Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

aileron horn placement

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

aileron horn placement

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:33 PM
rye
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aileron horn placement

hi
i am building a plane that has a sweep or taper wing and would like to know where i place the horns most of the planes are sq winds so i just line up the horn with the servo in the wing and do i off set the horn and the servo so that the arm is in line with the hinge line ,thank rye
Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 PM
ByLoudDesign

Default RE: aileron horn placement

Rye, you want the control horn, linkage and the servo to be perpendicular to the hinge line if possible. This gives you maximum energy transfer an less likelihood of any binding!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:40 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in agreement about the linkages being perpendicular to the hinge line. As an example, I have a very nice Sig Rascal 40 ARF that had the aileron linkages perpendicular with the straight leading edge instead of the tapered trailing edge. These servos were hidden inside the wing, mounted to some hatch covers, by the way. Only the servo arm was projecting below the wing.

I took some scrap plywood wood and made some new hatch covers with the servos mounted perpendicular to the hinge line. I only had to angle it a few degrees but it made a big difference. It took a little bit of finageling, but it was a quick job and I enjoyed doing it.

If you decide to go this way, you'll be glad that you did.

I hope that I described it clearly enough.

Bob
Old 09-04-2012, 04:37 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others have pointed out ...

Purple being a 90 degree angle that represents the control rod connection to the servo arm. Of course, the servo arm needs to be centered parallel to the aileron hinge line (or 90 degrees to the control rod connection) rather than the typical "90 degrees with respect to the servo case".

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94362.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	1798532  
Old 09-04-2012, 04:41 PM
ByLoudDesign

Bob, I see the Orion, she is done!! Waiting to hear from the cutters, laser and wet jet, to come up with a basic kit price. The LG is priced and we will be supporting it with nacelles in about two months.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:02 PM
rye

hi
ok if i am seeing this right the servo in mounted in line with the rib and the horn perpendicular to the hinge line and the rod is on the angle from the horn to the servo arm?
Old 09-05-2012, 04:09 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rye - your vision is 20/20. This is a plan from a Great Planes Extra 300S and the laser cut servo mount includes notches cut into the ribs. N1EDM's suggestion would mean that you adjust the servo so that it too is "in line" with the control rod and its long axis is perpendicular to the hinge line.

Some builders like to lay the servo over on its side and recessed below the surface of the wing. Couple of things - one, this works well with thinner wings. Also, the only bit exposed is the servo arm - typically thru a slot cut into a servo hatch. I'll see if I have a pic or two to demonstrate this.

Pic 1 - hatches with servo arm slots. The servo is mounted to the hatch and the hatch is attached to rails glued to the inside of the ribs.
Pic 2 - same hatch but with the servo fully exposed. You could use this approach and simply rotate the servo "hole"to align the servo to the aileron hinge line.

Soooooo many options.

Oh yea - these servo hatches belong to my 4Star60

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75483.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1798734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12119.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1798735  
Old 09-05-2012, 04:14 PM
rye

thanks
Old 09-05-2012, 05:10 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to respectfully disagree with that. If your servo mounting is the same as what SeamusG shows in Post 7, then everything (all linkages, servo, etc.,) should be perpendicular to the hinge line. That was why I had to make new ones up as described in Post #3.

The setup in Post 7 will work but will cause the servo to work harder and put a lot of stress on the control horn.

Just my $.02