Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Top-Flite Contender

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Top-Flite Contender

Old 08-08-2012, 05:08 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: Top-Flite Contender

Thanks Robert,
I think I am going to have alot of fun with this one.
Anthony
Old 08-11-2012, 07:54 AM
WacoNut

I completed the radio installation this morning and all the throws are set. The plane balanced with no additional weight added. The battery is located in the open space in the turtle deck just behind the pilot. The winds are gusting today and would be a direct cross wind at the field so I will wait until tomorrow for the maiden. The weather is supposed to be better with winds of 5mph. I will get some good pics of the maiden and video if a camera is available.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 08-11-2012, 09:05 AM
WacoNut

For those who have this plane, did you mix any elevator in with the flap?
I was going to go ahead and mix in some elevator if this plane tends to need it.
Thanks!!
Anthony
Old 08-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes. Mine balloons and I add down elevator mixed to the gear switch that I use for the flap. BE VERY CAREFUL when doing this and add only small amounts at a time AFTER you have reduced speed and deployed flaps in an initial test way above the runway. Note that you want to be moving slow when deploying the flap. Iwould not recommend adding it before first flight testing the model and seeing how much it needs. C.G. point chosen lilkely effects it.

Ihad a different model - a low wing Stik with split spolierons/flaperons- and hit the CROW switch by accidentinsteadof low ratesat speed and, by the time I recoved, I prevented a 90°nose-in but still ruined the teeth in four under-wing servos and the gear holed the wing and tore out the horizontal stab on one side as it hit the ground and crashed back into the tail. Some models climb with flaps, some nose down. Idon't know what the Contender might do if you hit the flap at high speed. Might nose up, might nose down. And if you already have down mixed in . . .
Old 08-12-2012, 11:54 AM
WacoNut

Thanks for the tips Charlie,

I took the Contender up for the 1st flight with no mix. Actually the 1st 2 flights. The engine died on the maiden and I had to dead stick it in with no issues. I didn't even have time to trim it out. After a slight carb adjustment the 2nd flight went much better. The plane required 3 clicks of down trim and 3 clicks of right aileron. I discovered after landing the right aileron was slightly off center and after correcting this at the linkage the trim was taken out.

The plane tracked very well and was very stable. Most of the flying was done at half throttle or less. The flap worked great and was fun to play around with. It does want to balloon when the flap is lowered. I had to hold in a bit of down elevator to keep the plane from climbing. I did program in a bit of down elevator for the next flight and it worked very well. I could lower the flap on final and the plane did not baloon. The winds were stronger than forecasted today. I had a 9mph crosswind but the plane handled it well. This one will be going to the field alot.

With the flap lowered you can fly around at trainer like speeds and just enjoy a relaxing flight or raise the flap and add throttle and have fun.
My wife took some pics of the plane in the air.
Anthony
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79806.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1791230   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44221.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1791231   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18677.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	1791232   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91662.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	1791233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx24016.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	1791234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ar10644.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	1791235  
Old 08-12-2012, 12:04 PM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well done Anthony. Nice photo's.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:47 PM
WacoNut

Thanks Robert,
I am going to put alot of flying time on this one for sure. This is the only plane I have that I don't need to haul in my trailer.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 08-12-2012, 02:04 PM
acerc

I kind of know the feeling. I don't have that large of plane's. But with an open truck bed it was kind of a pain. So I bought a topper then added a pull out shelf. Now I can take two with ease. And I don't worry about them flying out. Hee Hee.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:06 PM
acerc

Almost forgot. I once sat in a carwash for an hour and a half waiting on rain to pass.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Smashmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry it took me so long to get back,Oldscaleguy.
But NO,the recipe only works with Monocote. The glue is different on Ultracoat.
But what you can do is cover with your basic color with Ultracoat (Ultracoat shrinks better for me).
Get it tight,the trim it with Monocoat. It will stick to Ultracoat just fine. Just squeegie out the solvent with a credit card or something,and next morning it's good.

Glad The maiden went well Anthony. It's a pretty airplane
Fred
Old 08-12-2012, 05:10 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Anthony,
You have made the Contender look good......I would not be surprised if Top Flight sales a few more because of your plane and thread. I can tell you if my plate (build queue) were empty, I'd consider buying one after seeing yours. It looks as good in the air (better) than on the ground.[8D]

With a .61 two stroke and a pipe that thing would get on down the road.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:04 PM
dodgers72
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anthony, congrats on the maiden and thanks for the pics it definitely makes me want to build another one. It's been an inspiration to see such a quick build, maybe one day I too can put one together as fast (not likely) .

Happy flying ~Chris
Old 08-12-2012, 06:39 PM
WacoNut

Thanks Guys,

The plane really fly's well with the .61 4-stroke. I would say it would be a rocket with a strong .61 2-stroke. At full throttle it was really moving along.

The plane really framed up fast. The covering job slowed me down a bit, took a little time to get used to working with monokote again. The covering scheme really shows up well in the air and drew alot of comments at the field.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 08-12-2012, 07:10 PM
WacoNut

I just found out one of the guys at the club was filming today while I was flying the Contender and he posted a video. There isn't really anything exciting as it was my 2nd flight and I was just feeling it out. Gives you a good look at how stable the plane is and how it looks in the air.
Here is a link to the video [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFzZskaY6To&feature=youtu.be]Contender Flight[/link] There is some really good flying later in the video by a couple of the guys in the club.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 08-13-2012, 03:48 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Great job Anthony, the Contender looks good in the air. You will enjoy this one for a long time to come.
Thank you Smashmaster, i was kind of afraid that would be the case.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Sandyt

I just found your build thread - nice job (and quick!). Here are some pics of my Contender, RIP. I also enlarged the rudder, which probably made it more effective, but it had a bad dive when a lot of rudder was used. I guess that's what computer radios are for.

I found that I hardly ever used the flap, and still the plane would land at a crawl. I wore out (after over 300 flights!) the original OS 46 SF and replaced it with an OS 55 AX, which was an excellent power plant: lots of power and smooth transitions. I would be flying that plane yet, but during a high-speed dive in front of a tree line, I learned that my depth perception is not as good as I thought.

Enjoy it!

Sandy T
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58369.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1791588   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12094.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	1791589  
Old 08-13-2012, 01:32 PM
WacoNut

Nice looking Contender Sandy,
Guess you need to build a new one
Anthony
Old 08-14-2012, 05:12 PM
stefanP
My Feedback: (2)

The ailerons look small and a strange design.How effective are they in flight?? Anthony, nice quick build!!
stefanP
Old 08-14-2012, 05:26 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Work fine. The wings are relatively narrow.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:08 AM
WacoNut

Stefan,
The aileron's are very effective. I set the throws up to the recommended rates. I took off on low rates for the 1st flight and the elevator did not have much authority at all on low rates. I switched to high rates and the elevator felt much batter but the ailerons were too sensitive for comfortable flying. I wound up increasing the throw on the elevator on low rates after the 1st flight. Due to the winds we were have I didn't get too crazy with the plane on the 1st few flights. I just did a couple of loops and mostly just flew the pattern and tested the flap at different power settings. We have soybean and corn fields surrounding our club field and during the heat of the day we get some crazy thermals and down drafts that like to keep you on your toes. I hit one down draft while in a sharp turn that caused the plane to drop 20ft in about 2 seconds.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 08-18-2012, 11:09 AM
WacoNut

8 more flights on my Contender today. I love the way it fly's.

I do not have any opposite roll with rudder on my plane. The inverted flight is stable with little down elevator needed. The rolls are nice as well. I will be heading back to the field tomorrow morning to get some more flights in.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 08-19-2012, 01:10 PM
WacoNut

5 more Flights today,
The plane is really fun to fly and I am having fun just shooting landings. I don't think I will change out the nose gear as I am able to set the plane down very gently on the gear. The plane gets alot of attention at the field and everyone comments on how well it fly's and that it looks really stable.
I would have to say this is the best small sport model I have built I would highly recommend this one as a 2nd plane.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 08-28-2012, 02:46 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

First rate Anthony, I think you are really going to enjoy flying this plane.
Old 08-28-2012, 02:53 PM
WacoNut

Thanks VJ,
The Contender is a blast to fly. I am now up to 28 flights on it already. This one will always be going to the field with me.

I finally got around to putting a pilot in my 1/3 Cub, used the one out of my crashed 1/3 Waco[]

I also just finished the assembly of a foam ARF for my grandson, I am sure it is not long for this world. His other grandpa bought him a GeeBee ARF Looks like I will be flying this one for him as he is only 4yrs old. I plan on building him a Sig Kadet trainer this winter and starting his flight training next spring after alot of R/C simulator time.
Later!!
Anthony
Old 10-21-2012, 04:30 PM
WacoNut

Flew the Contender today, the plane is really fun to fly. I now have over 60 flights on the plane. I am getting a bit braver with the plane and shooting high speed touch-n-go's and low level inverted flight.
I sent the plans to a buddy and he is going to scale the Contender up for a 30cc gas engine and cut a couple of kits. I just happen to have a DLE-30 looking for a home. If he can get the kits cut this winter I will definetly put it on the build table as soon as I get it.

Later!!
Anthony

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.