Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 AM
avidflyguy
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LETS SAVE SIG BEFORE THEY GET SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO!!!

love the sig kits also, 2 lt 40s (kit and arf), kobra, wonder,somethin extra, king kobra, 2 ultimate fun flys and a fazer and now a 1/4 cw cub on the board now plus an lt 25 in the box yet. gonna get another wonder and kobra kit to build again. i gotta quit selling stuff because i always kick myself in the ass for getting rid of it and end up building another anyway to replace what i sold. i hope they don't get aquired by tower,hobbico or whoever because you know it will be the end of sig, just look at lanier and carl goldberg. my lt 40 i have now has roughly 350 flights on it so far, used as a camera ship and a candy bomber with a large compartment strapped under it, float plane, nearly lost it once due to covering lifting at the seam on the leading edge. the king kobra i miss the most, covered in chrome monokote with black/yellow stripes like you would see on air force f-86 sabre. near impossible to see when sunny out. my depth perception killed it by stuffing it into the top of a tall tree at end of field just before sunset
Old 07-25-2012, 04:37 AM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

Got my first Sig this past march. I got a Sig 4 * 60, and I love it! I ended up putting a t.t. pro 61, and it has plenty of power. Next plane I'm looking to get is maybe a kadet senior. I know I don't want Sig to go away, love the planes and want to build a lot of them.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:55 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the time being, they're not going anywhere. They're under new management, and these guys are already making a lot of big changes in suppliers and other problem areas the business formerly faced. They've had to transition from a Mom-and-Pop business that grew and then faced a whole new, changed market, into a business that competes against a cut-throat world market. There was no way it could happen easily or overnight, and some hard choices and big changes had to be made. Up until now, those choices and changes were not being made aggressively enough. These guys are already on it, and they've identified the popular models and biggest sellers, and those are being given priority.

I was on the phone with them yesterday, and from the discussion we had, it sounds like they have a solid business plan. I don't know what their backing is, or who will be doing their advertising, but they're making the necessary changes at home first, and that's a good start. It's a tough world out there right now, so I wish them the best.

It would be nice if somebody from the New Sig would drop in here and give us some first-hand news.

~ Jim ~[8D]
Old 07-25-2012, 05:00 AM
TestPilot-101
My Feedback: (4)

In 47 years of building and flying I've seen a lot of kit company's come and go.
Out of all of them I've always had at least one Sig kit on my shelf in reserve and
one that's ready to fly. My kit of choice is a SIG Kougar. I built 13 of them and owned
over 20. With a .60 and retracts,loads of fun.

My opion, losing SIG would be a major blow to the r/c kit builder community.
Having Top Flite, Goldberg and others bought out by the mojor kit butchers was bad enough.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:01 AM
KaP2011
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had several Sig kits thru the years and my 4*60 is the plane that goes to the field with me every time I go flying. I've got an LT 40 kit stashed for my grand daughter when she is ready to start building. The coolest plane I've had,(next to my US60), was a Smith Miniplane. I tried to fly that one before I was ready and drove it into a tree at full throttle. That was 15yrs ago. I think it's time I tried again. I've had a Kouger, I didn't really like that kit, the die cutting was awful, looked like it had been stamped out with a butter knife. The Kouger had a date of 2005 on the box. I'm not sure if I should get a new Smith Miniplane or look for an older kit, I really hate messing with a kit that is poorly cut.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:14 AM
PatrickCurry
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: FlyerInOKC

The only disappoint I have ever had with a SIG kit was the wood butcher who built it!
LOL Funny.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:28 AM
HampdenTech

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

HampdenTech,

The SIG Four-Star is a great second plane. A little advanced for a first plane, though I'm old-school and am not factoring in the many flightSims out there today that can advance a newbie.

Building-wise, it's not too advanced. You should be fine. I'm speaking of flying characteristics.

~ Jim ~
Hi Jim,

This is actually my second nitro plane. I've been flying an Alpha 40 for about 3 years now and have flown park flyers for about 6 years. I also built a 35" electric stick from a short kit so I have some building experience. I built a bunch of Guillow models when I was a kid.

The Alpha 40 was an RTF. I also have an Escapade ARF that's almost complete, but I've been advised that the Four Star is a better second plane. Mainly, I just really wanted to build it from the kit.

Thanks!
Bob
Old 07-25-2012, 08:02 AM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I was talking about the Sig Kobra with a fellow modeler and he made the comment that the whole series (Kobra, Kougar, King Kobra) has very nice landing characteristics where the airplane would just stick once on the ground. I noticed that too with my Kobra. I'm not sure what it is about the design but it did land real nice.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:28 AM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut my teeth on Sig kits. I have built the: Hummer, Kougar, Smith Miniplane, Kavalier, Kobra, Seniorita, and Skybolt. I have flown all of those as well as Kadets and Astro Hogs, Hog Bipe, Four Star 60, and Fun Fly Ultimate. My favorite is the Skybolt. but I have never flown a bad flying Sig kit.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:43 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I learned how to build and fly with SIG. Built many kits and have several under the bench. Those kits will turn anyone into a top notch builder and prep you for scratch building. I had a 15 year love affair with my Astro Hog until I shredded it in some power lines. It's replacement is waiting to be built. The Kougar flies fantastic and lands about as slow as an LT 40. Kadet Senior has got to be the easest plane ever to fly.

The plans and instructions in the kits are wonderful. Granted, there is some building to be done but as far as I'm concerned, ARFs are about as exciting as kissing your sister. Go to a scale contest and ask the pilots what they cut their teeth on. I bet over 90% of them have built several SIG kits.

Carl
Old 07-25-2012, 11:44 AM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

So. . .dbacque . . . that's a NO. . .

'K. . .

~ J ~
It's not a "no". It's a question asking what we're supposed to do to "Save Sig". I'd love to wave a magic wand and see Sig last forever. I pointed out that I still buy Sig products. Unfortunately they don't have any kits that I'd care to build and fly. Are you suggesting that I should buy one or more kits anyway? Or are you saying that my suggesting a 4* to every newbie and intermediate pilot at our field doesn't constitute support for Sig?

Dave
Old 07-25-2012, 11:56 AM
Live Wire

The thing is SIG does not only have kits and Barf's They have a line of products that will keep you in the hobby, and supply your building and flying needs Glen made me do it LOL
Old 07-25-2012, 12:09 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

I'm saying, "So. . . that's a NO. . . "

Nothing more, nothing less. No implications, just a summary of the post as I saw it. Nothing judgmental, and no implications.

~ J ~
Old 07-25-2012, 12:12 PM
dbacque

ORIGINAL: dodgers72

In the very first post of this thread it reads ''Let's hear from anyone who has ever built or flown a Sig kit and create a buzz about this company before they also become swallowed up like the previously mentioned companys and we're left with one or two of their Great Planes!!! (pun intended) SO LETS HEAR ABOUT YOUR SIG EXPERINCES PLEASE!!! ''

I really started this because Sig has been a staple of our hobby for many years and ever since Tower Hobbies dropped the Sig line they haven't had as much exposure. Since that time most of their arfs have been discontinued in an arf predominant market. There are fewer kit builders because of this but as someone already said in this thread, building is a hobby in itself. Some/most arf builders are intimidated by kits. Sig has some quick and easy to build, great flying kits that could easily change their minds.

That's what this thread is about and hopefully help Sig and other Kit manufactures continue their companies and and not be ''SWALLOWED BY THE BIG TWO''.

Chris
Fair enough.

As for me, I built a pile of Sig control line stuff back in the 60's and 70's. I've built many of their rubber free flight kits, including the Sig Mister Mulligan, undoubtedly the nicest stick and tissue kit I've ever built. I've built Sig Cubs, Thermal Darts, AMA Cubs, countless Pigeon HLGs and the Sig Mini-Maxer which I have flown in several different configurations. I built a Sig Kougar which was the perfect plane for me at the time. I've built numerous other Sig products, some with names I don't even recall, and I've never been disappointed with a Sig kit. Every time there is a choice of products, if one of them is Sig, I purchase Sig. There's something about buying products from a company that was around 45 years ago that gave you a good value for the nickles and dimes that you'd saved for months as a kid. I also recommend their kits at the field all the time, especially the 4* line.

I have Sig control lines, Sig rubber, Sig rubber winder, Sig wheels. My planes have Sig landing gear parts, Sig tailwheels, Sig wheel collars. I've used Sig cockpit combing, Sig spinners, Sig rubber bands and Sig wing saddle tape. I have burned untold amounts of Sig 1/2A fuel. I frequently add Sig castor oil to my fuel and use it as a lubricant when I rebuild engines. What have I left out? Probably more than I've mentioned. I've bought Sig since the 60's, still do and recommend them frequently.

All that said, I do wish they would add one or two more advanced, modern aerobatic kits. I'd be all over them.

Dave
Old 07-25-2012, 12:19 PM
dbacque

I'm saying, ''So. . . that's a NO. . . ''

Nothing more, nothing less. No implications, just a summary of the post as I saw it. Nothing judgmental, and no implications.

~ J ~
Nope, you read it wrong. It's not a NO that I support Sig. See my previous post. If you think that my not buying a kit that I can't use is a NO, then, you are close, it's a HECK NO!

Dave
Old 07-25-2012, 02:31 PM
blw

This is a great thread. I hope it doesn't get spoiled with childish arguing.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:16 PM
dbacque

Let's get something straight. I'm not arguing, I love Sig and hope to see them alive forever. I support Sig. I support folks wanting to keep them solvent and independent. I REALLY don't want to see them taken over by the industry giants who keep reducing our options. I'm just not sure what people on this thread expect from me as a Sig fan and customer. I said that I have lots of Sig products in my shop, I've built lots of Sig kits, I have Sig airplanes in my inventory and I recommend Sig kits and products to others. But this is taken as a "NO", that I don't support Sig. Enh? What do I have to do to support them? I repeat, "S'plain it to me Lucy!" (For those too young to understand the reference, it means "I don't understand and I want an explanation.")

Seems to me that in a capitalistic system (and I consider that to be a good thing), money speaks louder than words. So please explain to me what is wrong with my comments that I have bought dozens of their kits and loved them. I have bought, used, own and still buy their products. My shop is filled with items with the Sig logo on them. I frequently recommed their products to others. Unfortunately at this point in time I don't care to purchase any of their currently offered kits because they are not suited to my needs. This doesn't mean that I don't care about Sig. Just that their current line of kits don't fit my current flying style. But I still use their products in the airplanes that I do build.

I'll shut up now. Go on with whatever the point of this thread is if it's not a lifetime of buying, supporting and recommending Sig products. I won't spoil it again with the facts that I love their products and that I've purchased many thousands of dollars of kits and supplies from them. I look forward to see what the new definition of supporting a company is.

Dave
Old 07-25-2012, 03:18 PM
carddfann

I love Sig. Some of the best planes I ever had were Sig. I was in the hobby as a teen from about 1978 to 1988 then got out from lack of time. Now, I've been back in for about 3.5 years. One of my first planes was a Sig Kadet with the aileron option. Later, I had a Kavalier (what a smooooooth plane) and a Kougar. When I got out, I sold everything. Since getting back in, I've bought several Sig kits to build and some are vintage. Those are Kougar, Kadet (original from 70's), Piper Cub, Liberty Sport, Aerobipe, and 4-Star 40. Sweet, fun to build and fly planes. People with only arfs don't know what they're missing. Oh well, each to their own.
To address the earlier post about kit prices, yes, they are going up due to simple supply and demand (unlike gas and oil prices [:@]).
With short runs and set up charges, kit makers have to raise prices because not nearly enough build anymore. [&o]What shame, but then again I'm old school and getting old.

Speaking of kit prices, finishing supplies have shot up too for the same reason. Look at cost of covering materials, wheels, hinges, and everything else it takes to finish a plane.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:28 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I know what you mean, I just ordred a $99 kit and all the accessories to finish the kit the total came to $211. Glad I had an engine on hand.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:48 PM
wartnose

ORIGINAL: blw

This is a great thread. I hope it doesn't get spoiled with childish arguing.
Agree. No childish arguing. This is all about SIG. My favorite 4*40. Go Tigers....That would be CLEMSON Tigers
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54870.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	1785979  
Old 07-25-2012, 06:52 PM
cordell staker

I posted pix of my 4 star 120 Sunday flyer on page 3. Have read all the posts. So, this...I would love to have a hobby store today like I frequented back in 1960. As I delivered newspapers after school, I mindlessly dreamed of the rows and shelves of kit boxes. RC days came for me in 1970, I was buyin' and buildin' as fast as my poor college budget could handle. I was good for at least 6 crashes and new planes a year. Thats when I got introduced to a sweet stick. Well that pattern of crashing 6 a year went on for years....Until I got my first real flight system. Suddenly I wasn't crashing anymore. Just filling the attic and garage with planes. Dozens. One day I sat down and figured that at my current crash rate ( in about 1996) I had enough for a lifetime. I quit buying kits. Saved a few bridi, Sig, and four Aeromasters for later. I am 63 now, and still have too many planes. 1 dirty birdy 60, 5 sig planes, sundancer, sometin' extra, 4 star 1.20, 60 kadet, and the Aeromasters. Those are my comfort food planes, that make me feel so good. But what I fly most are the Quick Build ARF's, from Japan and China ....and my upgraded Real Flight on the computer. I'd rather fly than build anymore. Sig is/was the best....but those days are gone. I don't think sig can catch up via the new generation of pilots I don't see flocking to the hobby stores to buy a kit.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:57 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I have 5 planes, out of those 5 two are SIG planes.  A Kadet LT40 and 4*120 ARF.  My favorite plane is the Kadet, the 4* only has 3 flights and I am still nervous flying it, but I toss the Kadet all over the sky and just love that plane!  It went together quickly and built a very nice looking plane. I did some mods to it, made it a tail dragger, bolt down wing and dropped dihedral down to 1 inch.

It will hold its bank and not return to level flight like a trainer, is a little more nimble, and is a blast to fly.  I picked up the 4*120 ARF a few weeks ago for $275, spent a week putting it together, and once I got it in the air, trimmed out with 2 clicks right aileron.  My only gripe with it is it bounces too much on landing, and I didn't bring it down hard either.  In the air, its a really good flyer, and probably be my go to once I get past the nerves   I tore up the sky with it for 10 minutes and still had 3/4 tank of gas.

So my favorite planes are both SIG planes.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 PM
blw

Wartnose, nice looking 4* with mod canopy and built up nose, and, and....Auburn colors!

Dave, sure sounds like you have supported Sig a lot. Any spare kits lying around?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:32 PM
wallace.tharp

Texskypilot, did you ask or did Sig tell you where they would have their kits manufactured? I suppose it would have to be mostly China. May be some other place like Thailand could do it. My friend Jef Hopper in Prescot Valley, AZ owned Advanced Lazer Cutting, or Concepts, I can't remember which. He had more work than he could do in about 1999. Mostly custom kits from plans but people like Sig and Lanier were calling all the time and asking how much for this kit and that. His labor was mostly women who worked fast and were really good with their hands. Pay was as I remember it, just above minimum wage. And there is the problem. What is it now, about $9 and hour. Er go, how do you/we compete with the PRC??? Just thinkin. PS, love the Monocoupe. I flew the full scale with my dad many years ago and I built & flew the Icon N'West quarter scale a few years back. US engines 41. My helper and advisor was Mr. Steve Crow of Chino Valley, AZ, a WWII spitfire pilot with 3 or 4 kills. What a guy, mosest and just a real pilot and RC modeler. It was the most difficult and time consuming model I ever built!!!!Wallace Tharp
Old 07-25-2012, 08:45 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Very interesting thread. Some of the believed info that lies in the industry is very erroneous to say the least. I would think it would be quite clear. I built many Sig kits in my early days but left them as the selection has not changed in over 20 years, and in some cases almost 40 years. Their models fly great, period. Always have and always will. One thing I question is below.

The title of this thread. When has Horizon ever bought up any model kit manufacturer? We never have just to clarify and have no intentions to do so. We do our own development on aircraft design. Hobbico has bought up many over the years, maybe some insight would have delivered a more accurate thread title.

Sig has delivered great designs over the years. We have all agreed on this. But as brought up in this thread, when have they recently brought out a truly new design to meet the ever changing model industry? They haven't that I am aware of. For the most part hobby shops don't stock kits anymore. Reason is they don't sell. You have to pay the bills. Modelers today want it quick, fast, and easy. Only us old guys want to cut and glue things together. Our society has proven it is all about instant gratification!

I ordered up a Kadet LT-40 for my son to build when he started flying 3 years ago. He framed it by himself and enjoyed it. As soon as he had to sand it the progress stopped. The short story is I threw that model away as it never was completed. I believe you will find this to be the same story for any new young guy looking to enjoy this hobby. My son looked at me and said why am I doing this when I can get it already done?

Those are the cold facts that we see every day in this industry. There is no money in the kit business and the cost to produce is nearly the same as producing an ARF model. I know you may find that hard to believe, but I can assure you it is. Kits are a thing of the past unfortunately like Detroit muscle cars, barrel back boats, and slot machines that pay out in actual money not paper receipts. Times have changed.

I have a few Sig kits that are still new that I would happily sell off if anyone is interested. A sad day but I can turn the cash into some new servos or even fuel for my sons jet to fly at an event.

I was raised on the Maxey Hester/Hazel Sig program and it was one of the best with Joe Bridi and Carl Goldberg. They belong in the hall of fame just like Babe Ruth and Jackie Robinson. Great memories live inside me and for those still able to fly one of the great designs, enjoy as you are enjoying what built the hobby today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.