Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig Kadet LT-40 Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig Kadet LT-40 Build

Old 04-26-2012, 07:33 AM
FlyingTgr6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Kadet LT-40 Build

I'm a bit apprehensive about starting this thread. This will be my first aircraft build. I've been doing a lot of research on how the build will go and feel pretty confident in how it will all come together. I don't plan on starting the build for at least a couple more weeks because I still have to purchase a few things to get started. I did, however want to go ahead a post the covering/decal scheme I've been working on to at least get the ball rolling. It's based on the Piper Grasshopper. I didn't really want to go the "civil aviation" route. Anyway, while I wait to get the rest of the stuff to start the build, what are your thoughts on the way I'd like to cover it and what are some things I should know that the intructions may not get into before I start? Oh yeah and the blank template that I used for the scheme came from a post on here. If you are the one who made it, I've forgotten your username and offer my thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46975.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1755199  
Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Default RE: Sig Kadet LT-40 Build

For a trainer I'd say there's two things wrong with the covering scheme. First is it's too symmetrical, second even though it has some color in it it's made to disappear and blend in with the greenery.

Too symmetrical... You want to be able to quickly tell the top from the bottom.

Blend in with the greenery... That's a good thing if someone is trying to shoot you, bad if you're making your first landing and the plane descends out of the blue sky into the area that that is covered by the tree line. [:@]
Old 04-26-2012, 01:14 PM
tschuy
My Feedback: (1)

I would have to agree... Being that this is your first airplane and a first to take up into the air with your fists on the radio, Iwould strongly recommend that the bottom and top of the airplane be covered in two contrasting colors. This helps with you identifying the top from the bottom of the airplane while in flight. Stay away from blues and green colors. Reds, yellows and oranges seem to be the better colors and maybe through some black markings in for good measure. All of this will help with identifying (in a panic situation) which way is up or down.

Save the fancy covering jobs for a later date. You'll be glad that you did...

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:29 PM
FlyingTgr6

hmm, I hadn't thought of that. I still would like to keep it somewhat "military-esque" so maybe some "Air Force Test Plane Neon Orange" is in order. Rather than the tail and the nose being what color they are, I'll make that the orange as well as the under side of the wing.
Old 04-26-2012, 05:39 PM
fledermaus

Definitely go for visibility. Back during WW II here in Canada we had the "Commonwealth Air Training Programme" which trained thousands of RAF and RCAF pilots. They painted all their planes a bright yellow, a bit redder than "Cub Yellow", to avoid midair problems. That makes a great colour scheme for an LT-40 although you probably want to distinguish the upper/lower surfaces as the other guys suggested.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:22 PM
foodstick

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could always go with the pt-17 kind of look...bright yellow wing Blue and gray on fuse big stars and bars, and numbers.. always looks good...
Old 04-26-2012, 06:25 PM
FlyingTgr6

That there is a good looking plane.....thanks for the suggestion!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 PM
FlyingTgr6

Well I finally ordered the rest of the stuff I need to get started, so in a week or two, I'll be able to start. I'm thinking that I'm going to go ahead and start with the vertical/horizontal stabs. I'm moving soon and I don't want to get too deep into the build so that I dont have to worry about screwing something up.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:28 PM
acdii

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Here is my '40. Itend to agree with the others, in fact before I started reading I saw the colors and thought, that will disappear quickly. Imade mine red, white and blue. The Kadet decals help with oreintation. This is a very sweet flying bird, and if built stock is even sweeter. mine is a tail dragger with a 1" Dihedral wing, instead of the tri gear 3 1/2" wing.

Name:	us53310.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	1756702  
Old 04-29-2012, 05:51 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: foodstick

You could always go with the pt-17 kind of look...bright yellow wing Blue and gray on fuse big stars and bars, and numbers.. always looks good...
If you go with the PT17 look, differentiate the bottom. Perhaps 3 wide blue stripes on each wing side, LEto TE, wide enough to cover entire wing bays. This will make cutting square film panels and all 4 sides will be supported by wing structure - front-LE, sides-wing ribs, rear-TE. I recall seeing a covering scheme similar to the PT17 while lurking. Want to say that it was a Hog Bipe. Thinking that the builder used cub yellow, red and dark blue ultrakote.

Old 05-06-2012, 05:48 PM
FlyingTgr6

Well I started building the fin this past weekend...scary! I need to get a miter box I think. Here's a few pics of what I have done so far. I sort of have the feeling that I need to start over, but I'll make that determination when I see how it will fit into the fuse.

Name:	Vt58828.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1759826   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76920.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1759827  
Old 05-06-2012, 07:36 PM
tschuy

It really doesn't look bad at all. I actually seen stuff much worse. A little sanding with a 12" sanding block will pretty it up nicely.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:51 PM
tschuy

When I built my BTE Flying King and Super Flying King I bought this http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXG875&P=7 and this to clean up the cuts: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXG876&P=M .  Both airplanes have a lot of miter cuts to build out the fuselage....

Old 05-06-2012, 07:55 PM
FlyingTgr6

That seems way better than the stuff I had picked out...this Friday...buying both of them...thanks for the heads up! It's exactly what I need.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:14 PM
tschuy

I've learn to cut just ever so slightly long and then sand it down to fit the desired location and angle....

Here's what my Flying King looked like: http://www.btemodels.com/fkgallery/tschuy.htm

Take your time and cut carefully and your airplane can look the same....

Old 05-06-2012, 08:17 PM
FlyingTgr6

Beautiful looking plane, sir. My problem is not taking my time, because I do...took me two hours just to get the fin pinned and glued. My problem is that it seems almost impossible for me to make a good cut...lol
Old 05-06-2012, 08:32 PM
tschuy

Thank you for the great comments... I've built a few airplanes to get to the quality that shows. The two tools that I shared with you will help keep your cuts straight and true. Follow my reccomendation of cutting just slightly over-length and then use the sanding tool to get the part to fit perfectly. Do exercise some care when sanding. As it is easy to go too far. Just do a stroke or two, check the fit and make the necessary adjustments.

True it may take a little longer to get the peices built, but having near perfect fit on the cuts will certainly show their worth with the finished product. If you have the same experience as I did, you'll want to show off your work and use the transparent film to cover the airplane and show off your hard earned work.

Good luck on the build. Search the RCUfor idea's on how to do things and always ask questions. There are a ton of really wonderful folks here that would love to share some of their building knowledge and experience. Its what makes this hobby so rewarding. The fellowship with a common interest...
Old 05-06-2012, 08:38 PM
FlyingTgr6

Oh yeah, I've had plently of help around here...this is actually the best community I've ever had the pleasure of posting with. Most other forums, of differing hobbies, treat new people like a disease and I'm glad to see this one is not like that.

I started with the fin because I knew that if I effed it up, I could easily buy new balsa at my LHS and start over. I didn't want to get into the laser cut parts until I knew I had it down.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:29 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

I bought one of these, works great. http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...saw-42307.html

I found if you don't build a lot you can just cut the piece long, then use the edge of the door, (I build on a hollow core door), to keep the sanding block vertical and sand in the angled cut. After I have the angle right I use the edge and the end of the door to get a nice square end on the piece at the right length.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:37 AM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FT6 - you said that you need a miter box. The slot of plastic ones will "open up" after use - no longer 90 degree cut. But then that's what a straight sanding bar is for. Just needs a little practice. Also, measure accurately and cut long. You can use the sanding bar to refine the fit especially when the angle is not 90 degrees - like where the stab and fin supports meet their respective leading edges. Trial and error until it right.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:20 AM
tschuy

ORIGINAL: soarrich

I bought one of these, works great. http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...saw-42307.html

I found if you don't build a lot you can just cut the piece long, then use the edge of the door, (I build on a hollow core door), to keep the sanding block vertical and sand in the angled cut. After I have the angle right I use the edge and the end of the door to get a nice square end on the piece at the right length.
Thats a cool piece of hardware to have. will have to go check it out....

Thanks for sharing....

Old 05-07-2012, 12:30 PM
G8er

Gez $28! I am going to go find the nearest harbor freight and check that out for myself lol
Old 05-07-2012, 02:32 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: FlyingTgr6

Well I started building the fin this past weekend...scary! I need to get a miter box I think. Here's a few pics of what I have done so far. I sort of have the feeling that I need to start over, but I'll make that determination when I see how it will fit into the fuse.
Your fine! It's only wood.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:42 PM
FlyingTgr6

I think the excitment of finally starting got to me...lol I've had this kit sitting under my bed for months while I waited to collect all the tools I would need. So the next time I attack it, I will be a bit more methodical in how I do things. This first building session actually taught me a lot. Of course so have all of you, albeit indirectly, from reading your build posts.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:22 PM
tschuy

you'll do fine on this build....

Only thing that I would use a little more caution with is being careful with you T-pin incertions through the sticks. Be careful how close to the ends you get. On soft balsa its okay, but the first time you try to push one through a peice of hard balsa you'll risk the chance of spliting the end. My practice with building has been pin the front and aft leading edges of the structure to the building board. Then using the thin CA glue and hold the pieces of wood together and let the thin CA wick into the joint. When it is set (usually within 10 to 30 seconds) release my hold and move on to the next piece. When all fished putting the pieces together, I'll carefully remove the finished structure from the building board and follow up with medium CAto strengthen the joints and allow it to fill what ever gaps are there. If they are a bit larger then expected, place some balsa sawdust (left over from sanding another part) into the gap and CA it in place.

This practice has work for nearly a dozen airframes that I've build and never had a failure from a glue joint.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.