Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Best paint for firewalls?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Best paint for firewalls?

Old 06-07-2012, 05:37 PM
faceman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best paint for firewalls?

Just curious what guys are using now to coat and give some color to firewalss, turrtledecks,etc. ? Used to use K&B hobby poxy (think that was the name). It was a two part that you mixed and could get a decent finish with a foam brush. Tried some paints from HD and Lowes and they are no match for the nitro fuel. Hear of people using auto paint but I'm thinking it would be a little pricey? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:46 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Best paint for firewalls?

RustOleum paint works well.

Karol
Old 06-07-2012, 05:48 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I paint the firewall with Grey Dope, then coat it with epoxy. Looks very clean, stays absolutely fuel proof for decades.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:16 PM
SunDevilPilot

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could get some Klass Kote. Basically the same as the old K&B Hobbypoxy. 

I painted my last plane with Klass Kote and really enjoyed the paint. 

I covered the painting process in my thread but here is a direct link to the page with the finished plane. 

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8857500/mpage_34/key_/tm.htm

I can also speak highly for the comany too. Great to do business with them. 

SunDevilPilot
Old 06-08-2012, 06:11 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, KlassKote is the way to go.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

For painting a complete plane I use Kalss Kote. It is a two part epoxy just like the old K&B. THe KK part B even works with the old part A K&B.
For just a fire wall then LusterKote paint. Fire walls is about all it is good for. I also have some old Ultrakote paint on hand.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:35 PM
faceman

Guys thanks for the replys. I like the idea of Klass Kote but think the 30 dollar price tag is a bit over budget for my little sig Kobra. I used to love the old K&B so next build project I'll spend the bucks on the good stuff. This plane is assembled and flying just had to chane motor mount cause I put an new engine on it. I did pick up some rustoleum in a can at lowes so may give that a shot this time. Anyone ever just put paint into fiberglas resin to color it and roll it on or foam brush it on? Wondering if this would work. I may add some of that rustoleum to it and give that a go too. Thanks again.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:54 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Try it on a piece of scrap first, but I see no reason why it should not work okay.

Karol
Old 06-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: faceman

Guys thanks for the replys. I like the idea of Klass Kote but think the 30 dollar price tag is a bit over budget for my little sig Kobra. I used to love the old K&B so next build project I'll spend the bucks on the good stuff. This plane is assembled and flying just had to chane motor mount cause I put an new engine on it. I did pick up some rustoleum in a can at lowes so may give that a shot this time. Anyone ever just put paint into fiberglas resin to color it and roll it on or foam brush it on? Wondering if this would work. I may add some of that rustoleum to it and give that a go too. Thanks again.
Keep in mind when thinking about the Klass Kote. Part A is high dollar, part B is high Dollar but then it mixes down 50/50 then another 50% with thinner so it goes a long way. Cowl painting is fine if you have left over part A and B plus a air brush. I have a little part A of two colors left over but no part B on hand. I do have some Lusterkote and Ultrakote paint on hand, it is fuel proof. The Rustoleum is often fuel proof butr not always!!!! The longer you let it set up the better. I let the Rust set up for about 10 days after using it.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:49 PM
faceman

Just put some rustoleum white into epoxy resin. Didn't stay as bright white but passable for a firewall for sure. Rolled it on with a foam roller and it layed down nice and smooth. We'll see what I get in the morning.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:10 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Remove
Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 AM
faceman

The epoxy resin mixed with rustoleum worked fine. Only thing is it didnt stay as bright white as it was in the rustoleum can. So far so good nice and fuel proof. 3 flights on it yesterday and all is well.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:45 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

What type of Rustolium are you using?

I don't think all of the Rustolium products are fuel proof.

Greg
Old 06-11-2012, 10:41 AM
faceman

Greg. Bought the rustoleum at Lowes. It came in a can. I mixed up some epoxy resin and dumped the rustoleum into it to give it color. So far its fuel proof. At least it din't come off when I flew that plane this weekend.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:19 PM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

I usually mask off the fire wall and paint it the color that I want, then after the paint has dried I go over it with 30 minute epoxy. The epoxy is fuelproof and seals the edges of the covering around the fire wall so fuel cannot get underneath. I have never had fuel soaked wood on my models after doing it this way.