

Place to store wood if you scratch build.

Good illumination (fluorescent ligts) coming from all around to avoid shadows while fitting parts.

Lots of clamps including "clothes pins" .

Other fellows here will no doubt give their outlook as well.

One thing for sure ___you do not need $10,000.00 worth of tools and machinery ______.

Enjoy the proper tool when needed.

Zor

P.S.: I was typing while others posted. I had not seen their postings.

Old 01-07-2012, 03:52 PM
G8er

I am in the same boat as you dogginfox, I am short on garage space, and mine is neither cooled or heated and here in phoenix I dont want to be roasting instead of building/playin. So I am useing a spare room and as it will be used as a place for someone to sleep in if need be when the time comes around I need to keep it somewhat clean. So I am using a folding 6' plastic plastic cafateria style table, and going to lay a peice of either 1" or 1/2" rigid foam board over that so I can use T pins and if some glue leaks threw clean up will be easy. Useful tools I have found were table top caddys for storage of x-acto blades and misc stuff, as well a multi arm aligator clamp is useful for times of need when you wish you had 11 fingers. Also a handy tool that wasnt really avail back when you were building is a handy glue holder that wont tip over, I tried to find a link, but for somereason I can't find the dang thing.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Minnreefer

I just spent most of Friday at a friends house and we largely scratch built 2 20 size stik planes. The only things we used were 2 hollow doors, a small table top scroll saw, a few sharp exacto knives, glue, home made plans, and a pile of balsa. I guess we also had a couple squares and straight edges. I wish we had a band saw or table saw, but we managed.

I guess my point is one does not need much.

I feel good about it since I have not built a kit in 20 years, granted my friend has built 30 in the last 20 years.

Good luck.

Jon
Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 PM
dogginfox

Thanks for all the quick responses. Looks like the only thing I am missing is a small scroll saw, I'll have to check out what harbor freight has tomorrow
Old 01-08-2012, 04:18 AM
Toysareforkids
My Feedback: (4)

I can't go without my Lasy susan toolholders, That way I have most, of the most often used stuff on my bench all the time, with a handle. Except for my 3 different xacto knives, and junk holders,that sit on the work bench. And it gives your helpers more room, so that their not in your way!

Pat
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28978.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1711257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66711.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1711258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59046.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1711259  
Old 01-08-2012, 06:13 AM
carrellh

If you are not cutting your own kits the scroll saw is low on the list of needed items. I bought a variable speed Ryobi a few years ago and used it once or twice.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:12 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"I bought a variable speed Ryobi a few years ago and used it once or twice."

I have a whole garage FULL of stuff that I have only used once or twice, but when you need it, there is nothing else that does the job as well.

Les
Old 01-08-2012, 07:14 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"I bought a variable speed Ryobi a few years ago and used it once or twice."

I have a whole garage FULL of stuff that I have only used once or twice, but when you need it, there is nothing else that does the job as well.

Les
Old 01-08-2012, 07:45 AM
sonsight
My Feedback: (1)

Gotta get a Dremel/ with the sanding drums!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:02 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Actually you have all the basics. Make sure the door is flat. I'd put something on top of the door like sheetrock or ceiling tiles so the pins are easier to use. Or use a magnetic system as decribed here. http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...oard/index.htm Everything else is stuff that makes building easier. I use my scroll saw a lot. I also love having a dremel.

I can spend hours reading every techique Paul uses at his web site. http://www.airfieldmodels.com/index.html
John
Old 01-08-2012, 08:36 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use my dremel often too. I have one of those dingleberry looking burrs that I like better than the drums.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

Delete
Old 01-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Jetdktr
My Feedback: (21)

CUPHOLDER to hold that large chilled beverage while thinking "why did I want to build this thing"?
Old 01-08-2012, 07:07 PM
saramos

Hi Dogginfox,

Here's a couple of site recommendations. One that has a lot of tips and techniques for building, tools and materials is a great site run by Paul Johnson (Known as cafeenman here on RCU) is

www.airfieldmodels.com

Check it out. I'm sure it'll become one of those sites that you will return to often. I use his magnetic build system.
For a good selection of modeling tools, check out

www.micromark.com

For good deals on fasteners, check out these two sites

www.rtlfasteners.com
www.microfasteners.com

If you get into scale building, chances are you will end up doing some fiberglass coverings and possibly fiberglass parts. These sites are good for glass and carbon supplies

www.cstsales.com
http://www.acpsales.com

Hope these help

Scott
Old 01-09-2012, 10:22 AM
kenh3497

To help control balsa sanding dust, I bought a 20 inch box fan and duct taped a 20 inch furnace filter to it. Get the fan going before you start to sand to set up an airflow pattern in the room. It's surprising how much gets sucked into the filter.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:53 PM
G8er

ORIGINAL: kenh3497

To help control balsa sanding dust, I bought a 20 inch box fan and duct taped a 20 inch furnace filter to it. Get the fan going before you start to sand to set up an airflow pattern in the room. It's surprising how much gets sucked into the filter.
I am going to do something very similar for a indoor painting booth, for when I use my airbrush with lacquer paints, except I am going to use a box with a whole cut on the bottom and tip it on its side and run a duct out a window. I will think about upgrading the fan size to double as a dust collection.