Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Phaeton 90 Wing Tips

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Phaeton 90 Wing Tips

Old 08-26-2003, 01:18 PM
TopRCDawg
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phaeton 90 Wing Tips

I do not like the wing tips for my Phaeton 90 - I hate shaping and sanding those blocks. Can the wing tips be left off completely, or should I try to build wing tips of comparable shape to the original ones (using sheet pieces instead)?

Thanks so much for your help.

TopRCDawg
Old 08-26-2003, 02:36 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about solid balsa blocks on the wing tip? Mine isnt setup that way. The leading and trailing edges are blocked and the center is open structure. I suppose you could do flat wing tips as is done on the ultimate, but (in my opinion) the P90 wouldnt look right. I have heard, (just repeating what I have read in books), that flat wing tips give a faster roll rate. Cant vouch for that personally though. Sanding can go real fast if you use those aluminum sanding bars with aluminum oxide 80 grit stick on sand paper. I can do a one piece hollowed block in about 20 min. Blocked LE and TE on the tips should only take 5 min. or so. But in the end, do what you want. It dont matter what anybody else thinks.

FYI- Did the maiden flight on mine last sat. Very Very Good!

Edwin
Old 08-26-2003, 04:57 PM
TopRCDawg
My Feedback: (11)

Default Clarifications

Yes, the LE and TE has blocks on top and bottom - that is what I am talking about. I was just wondering if they are just for looks on the wings or do they perform a vital function? I have covered a flat end wing (SIG SE) and was wondering how hard a shaped wing tip would really be - or if it can be omitted or redesigned.

Thanks, Edwin. Where did you put your servos and how do you access them? I am thinking of putting the aileron servos in the wing ribs (beefed up of course) and a pull-pull on the rudder. I am powering with a TT Pro 120.

I love building!
Old 08-26-2003, 05:07 PM
Edwin

No vital function that I know of.
For servos, thats pretty much what I did. Aileron servos in the wing, elevator, rudder, and throttle in the lower wing saddle area. Pull pull for the rudder with a tiller. I used 4-40 rod and fittings. Also ailerons on both wings with trailing edge couplers. On low rates it has a pretty decent roll. I may tone down the high rates a bit due to the crispness of the roll and the loop. This is gonna be fun!!
Edwin
Old 08-27-2003, 07:00 PM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

I've always liked the look of the Phaetons. Would a YS .91 AC be sufficient power for the 90?
Dennis-
Old 08-27-2003, 11:24 PM
hoops
My Feedback: (121)

I suspect that the tip blocks do add a bit of strength to most tip installations. However, it seems to me the idea is usually just to keep the tip covering from sagging and making a divot past the last rib. The filler provides a smooth transition from the last rib and wing sheeting (a vertical plane, sts) to the tip plate (which is a horizontal plane). Of course it's always up to the builder to decide what he or she likes best. I agree about the aethetics of this particular plane. But having said that, there have been several kits that I deleted the tips and went with the flat end. But these have all been mono-wing planes, not a bipe.
Old 08-28-2003, 12:15 PM
Edwin

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesnt the DP Ultimate have flat tips? There is one at our field, but I've only seen 3 or 4 times. Seems like I recall flat wing tips on it. Either way, thats the only bipe I'm aware of with flat tips.
Edwin