Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Old 02-24-2013, 04:36 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Sig is releasing two updated four-stars this summer.

No idea what the pricing is yet though...,

Bill S.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69419.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	1855855  
Old 02-24-2013, 05:16 PM
sensei

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What Sig builder kits are still in production and available to order, is their web site current with what they show?

Bob
Old 02-24-2013, 06:04 PM
Ronjon

Not sure where that Web address came from
http://www.sigplanes.com/
...their real website is:http://www.sigmfg.com/
Old 02-24-2013, 06:34 PM
GaryHarris

ORIGINAL: sensei

What Sig builder kits are still in production and available to order, is their web site current with what they show?

Bob
As far as I know they changed it Bob. When they show a kit, it's available. If unsure, I like Graves RC. I ordered my LT40 on a Friday morning and it shipped that day! And I got it on Wednesday.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:13 PM
crash66

Sig needs to get more into general av kits away from the most common kit in the world(cub). Nothing wrong with their cub, I have one but start producing more Beech kits, other Piper as well as cessna kits. Some of these in arf wouldn't hurt. produce these kits in a 1/5th scale. Otherwise make less boring stuff.

just my .02c worth.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:19 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4* 20 kit was around $120.
Old 02-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Termites Dream
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If anyone from Sig is reading this, the Sig website desperately needs updating, it is the worst in all of RC. Takes forever to find what you need. I recently ordered Dope amongst other things and there was nothing on there about needing to get the dope thinner (I am new to Koverall), so its more shipping charges to get what I need.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:11 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 37 Likes on 37 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ronjon

Not sure where that Web address came from
http://www.sigplanes.com/
...their real website is:http://www.sigmfg.com/
There is a bit of explanation on the Sigplanes site if you read it ....they are just a dealer it would seem.

The regular SIG website has always been rather worthless in my opinion. It is rarely up to date. I suspect they will get their act together with the site one of these days.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:21 PM
GaryHarris

Call them.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:34 PM
dadragon

I really like the Koverall,I local Hobby shop is a sig dealer he was saying something about sig is starting strugle a little so I bought his last 4 big packs of Koverall,I have 4 sig cubs,2 are L-4s and they are pumped up to 120".and you guys are rite about their stone age web site.If people quit scratch building and keep buying arfs sig will fold.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:04 AM
Scrubmonkey

i hope they stick around. i hear nothing but good stuff about the four star. i definately want to build one and see for my self. stick around sig
Old 02-25-2013, 02:00 AM
dmrcflyr2
My Feedback: (43)

Ronjon, read the About Sigplanes tab.

"SIGPlanes.com started as a group of SIG Airplane enthusiasts determined to share the excitement, experience, and story of SIG Airplanes with today’s R/C airplane hobbyists. Contrary to the rumors, SIG Airplanes are still manufactured by SIG Manufacturing in Montezuma, IA, and available to discriminating radio-control pilots and kit builders. Under the direction of a new ownership and management group that is fully committed to the R/C airplane hobby, SIG has reestablished its legendary status in the model aircraft industry. We at SIGPlanes.com have developed a partnership with SIG Manufacturing providing us with direct access to their extensive inventory of ARFs, airplane kits and products. Nowhere will you find better inventory than directly from SIG’s own warehouses available through SIGPlanes.com. Additionally, SIGPlanes.com will be the first place you can buy your new 4-STAR 54 and 4-STAR 64 ARFs!

Our team has extensive experience in the areas of e-commerce, customer service, information technology, video, and social media. We will be working to create the finest online experience for SIG enthusiasts. Beyond our online store, our plans include a resource center and blog intended to make SIGPlanes.com the premier online destination for everything SIG! Fly The Legend!"

They are NOT SIG just enthusiasts.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:41 AM
sensei

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thank you for the replies and updates guys,

Bob
Old 02-25-2013, 05:38 AM
rgburrill

Received 66 Likes on 61 Posts

Champion Stampe, Royal Midi Corsair, Ace Cloud Dancer, Tower Uproar, Great Planes PT40 and Gee Bee Tiger Moth but no Sig.  I never really found a design I liked for the price.  I guess if I hadn't run into a great deal on the Goldberg Tiger 60 (built and basic covering) I might have gone with the 4*60.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:45 AM
dodgers72
My Feedback: (1)

Some planes are just designed for flight first and looks second. The sig sport planes I've flown just have a great feel in the air. Maybe it's time tto give one a try?
Old 02-25-2013, 11:00 AM
beevo

I started a build of the 4 Star 20 and the fit an d finish is wonderful. The kit is a joy to build, the only downside is it goes together so damned quick, I like the building process and find it very soothing.

Beevo (aka Bill VanOrden)
Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You striked an old memory of my Kadet. I had just soloed and went back to the field with my dad and was showing off and hit a tree dead on! I knocked a nice hole in the wing and broke the High Speed Needle valve on my OS 25 FSR. I repaired it flew for another year or two. That was the best flying airplane I ever had!! Thank You Michael J
Old 02-25-2013, 11:30 AM
acdii

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

SIG is a good company. If you have a question on something, just email them!  When the wing snapped off my 4*120 ARF, I contacted them and after a couple emails, I had a replacement kit at my door a few days later.

The kit is great, went together well, and after a couple minor mods that reflected the ARF, its about ready for flight. I have to complete the engine setup, put the canopy on, and dress it up a bit, and it is ready for its maiden. 

They also have Citabria kit that looks like ti will be fun to assemble, especially the cabin area with the wire struts.   
Old 02-25-2013, 03:16 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Sig is a good company.many on this post have shared their building experiences with sig.like so many I have built sig kadets sig kougars piper cubs and a few years back built 1/4scale spacewalker.but having built all them theres nothing left to build.It would be great if they had new kits to build.but rihgt now they don't. I continue to buy aa number of building supplies and sig balsa. I love koverall for large scale projects.its sad that oold standard companieshave had to close or merge.we live in a world where you can buy almost anything off the internet.local hobby shops are far and few.why blame the big 2 whoever that is.I just bought a new 8super g from tower, I seached the internetand thought I would get it cheaper, but I was pleaantly suprised that were the best pricing.and finally I hope the new owners suceed .this is a specialty business and when sig was at its peak the number of competitors were less.life and situations change.not always for the better if sig plans to be around for the long haul they will adapt.and those of us that concerned should bewilling to support them.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:59 PM
barron

I cut my modelflying teeth on Sig aircraft from the old berkley sig controlline kits . The Rc kit I learned to fly rc on was the kommander. I just picked one up at a swapmeet. I wish they would bring backthe morrisy bravo. I always wanted that kit
Old 02-25-2013, 04:59 PM
757jonp
My Feedback: (48)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I certainly have no problem with SIG kits, in fact the first plane I ever had was a Kadet Mark 2 built by myself some 30 years ago or thereabouts, and I still build to this day. But in today's world they'd better off to start pulling them kits off the shelf, build them, and sell their products as ARFs.

When you get right down to it, who in heck is going to buy enough kits to amount to much in today's ARF world???

Old 02-25-2013, 06:16 PM
SIGPlanes

Hello Guys,<o></o>

Yes, we are an exclusive online retailer of SIG airplanes. While SIG Mfg. is working hard to bring exciting new ARF models to market while still supporting the kit builders, we are working to create a dynamic, modern online experience for SIG shoppers. We have all of the SIG ARF models in stock and almost forty of the most popular SIG Kits. We will have the new SIG 4-STAR 54EG and 4-STAR 64EF ARFs the moment they come available this summer. We are very excited about what the future holds for SIG, and we look forward to bringing those products to SIG fans online.<o></o>

<o></o>

We encourage SIG hobbyists to check-out our website, www.SIGPlanes.com, as well as to visit us on Facebook, Twitter & Google+ for the latest news and offers!

Fly The Legend!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:02 AM
GaryHarris

Bookmarked brother.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:43 PM
kman712
My Feedback: (1)

I cut my RC teeth on SIG kits, starting with the original SIG Kadet long before there was a Mark II. I have built many of their kits over the years and loved everyone of them. I just finished a Hog Bipe and as soon as weather permits, I will be flying it every chance I get. I have built and flown many of their kits and always been happy with the results. They did go through a rough period a while back when Hazel sold the company to a larger concern, but the current ownership has restored the quality and reputation that we have known to be SIG. One of the best flying planes they have is the Kavalier. This airplane is easy to fly and so much fun I just can't describe it. I have built two (which I no longer have) and still have a kit on the shelf to build another one. They fly better than a stick and look better too!

I have net the owners at the Toledo show and they know what they are doing, so I don't think the company will fold anytime soon. I am really pleases that there is a new website that sells SIG kits. I have visited the site and it is well done. The link is in a post just a few above this one, check it out. I love Horizon and their quality products, but when looking for a kit to build I always think of SIG first. If you haven't built one of their kits, give one a try, you will love the experience. Their instructions are top of the line.

I know we will see this company around for a long time to come.

Build 'em, fly 'em, have fun but remember to always land with the canopy side up!
Old 04-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Live Wire

ORIGINAL: SIGPlanes

Hello Guys,<o></o>

Yes, we are an exclusive online retailer of SIG airplanes. While SIG Mfg. is working hard to bring exciting new ARF models to market while still supporting the kit builders, we are working to create a dynamic, modern online experience for SIG shoppers. We have all of the SIG ARF models in stock and almost forty of the most popular SIG Kits. We will have the new SIG 4-STAR 54EG and 4-STAR 64EF ARFs the moment they come available this summer. We are very excited about what the future holds for SIG, and we look forward to bringing those products to SIG fans online.<o></o>

<o></o>

We encourage SIG hobbyists to check-out our website, www.SIGPlanes.com, as well as to visit us on Facebook, Twitter & Google+ for the latest news and offers!

Fly The Legend!
Just like to know what is going to happen when the knock offs start hitting the market. Nothing to stop the Chinese form popping out a few just for KICKS at halve the price

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.