Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:44 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

I just called, and it ain't looking good for my Sundancer .50 wheelpants.

BUT - they said the entire Four-Star lineup is going to be mainstreamed and kept up. They also listed off a long list of other models that are FOR SURE going to be kept going, so things are improving there. They're finding new manufacturers for a number of kits where the builders either failed and went out of business, or their work wasn't up to snuff.

That's what I found out. I also suggested that they have somebody drop in to this thread with more information than I can store in my teaspoon-sized brain on a three-minute phone call.

Looks like, for now, that SIG is still in the running. Cool.

~ Jim ~[8D]
Old 07-24-2012, 12:20 PM
teeceeveecee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a build thread Chris, you will love the Kav, that big thick wing really flys great. I had a OS 52 4-stroke in mine and loved it.

Tom
Old 07-24-2012, 12:40 PM
stevegauth30

i ABSOLUTELY LOVE my Sig astro hog .60 and my Hog bipe .60. The astro hog has recently come out of retirement after a few years, and quickly became my favorite again over the other great planes. After all these years and they still fly just as good as the day my father built them. I was raised on SIG planes, Ive flown em all, and would really regret it if they went out of buisnes. Lets keep em flying.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:50 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

The only disappoint I have ever had with a SIG kit was the wood butcher who built it!
Old 07-24-2012, 12:53 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Did he have a name similar to yours?

~ Jim ~
Old 07-24-2012, 12:55 PM
HampdenTech

I just received my first SIG kit, a Four Star 40. I'm planning on building this in the fall with my 7-year-olds help! I bought it mainly because of the high praise I have heard about SIG and their kits.

I hope they're around for my next build.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:58 PM
dasflugmodele

I talked to the owners of Sig at their control line contest last month. Some Kits are available and they have plans for the ARF models also. Been building theiR kits for many years CL and RC, Banshee CL, Magnum CL, Sig Kadet. Kadet sr. LT-40, Smith Miniplane ,Liberty Sport. Somethin Extra ( may the pieces rest in peace) I agree that the big shots have monopolized the manufacturing and distribution and cause the demise of lots of mfg. Miss those Goldberg models and Top flite. .
Progress ???

DASFLUGMODELE
Old 07-24-2012, 01:31 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

HampdenTech,

The SIG Four-Star is a great second plane. A little advanced for a first plane, though I'm old-school and am not factoring in the many flightSims out there today that can advance a newbie.

Building-wise, it's not too advanced. You should be fine. I'm speaking of flying characteristics.

~ Jim ~
Old 07-24-2012, 01:54 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've built many Sig kits through the 45 years I've been involved in model airplanes. But I'm not sure what the OP expects me to do to "save Sig Before the get swallowed..." S'plain it to me Lucy!

I love Sig. I love everything I've built and flown from them through the years. I love their other products. I've got Sig dope, Sig parts, even old Sig balsa here. Shoot, I've got a Sig Banshee in my flyable inventory.

At the current point, with their current kit lineup and my current interests (mostly pattern), they have maybe one kit that I'd be interested in if I didn't have a more capable classic pattern plane in my inventory.

So should I buy their stuff because I want to support them in spite of the fact that I don't need or desire a single one of their kits? In spite of the fact that if I bought a kit from them it would sit forever on a shelf, unbuilt, as I purchased other kits that more closely fit my need. Or should they maybe produce a few more modern kits to tempt me to the point where I actually lust after something they sell like I used to?

Don't get me wrong. Again I love Sig. I've got ton's of Sig products in my home as I type this. But they currently don't have anything that I really feel the need to build.

By the by, I suggest to every newbie that he build a 4 Star. Nothing better that they could select for their second airplane. But that doesn't mean that I want to build one when I've been building since the 60's. Is the fact that I suggest to every new builder that he build a Sig kit enough support for Sig or do I need to buy kits that don't fulfill my needs just because I've enjoyed their products when they matched my skill level?

If they had a more modern pattern plane, or even a more capable classic style pattern plane, I'd have a kit or two in my inventory. If they would offer an occasional more capable aerobatic scale model instead of the same old, I'd love to have one. But as it is, I'm constrained by budgetary considerations to only purchase what I need from them. This means dope and rubber for my free flight creations, castor oil for fuel mixes and the occasional odds and ends.

Dave
Old 07-24-2012, 01:58 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

If you want to see something scary go to the Tower site and check out the Sport Kits. .40 size there are 12 available. There are only 5 .60 size sport kits available. One of then is the Goldberg Chipmunk which one could argue belongs under the scale catagory. The available selections are definetly getting smaller.
If we do not get more people involved in building as part of this hobby there will not be enough demand to support any level of production. I don't like bashing ARF's as for some people it is the right and in some cases only option.

I will be teaching my grandson to build planes and hopefully passing along the passion.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 07-24-2012, 01:59 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

So. . .dbacque . . . that's a NO. . .

'K. . .

~ J ~
Old 07-24-2012, 02:36 PM
WacoNut

BTW:
I do plan on building a Sig Kadet SR with my grandson. By far the best trainer I have flown.
Anthony
Old 07-24-2012, 02:40 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

And the Kadet Senior comes with wings that separate and use wing tubes now, for easy transportation. And I'm not sure, but isn't ailerons an option now? They never had ailerons when I was coming up through the ranks. Still the best, most forgiving trainer around.

~ Jim ~[8D]
Old 07-24-2012, 02:44 PM
WacoNut

As far as I know the kit does not have wing tubes. Maybe the ARF. I don't do ARF's.
I will modify the wings to add the aileron's, makes the plane better IMO.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:51 PM
WacoNut

Just checked, it is the same old kit, 3ch and one piece wing. I will modify it with aileron's and use it train the grandson to fly. It will also double as a night flyer for me with the addition of some LED lights
Anthony
Old 07-24-2012, 02:56 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I wish I had time enough to do kits, but I don't. I couldn't get flying time without ARFs these days. Sad but true.

I can remember building my first Senior. Boy, was I ever excited!

Too bad they don't give the wing tube option with the kit. That would rock. It's a tough wing to transport, at what? 76" ? and the chord! Huge!

~ J ~
Old 07-24-2012, 03:14 PM
dodgers72
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the very first post of this thread it reads "Let's hear from anyone who has ever built or flown a Sig kit and create a buzz about this company before they also become swallowed up like the previously mentioned companys and we're left with one or two of their Great Planes!!! (pun intended) SO LETS HEAR ABOUT YOUR SIG EXPERINCES PLEASE!!! "

I really started this because Sig has been a staple of our hobby for many years and ever since Tower Hobbies dropped the Sig line they haven't had as much exposure. Since that time most of their arfs have been discontinued in an arf predominant market. There are fewer kit builders because of this but as someone already said in this thread, building is a hobby in itself. Some/most arf builders are intimidated by kits. Sig has some quick and easy to build, great flying kits that could easily change their minds.

That's what this thread is about and hopefully help Sig and other Kit manufactures continue their companies and and not be "SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO".

Chris
Old 07-24-2012, 03:36 PM
WacoNut

The wing is big, I have a 12" trailer for my planes so for me it is a non-issue.
My brother had one about 18yrs ago and we used to fly the crap out of it. It would just float in for landings. He lost the plane due to fadio failure one
day. It went straight in from 200ft at full throttle. You could hear all the flying surfaces fluttering just before impact. Quite a site

I built their 1/4 scale C/W Cub and loved it. The build thread is still active here. That is the plane that sent me in the direction of giant scale.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 07-24-2012, 05:29 PM
dodgers72

Hey Tom, I'd love to do a build thread and log the hours spent on building it. An old timer at our field says it takes him about 100 hrs on his scratch built sport scale planes. He's 87 yrs old now and flies 4-5 times a week and is still really sharp.

Anyone ever kept a build log on their Sig kits?

Chris
Old 07-24-2012, 05:49 PM
dodgers72

Called Sig today to verify my order on the Kavalier. It should be on its way soon and while talking to the gail she told me they expected to have some 4 star arfs by the Fall. So it looks like the none kit builders will have ample opportunity to have one in the near future!

Chris
Old 07-24-2012, 06:35 PM
BelAirBob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a Sig 1/5 scale 30 some years ago with a Wankel engine on it. Really neat. I have built several of the Somethin Extras......the laser cutting was superb. I just flew my 4 Start 60 the first time this year and is one nice flying plane. I was at the field Sunday and an old Sig Extra ARF was still flying with a Fox 4.3 engine. To last all these years was an ARF put together really well.

Nothing but good to say about Sig so hope they can continue in this economy. Of course, with all the government regulations, they will need a load of lawyers to make sure they are not breaking some obscure law.....

belairbob
Old 07-24-2012, 07:06 PM
dodgers72

Belairbob great to hear about your 4 star 60. I love the wankel engines, never had the rc version mine is in my 1984 mazda rx-7. I didn't know of an rc wankel for 1/5 scale planes?

Chris
Old 07-24-2012, 07:06 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

The Kavalier evolved from the Kommander. I've built a Kav and have another kit waiting. 

The Somethin Extra makes a great trainer. I've built or instructed students to build 4 of them, and then to fly them. I have 2 at home.

We also built 4 LT 40s.

I'm ready to buy a Kobra for a Saito 30.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:05 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My Second Airplane That I built and flew for over two years was a Kadet about 35 years ago. This was absolutely the best trainer out there to learn how to fly RC. My friend Hobe built several of these over the years and He used to say "You can take off your Kadet and get it into level flight and pull back to 1/2 throttle and the Kadet and put the control on the ground and the Kadet will fly itself around the field! I did see him do this many timeso over the years. I really dont want to see Sig swallowed up by Hobbico because I believe that they will do they same thing to the Sig line as they did to the Andrews Line. They will keep one or two of the kits and throw the rest of the dies and manufacturing tools away. So Lets keep SIG alive!
Michael Johnston
Old 07-24-2012, 09:48 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I remember those Wankels. I guess they never caught on. Collectors items by now, for sure.

~ J ~

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.