Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Strut Painting Question

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Strut Painting Question

Old 02-14-2012, 05:16 PM
Homer712
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut Painting Question

Possibly, this should have gone in the "Beginners" forum, but having been in this hobby since the mid 1970's, I felt really stupid posting my question there. I'm building my first kit since retiring, a Sig 1/5 scale Cub (built kits a long, long time ago, but career got in the way so I went ARF just to be able to fly). Anyway, when I did build kits, all I did was cover the finished project. With the Sig Cub, there are wood struts that need to be painted. I'm looking at making them the same yellow that I plan for the plane itself (Solartex Cub Yellow). What is the process (sealing, priming, etc.) of the painting process? Thanks.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Strut Painting Question

If you don't want to iron something on you might get away with a light coat of sanding sealer then a rattle can of yellow.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:12 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I found it impossible to color match the Cub Yellow Solartex with any spray cans. I would iron some Solartex around the struts.

On my 1/3 Cub I covered the plane in Solartex and wound up having latex color matched to the Solartex for painting the cowl and the struts. I also sprayed 3 coats over the entire plane so it wouldn't be as translucent. I was really disapointed with the Solartex for this reason.
Good Luck!!
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56849.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1727142  
Old 02-14-2012, 06:34 PM
aussiesteve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wood Sealer then a light sanding then a coat of primer (I find a pink colored primer works best under cub yellow, Beige colored Primers seem to dilute the color) then apply the final paint color.

Any decent automotive paint supplier should be able to color match your Solartex color. Some even have the ability to add tints to spray cans.

I know it isn't your preference but painting the Struts in the color of your trim color is an alternative.