Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Help with midwest pt-17 super stearman

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Help with midwest pt-17 super stearman

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:44 PM
ERIKESNK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with midwest pt-17 super stearman

Hello to Everyone here and a big thank you all ahead of time. Ok, I am trying to finish up my Midwest super stearman and have royally scuffed myself. I had to move from my house in order to rent it out so I would not lose it (I got laid off) well now 2 years later I am back and wanting to finish my kit I have all the instructions and blue prints but in the kit came with some revised drawings of the wing struts to change the angle of the top wing. Yah I lost that I have looked for 2 weeks called tower and Midwest and there is nothing for this anymore. So does anyone have this or could send me a picture of one of the outer struts next to a ruler so I can make a correct scale drawing of this? Once again thank you very much. Kirk
Ps. Take off is optional landing is mandatory !
Old 06-18-2012, 06:06 AM
twhite346
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Help with midwest pt-17 super stearman

Hi Kirk,
I have a Midwest Stearman kit I plan on building this winter. I just checked both boxes, and didn't find a revised drawing of the interplane struts, but in the instruction book on building the struts, it indicates that the top wing incidence "has been changed to -1 degree of incidence to improve flight characteristics". It goes on to tell how to shim, and or bend fuse cabane struts to achieve this. It does not however indicate how to change the interplane struts. I will (when I get that far ha ha ) mount both wings, adjust top wing for minus 1 degree, and the measure and build the interplane struts after I am sure both wings are where they should be It appears theat the "proper" incidence of the botton wing will be "built into the fuse". I did not go so far as to check the fuse plan to see if there is an incidence listed. My instruction book also tells to use a Robart incidence meter to check your incidence. This is an invaluable tool when building. I sold all of mine a few years back when I got out of the hobby for a time. BUT I have a buddy that has several, and he is close by. LOL. I don't know weather this will help or not. I hope so. If you have any further questions, or suggestions for me before I start you can email me at:  [email protected]. You will  get a much faster response.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:53 PM
crossman

Here are the supplements to the Stearman manual, including the interplane strut.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Tq48524.pdf (1.86 MB, 80 views)
Old 06-19-2012, 05:49 AM
ERIKESNK

THANK YOU!!!! This is what I needed, I will post some pictures soon the motor I will be using on this one is an Sato 125 with a smoke pipe. Plane colors black, yellow and red pin stripes.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:00 AM
crossman

I have a Saito 125 for mine too. I am planning a color scheme similar to the one on the box but with blue instead of black. But I haven't bought the Ultracote yet, so anything could happen.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:28 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: crossman

Here are the supplements to the Stearman manual, including the interplane strut.

Thanks !

twhite had problems with printing them out, so I did it for him. When he came over to pic up the revision sheets, he spent most of his time staring at my Stearman. LOL

I'm sure, thanks to your assistance, Terry will will build a great looking and nice flying, bird.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:14 AM
AlexGuz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the complete manual of the Super Stearman from Midwest?, I have the kit but the instructions are missing.
Thanks
Alex
Old 03-31-2019, 11:49 AM
twhite346

Default Instruction manual

Yes, I have it. If you want to send me an address, I can copy it and mail it to you. I could also try to take photos of the pages and email them. How about I try that first.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:53 AM
twhite346

Default Instruction manual

Originally Posted by twhite346
Yes, I have it. If you want to send me an address, I can copy it and mail it to you. I could also try to take photos of the pages and email them. How about I try that first.
Alex, not sure what all you will get. I have sent 2 responses, but it seems only one went thru. I suggested photos and email. However the manual is 50 pages and that would take forever. Send me an address to my email ([email protected]) that way it won't go all over the internet.