Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Ultimate Biplane .40 Build. (The covering)

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes Ultimate Biplane .40 Build. (The covering)

Old 06-18-2019, 04:40 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Wow how time flies.... or not. Here it is 2019 and This plane still lives. Granted it has lived in a basement, the garage, back to the basement, in the rafters..... She still has not seen the sky!

I'm hoping to change that. Over the last couple days I've been figuring out where I left off and what I still need to complete. Ordered a muffler, patched up some holes, glued on the canopy, mounted the engine, sanded the cowl, recharged the batteries, re-learned how to program my radio, set my control throws and mixes, tightened my lug nuts, and sharpened my prop.
Based on this Ohio weather I should probably order some floats too.
Old 07-09-2019, 05:13 AM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

She is finished and flies!
The OS 55AX started on the first flip. Ran the first tank as suggested by the manual with no issues. Other than the amount of junk coming out of every book and cranny of the engine. Jeesh I forgot how messy these things were. Another tank with a real rich setting on the ground. Then.... with15 years of no flying and a new plane I was "ready".
I waited for a lull in the flying, started up and taxied out. The motor was still a bit hesitant on the throttle, but it picked up and soon carried the plane up, up, and away.
A few clicks of down, and a bit or right ail and she flew straight and level.
I stayed high and made a few test landings at altitude, and checked on stall characteristics. It slowed down real nice, and the stall was just a slight nose down and right wing drop. Very forgiving.
I made one low pass to get comfortable and came around again to line up for a landing.
She settled into a nice decent for approach, a blip on the throttle, an easy flair, and she reconnected with mother earth rather smoothly.

I've drained a full gallon of fuel threw her, aside from a bit of trouble when my muffler cam a little loose, the OS is performing fantastically. 2 dead sticks from fuel starvation with the muffler problem. One I came up short, but set it down in the beans as gracefully as one could gracefully land in beans. Needed some field repair tape, but no damage.
The plane is getting constant tweaks. I just realigned the motor thrust and (a little up thrust), and moved the CG forward about a 1/2".
My last flight yesterday I did a dozen touch n GPS, a little aerobatic flight, and realized coming I that my left wheel came off. I got her to slow way down and when she hit she just plopped over on the topside with no damage other than scuffs o. the spinner, rudder, and right wing.

She has been great getting back into flying. The GP Ultimate Kit is a fantastic plane for having fun.
Old 12-18-2019, 02:36 PM
CrateCruncher
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice thread. Congratulations on your successful maiden and thanks for adding closure after all these years. I just picked up one of these now RARE Ultimate kits NIB and was given a very used OS 55AX with a peeled liner and rusty bearings. These engines are fragile! After I rebuild mine I plan to always run it a little rich and run it completely out of fuel at the end of the day.