Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Best Kit for First Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Best Kit for First Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Snoblitz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Kit for First Build

Hey Guys -

First post here, but i've been lurking in the forums for a bit. There is some amazing build work going on here. You guys are truly talented! I'm hoping that I can get some guidance from you guys.

I'm relatively new to the hobby, across the board. Only have one plane at this point, a HZ Supercub. I've gotten to the point where i'm pretty comfortable with the thing and believe that I am ready to step up to am intermediate plane. Gotten some recent flight time on Phoenix in with some intermediates and am not having any issues.

So all that said, I've been trying to figure out which kit to pickup for my first build. I'm pretty decent with my hands and have plenty of patience. I would like something that will help me build a solid base knowledge on the build process. So, what do you guys think? Any solid recommendations based on your own experiences?

Thanks ahead of time for the help guys!

-Jeff

Old 04-15-2012, 12:10 PM
huck1199

Default RE: Best Kit for First Build

The Sig 4 star 40 is a good low wing intermeadiate skills plane and a good kit.

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig
Old 04-15-2012, 12:18 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Stepping up to a glow plane from a HZ Super Cub is a big step. I would look at a high wing glow plane to cut your teeth on. The Sig LT-40 makes a nice glow trainer and is a straight forward build. I could throw one together in a weekend.

If you want to learn more about building then a Sig Kadet would be in order. It is more a traditional stick construction build. They make nice flying planes and can be built with or wothout aileron's. I recommend building with aileron's.

If you want to step into a intermediate glow plane I would look seriously at the Sig 4*40 or 4*60 planes. These are fairly simple in construction and fly very well. I have never owned one but have flown a couple and put a maiden flight on one for a friend.

Great Planes also makes a nice high wing trainer.

If you want to learn building I would suggest getting a bit more of a challenging kit such as the Sig Kadet and buy an ARF high wing trainer to cut your teeth on in glow planes. You can always use the servo's and engine from the ARF to equip the Kadet when ready.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 04-15-2012, 12:21 PM
Snoblitz

Thanks for the recommendation. Looks like the link you dropped in here takes me to some landing page for an ARF model. Just want to be sure, is this what you meant to point me at?

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...rt_20Models_01
Old 04-15-2012, 12:31 PM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Clikck on aircraft on the left, then sport models & then 4 star 40. I think thats where your trying to get to.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Snoblitz

Thanks for the detailed response, Anthony! I'm looking at the Kadet LT-40. It looks like the kit comes with everything that Ineed? I have basic tools laying around the garage. Anything else that I should equip myself with before getting started?
Old 04-15-2012, 01:33 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SIG 4Star is a low wing trainer as it has plenty of dihedral that tends to bring things back to center when ya center the controls. The landings float nicely. Down side? Tail dragger - considered an up side by many. The 4Star is notably one of the best "1st time" kits available as it is laser cut and the instruction manual is considered by many to be second to none. In addition there are many many RCU members that have "been there, done that" and can provide you plenty of help. There are many build threads to help you as well.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:40 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

The LT-40 can be built with the very basic tools. A good square, level, and x-acto knife. A sanding bar is also a good tool to have.

You will need glue, 2 oz of med CA and 1 oz of thin CA. Epoxy for the firewall and wing joiner. A covering iron and heat gun and 2 rolls of covering.

I built this plane years ago and taught several people how to fly on it. It really fly's slow and is a gentle flyer.

You will also need a good flat surface to build on. Alot of guys buy hollow coor doors. You can put a piece of drywall down over the door to posh pins into to hold the parts while gluing and drying. The plane will only be as staright as the surface you build it on.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 04-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SIG 4* but the 60. I have been using this kit to teach building for a number of years. How it is built depends on the person that will be flying the plane. If he is a pretty good pilot then I like the Super Sportster. It too is a nice build but the plane is a bit better for stunt training. If it's a very good pilot then I will teach them with a Up-Roar. Very easy build, cheap kit and fully a stunt plane. If you need a trainer they are all pretty much the same and an easy build.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:06 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

Also consider Goldberg Tiger II or 60.  Both fly well.

I think fuselage is a bit easier to build on the Tiger.

Both this and 4* are excellent intermediate trainers that will slow down smoothly if you need to and land well.  Tiger is trike gear which I think makes for easier landings and ground handling..

Tom
Old 04-15-2012, 02:09 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

May also want to to reconsider the BTE Venture 60.  Bruce Tharpe designed the 4 Star 40 and this plane is a redesign and upgrade to get minor performance bugs out.

It is a marvelously made kit.

Tom
Old 04-15-2012, 04:15 PM
prgonzalez

GP Supersporter is a good one.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:20 PM
LargeScale88

Sig Somethin Extra, not sure if it fits the style you are looking for, but sig is right when they say it can be built as fast as you want with CA glue, you could frame it up in a week or two. The old saying is that you can throw a bottle of CA in the box, shake it, and out comes an airplane.

Not to mention its all laser cut and everything fits perfect.

Good luck and welcome to the world of kit building!

Jason
Old 04-15-2012, 04:21 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: noveldoc

May also want to to reconsider the BTE Venture 60. Bruce Tharpe designed the 4 Star 40 and this plane is a redesign and upgrade to get minor performance bugs out.

It is a marvelously made kit.

Tom
Tom,

I agree with you about the V60.......problem is it always not available. I bought mine a year ago and glad I did because it is not available at this time according to the BTE webpage. I heard that at one time it was out of production for 2-3 years........if it becomes available again, I'll but one just to have as an extra. You are right though, the kit is the best I have seen.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:29 PM
SeamusG

Old 04-15-2012, 04:40 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

Just looked up the BTE V60. The ''Good-n-Plenty'' covering is outstanding! What does ''temporarily out of stock'' really mean?
Means you better pick up the phone and call then try to get someone to give you an honest answer!!
I just wanted to say to the OP that there are a bunch of nice kits out on the market. A lot of what a person chooses is more about flying ability, building ability counts but almost anyone that can read and follow instructions can build a kit. Go look at the SIG web site too. SIG makes some great kits and all there planes fly great as long as the builder is up to it.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:58 PM
outdoorhunting

I'll vote for the 4* series. Do yourself a favor, get a "60" size. Bigger planes are easier to see & fly better. Also, the parts will be a little larger. If you have big hands, it will be a big plus!! Good Luck
Old 04-15-2012, 06:03 PM
SeamusG

Old 04-15-2012, 06:47 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

This was designed with you in mind:
http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/426.htm
I've not seen one yet though. The LT-40 is the best flying trainer made, but the Balsa USA kit is made to teach you how and why of building.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:19 PM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll vote for both the 4Star or the Somethin' Extra. The Somethin' Extra is a very versatile flyer, as well as a superb kit. I'm going to be building my third one soon, just gotta have a SSE in the hangar. Either way, you just can't go wrong with a Sig kit.

And, congratulations on taking the building plunge! It can be a frustrating, expensive, rewarding life-long learning experience!
Old 04-15-2012, 07:46 PM
SeamusG

Old 04-15-2012, 08:27 PM
Snoblitz

Wow, so much info here guys! This is awesome! So as I said in my first post, I'm just flying my foam HZ Supercub right now. I've gotten to the point where I can pretty much do what I want with it, but it's a limited plane in terms of performance. I'd like something with a little more power, but at the same time - I'm still what I would consider a beginner. Here are some of the things that I am looking for in my next plane:

+ Ailerons - rudder only flying seems so one dimensional
+ Maybe a retractable landing gear - just because I've got this unused channel on my DX5e
+ High or low wing doesn't necessarily matter to me. I guess whatever seems like the right next step in learning to fly.
+ Would like a model that is somewhat popular, making it easy to find other build threads. I figure that'll help get me out of a bind if I get stuck.
+ Would like to be able to customize the plane. Both cosmetic and functionally in the future.
+ Want to strap my GoPro Hero2 that I just ordered on to this badboy someday. I need to know what my house looks like from the air and I want to spy on my neighbors.

Essentially, I want a kit that will help me build a solid foundation in terms of build skills. I want a model that will help me take my flying skills to the next level.

Thanks again for all the help guys! This is fantastic!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:26 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: SeamusG

ORIGINAL: soarrich

This was designed with you in mind:
http://shop.balsausa.com/product_p/426.htm
Oh goodie - die cut parts for the guy's 1st kit. Emmmmmm, really?

Bottom line - if it puts a smile on your face and you really WANTto spend time at your building table then THAT's the plane for you.

Oops - forgot to ask the all important question: Why do you want to build a plane? Just to build a plane and hang it in the rafters?Probably not. So what kind of plane do you want for your next flier? A high wing trainer with a flat bottom wing that will float all day long? A plane that will allow you to get to the next level of flying competence? Are you ready to up your game and want an "aerobatic capable" sport plane with semi-symetrical wings? Something that can do inverted flight as easily as upright flight and string straight axial rolls? Sooooooooo many options - ain't this hobby GREAT?

When you answer those questions then your learned audience can toss some "need fulfilling"suggestions your way.

If ya like to do research check out Airfield Models. Think that you just might like to browse the site for a while - but be forewarned - be prepared to bookmark a bunch of pages!

Really? You slam some guy's recommendation and then put up a link for a page that hasn't been update in over 3 years? And the latest info they show is 5 years old?

Old 04-16-2012, 04:33 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I am surprised not one recommendation for any of the Top Flite, Hobbico or Tower Hobby models.  Laser cut, interlocking parts make them very easy to build.  And very good instruction manuals.

Also, do make yourself a building board.  I like to use a piece of birch, solid core plywood (regular plywood core also works) with a 3/4 to 1 inch sheet of styrofoam insulation glued to the top.  Building on insulation foam is a great way to keep you stick pins in place instead of forcing them into hard wood.  And it absorbs some exacto knife cuts. 
Old 04-16-2012, 04:34 AM
Hemikiller
My Feedback: (125)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Snoblitz

Wow, so much info here guys! This is awesome! So as I said in my first post, I'm just flying my foam HZ Supercub right now. I've gotten to the point where I can pretty much do what I want with it, but it's a limited plane in terms of performance. I'd like something with a little more power, but at the same time - I'm still what I would consider a beginner. Here are some of the things that I am looking for in my next plane:

+ Ailerons - rudder only flying seems so one dimensional
+ Maybe a retractable landing gear - just because I've got this unused channel on my DX5e
+ High or low wing doesn't necessarily matter to me. I guess whatever seems like the right next step in learning to fly.
+ Would like a model that is somewhat popular, making it easy to find other build threads. I figure that'll help get me out of a bind if I get stuck.
+ Would like to be able to customize the plane. Both cosmetic and functionally in the future.
+ Want to strap my GoPro Hero2 that I just ordered on to this badboy someday. I need to know what my house looks like from the air and I want to spy on my neighbors.

Essentially, I want a kit that will help me build a solid foundation in terms of build skills. I want a model that will help me take my flying skills to the next level.

Thanks again for all the help guys! This is fantastic!
Fuel airplanes fly much faster than the HZ SC could ever dream of. I would stick with a high wing trainer as suggested and build it stock to learn the basics of modeling. You can always customize your next model or go back in later.

Popular and proven trainers:

Great Planes PT-40 or 60
Sig Kadet LT-40
Hobby Lobby Telemaster

I also recommend you support your local hobby shop, find one with a knowledgable, helpful staff.

http://www.gpdealera.com/cgi-bin/wcA56910ap.pgm?V=GPM

You should look into joining a club with an instruction program. Fuel planes are not something that should be flown in your neighborhood. Using the Snohomish ZIP of 98290, there are two within 10 miles. If yopur skills are up to par, you will probably only need a check out flight with one of their instructors. If you need more work, they'll get you into a program to learn the basics and start you down the right path. Take your time and learn the basics of flight. I've seen way too many people shortchange themselves in the training stages and advance too quickly. Those same people went from trainers to warbirds or 3D planes and are still piling them in to this day...

http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.