Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Midwest Wood Products

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Midwest Wood Products

Old 05-21-2012, 11:07 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Midwest Wood Products

I remember buying balsa wood and aircraft plywood in the 90's and it was as marked. I mean if the label said it was 6 X 12 X 1/16 aircraft ply then that's what the measurments were. The same with balsa wood. I recently purchased someMidwest6 X 12 X 1/16 aircraft ply from the local Hobby Lobby for $4.99 asheetand when I went to use it I realized that it was really 5 7/8 X 11 7/8 X 1/16. Did I miss something the 12 yrs I was out of the hobby? Has aircraft ply went the way of the 3lb. can of coffee? Are we getting less for more from Midwest or is it that way with all balsa dealers?

KaP2011
Ultra Sport Brotherhood #110
Old 05-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Rv7garage
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Midwest Wood Products

It's the same as buying a 2x4. Its not really 2x4. [:@]
Old 05-21-2012, 11:42 AM
KaP2011

It has not always been like that. I've still got some wood that was bought in the 90's that is full measurment.

KaP2011
Old 05-22-2012, 06:10 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"It's the same as buying a 2x4. Its not really 2x4."

Not quite. A 2x4 has a valid excuse for not being 2x4. It was a "rough cut" 2x4. After they smoothed out the sides, it is no longer that dimension.

6 x 12 should be 6 x 12, within 1 mm, because it is ALL metric these days, and they don't speak inches.

5 7/8 x 11 7/8 called 6 x 12, IS a rip off.

Les
Old 05-22-2012, 06:31 AM
KaP2011

I agree Les.
I got a form letter response from Midwest this morning saying that their dimensions are posted in their catalog and that the actual size is 3/32 under the posted dimension. It was not 3/32 it was 4/32 under!
Why not just put the actual size on the label? It is missleading to post the wrong size and assume the buyer is buying from a catalog. It is an attempt to cheat the consumer.
I didn't have their catalog in my hand when I was standing in the Hobby Lobby and it was not stated on the label.
It is a rip off and I will no longer buy any Midwest products at all.

KaP2011
Old 05-22-2012, 10:24 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

At one point in time Mid West had products but like most kit cutters they are long gone. When I need a piece of wood I would go to Michale's Craft store and buy a piece of Mid West wood, pay through the nose for it too. It is usually just something I needed to finish a scratch builds. There wood is also almost as hard as hard wood so I like it for different things in a build.
HOWEVER, in no way would I ever go to a hobby shop to buy my wood for a build!!! I buy in bulk from places like Lone Star Balsa, I started using National Balsa now days. My last build LS didn't have everything I needed so I gave National a try and they are now my go to company. Is everything cut exactly to size?? I don't know, I have never measured it. It is however some very good wood and I will be placing an order this week with them but tomorrow I will be going to Hobby People and Hobby Town to buy a little wood so I can keep building while I'm waiting on my order, about 3 days until it is at my door.
Things have changed over the years, some good, some bad. At this point in time I'm not going to worry too much about a silly millimeter or two but yes, it is a rip off. I also cut a lot of my own wood, hardwood stringers and even balsa, You can buy balsa in 2X4 planks and cut your own, I do but I belong to a great wood working club with nothing but the best of equipment but a good table saw will do the job for most people.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:23 PM
nekked_man_2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've gotten wood from lone star and it's usually been a little over size, I like that, I can straighten the edges and trim it to size. I don't think I've ever gotten any undersize, that would stink since a lot of my plans call for a 3" wide sheet for this or that piece of sheeting.

austin