Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

G-FAST build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

G-FAST build

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2023, 06:22 AM
ortmayerm
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....after a few hours.

I now glued in the vertical fin in the same manor as the horizontal.

Old 05-24-2023, 06:58 AM
ortmayerm

Once the vertical fin set up I started fitting the side sheeting. I think I spent about a half a day fitting the left and right sides. Lots of trimming, sanding, pinning, taping, and most of all, patience......oh and more pinning.....
I had to keep the sides damp to get the balsa to curve. This sheeting is 1/8 balsa and was a slight pain to shape in a few areas. Once satisfied, I glued them in. Once the sides were completely dry I fitted the top balsa block. I didn't want to rush the glueing so I waited an extra day before I started sanding/shaping. Also, my balsa filler ended up becoming no good. I had to put an order in. Hope to get that in a few days.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:12 AM
ortmayerm

Since I'm waiting on a few things to arrive in the mail for the fuselage, I decided to jump back over to the wings. I also want to keep things moving along. Because its been so fricken long from when I last worked on this plane, I forgot that I never built the ailerons. I spent 30 min looking for something I never built..yikes!😖
Anyway, I built them over the plans as shown. Nothing too special there. I did make a provision in the bottom sheeting of the aileron for lite ply. This is for the control horn mounting. I also filled in that pocket with balsa to strengthen.

Last edited by ortmayerm; 05-24-2023 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:58 PM
ortmayerm

I finally finished the ailerons. I rounded the roots just enough to achieve at least +/- 20 degrees of deflection. I also added 3/32 lite ply to the bottom of the ailerons to support the control horn. I didn't want it compressing the balsa during flight. At the time I originally started this post I had ordered the CF landing gear from GraphTech RC. I had used their products before and had great success with their stuff. Sadly, I don't believe they are in business anymore. I think JTEC is selling CF landing gear these days. I have yet to purchase their products.

Old 06-16-2023, 05:03 PM
ortmayerm

Checking wing alignment

It's starting to come together
Old 06-18-2023, 03:04 PM
ortmayerm

Next steps over the next day or so...

-mount the tail landing gear and hook up linkage
-mount the main landing gear, wheels, and wheel pants
-cut canopy and finish off the cockpit
-make the elevator control rod assembly

I will post some pictures when finished.
Old 06-21-2023, 08:30 AM
ortmayerm

Does anyone out there know if Fiberglass Specialties is still in business? There website is up and I only get a voicemail that is hard to make out. Unfortunately this model does not come with a suggested cowl. I was hoping they could help me out with a generic cowl option. I really want to avoid having to fabricate a plug and build a mold to produce one single fiberglass cowl. Any info will help, thanks.