Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Tiger Club

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Tiger Club

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 04:42 PM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Tiger Club

JKR

Iam already #25

ED
Old 09-05-2012, 05:50 PM
kconn3
My Feedback: (14)

I just bought a used Tiger 60. The canopy was missing. $29.99 + 10.00 in shipping. Ipaid $50.00 for the plane, engine, servos,and a AMradio with receiver. Iam not willing to pay $40.00 for a canopy.I would love to be able to make one out of a coke bottle. Has anyone made a mold to try that?

This Tiger has some damage that I can fix. I thought about using scrap balsa to make a canopy mold and then heat up a coke bottle and stretch it around the mold until it cools. I watched a YouTube video of that process. I just hate taking the time to try if it will not work. Any suggestions?
Old 09-05-2012, 07:57 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

I have a 20-year old kit built Tiger 2:

It's since been recovered after this photo was taken.

I also have a Protege .60 ARF, which is essentially the high wing version of the Tiger, and a Tiger 2 ARF. After flying these planes, you can't question the fact that Carl Goldberg was a genius!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:18 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

nh4cl04- I had bought a used Tiger 60 from a member from my club, it flew great, but I too thought that it needed more rudder and elevator. Well as fate would have it several months later I had a radio failure (nice way to say Icrashed) and I decided to build my own "improved Tiger". I added about an additional 1/2 on the elevator and two inches to the rudder. I also boxed in the bottom half of the engine. The other improvement that I did was to add a second dowel to the front of the wing, I felt that only one alignment dowel wasn't sufficient for the loads placed on that wing.My Tiger flew great ! It could almost sustain a knife edge-almost . I wished that I had used a pull-pull system on the rudderinstead of the 4-40 rod that I used. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2012, 04:45 AM
jkr_1100
My Feedback: (15)

kconn3 #32

I would try a 2X4 cut with a bandsaw. try it really quick. if it looks like it will work. make a better mould and start over.

I think you will have to spend some time to do it this way. but once you get the hang of it you will be able to use this process many times over.
I think the time spent learning would be worth it.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:49 AM
jkr_1100

bigedmustafa #33
Looks great. I hope you get another 20 years out of it. What engine are you running?
Old 09-06-2012, 06:54 AM
kconn3

Does someone have the the set of plans to scale for for the canopy area? Even if it's just that portion copied. I like the 2 x 4 idea. I could cut it out and try the mold. If the coke bottle does not work, I can by plastic sheets they use in a vacuum mold. I do have a vacuum pump and could fab something. I'll have to check out YouTube again.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:22 AM
AJsToyz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could trace you the Canopy area off my prints if you would like?
Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 AM
kconn3

AJsToyz

I sent you a PM. It would be great if you traced it. I'll just extend the lines so I can cut off what I don't need. I watched the You Tube video and I think I can make a vacuum form with scrap I have at home. It's worth a try. I may spend just as much as buying a new one, but it will be worth it.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:42 AM
jkr_1100

Any chance of a pic when the form is done? then a pic of the canopy?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:08 PM
treehanger

Seems a little quiet here so I'll add that I have both a Tiger 2 and a Tiger 60 kit. I love the looks of these planes. I want to start the Tiger 2 kit soon and have an Enya 46 FS to put in it (low time engine). I'm not looking to tear up the sky but at the same time, I hope the Enya will be able to handle it. This will be my first low wing plane after two trainers. Any thoughts on the power plant?
Bob
Old 09-06-2012, 01:19 PM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

The Enya 46 will fly it. It won't be very fast, but if this is your first low wing plane, you don't need it to be fast. BUT, after you get comfortable with the Tiger (which won't take long), you'll be itching to turn it up!!
Old 09-06-2012, 05:10 PM
camsbad

I am almost done with the Tiger 60 I purchased in March.I must say, it is not one of the easiest kits I have ever assembled. I also have a Tiger 2 that my son and I shall be building this winter for him to fly.

Here's a picture of whatI have so far ...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17799.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	1798971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql34537.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1798972  
Old 09-06-2012, 06:26 PM
jkr_1100

Treehanger #34
Camsbad #35

Video taxiing. Tonight

http://youtu.be/IvqlkJlseFw
Old 09-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

My brother and I finished the calculations on our new Tiger 3. (The name Tiger 3 because we will power them with 30cc gas engines.)Each of the Goldberg Tigers were scaled up by a factor of 1.15. Hence, the 60 inch Tiger 2 becomes the 71 inch Tiger 60, and then that evolves into the 80 inch Tiger 120. Now our new endeveaor, following the same pattern as the Goldberg designers, comes the 92 inch Tiger 3!! After finally settling on the dimensions and the factors for enlarging the plans, we're ready to go to the plans shop and begin the design process. We still need to settle on some issues such as wood dimensions, he likes to build light, I like to build robust; one piece or 2 piece wing - I want the convenience of a 2-piece, he wants the simplicity of a one piece. We discussed retracts, but decided that wasn't really in the spirit of the Tiger 2. Then, tail dragger or tri-cycle gear. I really like the looks of the Tiger 120 with the wheel pants and the tail dragger configuration, but again, it kind of misses the spirit of the original. We may have to build one of each. But regardless, of these details, there will be 2 of them and they will be as true to the Tiger 2 as we can make them. Once we start the building process, we'll post some pictures. I hope some of you have an interest in this. I'm fired up.

(No, the plans will not be for sale, we're copying Goldberg's design and that would be a copyright infringement. The only way we could share our plans would be if we got permission from Goldberg. If anyone wants to build one we will share our calculations and building notes.) RR
Old 09-06-2012, 07:19 PM
jkr_1100

you guys are going to have a sweet machine. I assume you have seen the youtube video of the "giant tiger" that was flown in the corn field?

perhaps just take a digital picture of the plans and then shine them on the wall with a projector.

move projector until plans reach desired size.

next tape paper to the wall and trace the lines from the image with ruler in hand.

The Tiger 2X2 - Thank you!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kygXMhFOOl8
Old 09-06-2012, 09:01 PM
thebluemax
My Feedback: (151)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here are pictures ofmy JR Sky Tiger that I built in 1986. It was re-covered in 2010 and isstill flying to this day. I have an Enya 40TV in the nose and although this is a 40 size engine it is not that powerful.Flies it verynicely. When I built itI made the stab, fin, rudder, and elevator from 1/4 inch balsa instead of the sticks calledfor in the plans. At the time when I built it I thought theyneeded to be a little more solid on count of the Enya 40 and tohelp offset the extra nose weight.

I also have another one that is inthe box untouched and there are pictures of that here too.I maybe putting it up for sale asI don't think I will be building it any time soon. With other projects in the way and one already flying who knows when.

The one in the picturescurrently flying is now on display at the Philadelphia Airport until February of next year. The airport contacted our club looking for planes to display in the terminal. We were able to put up about a dozen different planes and my JR Tiger is one of them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18233.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	1799008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54768.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	1799009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42768.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	1799010   Click image for larger version

Name:	By76445.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	1799011  
Old 09-07-2012, 04:15 AM
jkr_1100

Thebluemax #36

I would love to see that Jr sky tiger build with a Saito 56 on it. Thank you for this display. I will look for it next time I fly through philly
Old 09-07-2012, 09:44 AM
bikerbc

Camsbad what did you have trouble with? I found the Tiger kits went together fairly easy....Maybe a few little hicups....When we have trouble with a build and work our way through it we can often help others with their builds... Have you flowen your 60 yet? I bet you will fall in love with how it flys....Many yrs. ago I helped my son build his first plane ( a Goldberg Junior Tiger ) we still talk about that plane and that build...Good luck..What a wonderfull opportunity you have to introduce your son to this world of building and flying R.C. planes. When we teach sombody somthing we give them a gift that no one can take away and it can last a lifetime...
Old 09-07-2012, 10:26 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My kind of club, please sign me up. Over the years I have had the Sky Tiger (fuel rotted fuse and wing still in my rafters), Sky Tiger Jr (want to get plans to build another since I sold this little bugger a number of years ago and regret it), Tiger 2, and now have a brand new Sky Tiger kit in the box in my stash.

I always liked the looks of the Tiger, even though I can swear its a low winged Eagle on steroids. Best kind of plane to test engines on since it can fly on anything from a .35 to a .91 on the 40 size alone. The 60 is even more robust for testing power plants and practicing many types of flying.

Scott
Old 09-07-2012, 11:52 AM
scottrc

ORIGINAL: nh4clo4

I will be starting on a Tiger 60 this fall, What modifications have others done?

On my 40 size Tiger 2 , I clipped the wing, and removed some dihedral, and it flew like a pattern plane. It needed more rudder and elevator to my liking, so the 60 will get a modified tail.

Attached is a picture of my Tiger 2, I had a bad hangar accident, I might try to get it back in the air too.

I took the dihedral out of both my Sky Tiger and the Tiger Jr. The plane had much better roll rate and authority tracking through loops. Would also flat spin.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 AM
scottrc

ORIGINAL: thebluemax

Here are pictures of my JR Sky Tiger that I built in 1986. It was re-covered in 2010 and is still flying to this day. I have an Enya 40TV in the nose and although this is a 40 size engine it is not that powerful. Flies it very nicely. When I built it I made the stab, fin, rudder, and elevator from 1/4 inch balsa instead of the sticks called for in the plans. At the time when I built it I thought they needed to be a little more solid on count of the Enya 40 and to help offset the extra nose weight.

I also have another one that is in the box untouched and there are pictures of that here too. I maybe putting it up for sale as I don't think I will be building it any time soon. With other projects in the way and one already flying who knows when.

The one in the pictures currently flying is now on display at the Philadelphia Airport until February of next year. The airport contacted our club looking for planes to display in the terminal. We were able to put up about a dozen different planes and my JR Tiger is one of them.

Great looking Jr.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:28 PM
jkr_1100

scottrc #37

I truely get the most joy from my Tiger 60.

I suppose 2nd place goes to the Goldberg Cub

i like my P51 but the pucker factor is nerve racking.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:14 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

JKR and Crazy4flight..

Will do.. I am finishing putting in my RX and battery packs, etc. should be able to have some pics soon..

As far as the engine is concerned, I know that I have seen the brand before, I just, for the life of me, cannot remember what the brand is.. It has a Big K over a set of vertical wings that are swept back, was thinking either a Kavan (Did they make engines too?) or a Kraft engine.. Other Ideas?

Craig.

UPDATE: It is indeed a Kraft engine, Found a picture on the Net of an Identical engine.. I am not sure of the size, guessing that it's about a .60, running a tuned pipe!

Old 09-08-2012, 02:28 AM
camsbad

ORIGINAL: bikerbc

Camsbad what did you have trouble with? I found the Tiger kits went together fairly easy....Maybe a few little hicups....When we have trouble with a build and work our way through it we can often help others with their builds... Have you flowen your 60 yet? I bet you will fall in love with how it flys....Many yrs. ago I helped my son build his first plane ( a Goldberg Junior Tiger ) we still talk about that plane and that build...Good luck..What a wonderfull opportunity you have to introduce your son to this world of building and flying R.C. planes. When we teach sombody somthing we give them a gift that no one can take away and it can last a lifetime...
Biker,
I had alot of trouble getting the fuse to come out straight. I don't have a fuse jig, only the plans and a flat building board, and played hell getting a nice, straight fuselage. I plan on flying my 60 Tiger this Sunday. I did follow the recommendations of some RCU members and made the rudder and elevator larger. I can't wait to fly it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.