Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

big stik 60 recover question

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

big stik 60 recover question

Old 12-25-2012, 05:48 AM
tlojak38
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default big stik 60 recover question

Hi. I have a question. I'm recovering a big stik 60, and I'm wondering how to go about covering the ailerons and elevator control surfaces. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, bit if you've had or seen these surfaces. They have a contoured edges on them, and that is a little confusing. Anyone know how to go about getting that done? Thanks for any help!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:33 AM
nh4clo4
My Feedback: (33)

Default RE: big stik 60 recover question

The way I found the best is to cover one side, lay it down on the side you just covered, trim the scalloped to about 1/8-3/16 oversize, then make a few slits so it conforms around the edge, when you do the other side, slit the covering in so this side will overlap the slits on the first side.

Take a scrap of balsa and practice, they do add to your covering time.
Good luck and Merry Christmas
Ed
Old 12-25-2012, 06:38 AM
bbbair

OK - I wasn't sure what you meant by 'Contours' so I looked up the plane and saw the trailing edges are 'scalloped' and YES, I can see why they would be difficult to recover.

Personally - I'd replace the elevator and Ailerons with a strait edge... but that is just me.

OK, Plan 'B' Heat, patience and time are the key ingredients here.
Cover as per normal routine and when you come to the Scallops you take your iron and heat up the covering around the individual Scallop pull the covering with a gentle pressure and keep adding the heat around the Scallop (yes you are stretching the covering). Pulling down to get the covering around the TE. Repeat for each Scallop and trim with a Xacto knife.

(Plan 'A' is much simpler )

Happy Landings!
Old 12-25-2012, 09:18 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Plan C, I'm lazy: cover the scallops with one thin piece, then the bottom followed by the top. I touch all my seams with clear nail polish to prevent the dreaded fuel creep.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:30 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If your using Ultracote covering there is no problem. You just bring the covering over the edges a little loose and stick the covering down with the rounded shoe on a trim iron then the covering can be shrunk. Ultra is really good for this. Or you can just use the trim iron and run a strip along the inside of the scallop, then cut slits in the covering so you can run the covering back onto the flat surface of the control. Now you just cover the controls and trim evenly along the edge. The covering really sticks well to itself. Hope that made some sense to you. Easier to show someone then to try to explain it.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:26 AM
tlojak38

I think I understand. I've been watching videos on here and I think I'm going to try the stretch method, like they use to do the end of a wing. I'll try it on a piece of scrap that ill put some scallops on. Thanks for allthe good ideas, and if all else fails, plan b will go into effect.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:30 AM
dignlivn

You could sand the Scalloped T.E. ,so it is straight. (planB)

Bob
Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 PM
icegs

I did a 40 size last summer with the same trailing edge. I got a partially built kit that had two rolls of Solarfilm inside, so I used that. The covering material in general was terrible (in my opinion anyways), but covered the scallops fairly easily. I can't see me using Solarfilm again; it's easy to melt, and not very durable. The colour/adhesive has separate from the film in a number of places after about a year of infrequent flying, and can only be corrected by recovering.

I used a trim iron with fairly high heat, and just gradually worked the covering down into the scallops pushing it with the iron to stretch it. The green is Solarfilm, and the white is Monokote (my usual preference). The Monokote went into the scallops fairly well too, but took a little longer to stretch. The trailing edge of the ailerons took more time than the whole wing to cover.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89156.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	1834449   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gx30605.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	1834450  
Old 01-05-2013, 05:51 PM
tlojak38

hello. just an update on the recover. the pic is just the fuse, but i did find a relatively easy way to cover the scalloped edge on the elevator, and ailerons. i tried it on the elevator, and it worked well.

Name:	Ay73346.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1837168  
Old 01-05-2013, 09:25 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

And what was the method you used to cover the scalloped edges?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:20 AM
tlojak38

I took a thin strip that was longer than the elevator and de the scalloped edge first, trimmed it, and covered the rest.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:46 AM
Inter1

As mentioned just cut and fold for the scallops, you can have real fun recovering this plane

Ian

Name:	Vt57970.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	1869347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41232.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1869348