Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Chipmunk Engine mounting

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Goldberg Chipmunk Engine mounting

Old 02-24-2013, 02:44 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Goldberg Chipmunk Engine mounting

I am at the point in my kit where Imount the engine and ran into a slight problem. Iam putting a Magnum 91 4S on it, and the mount Iam using appears to be a wee bit too big. It extends past the firewall on the top when I have the engine centered.

Question, will the smaller mount that comes in the kit work for the 91, or is it too small?

Old 02-24-2013, 03:47 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Goldberg Chipmunk Engine mounting

Quite likely the mount supplied with the kit was for a .60 size engine, but as long as the engine sits okay on the mount bearers and there is enough meat for the mounting bolts it should be okay. Several glow engine manufacturers make their .60 and .90 size engines very close in physical size.
Old 02-24-2013, 06:31 PM
acdii

I gave it a try and it looks OK. I will need to shave a little bit off one corner, but looks like it will work. Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 07:29 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a round mount on mine, and rotated the engine so that the cylinder was slightly down from horizontal.

Les
Old 02-25-2013, 10:17 AM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

I have mounted a Saito 100 and a DLE 20 both inverted with no problems. Use the round engine mount and it fits perfectly.
TB
Old 02-25-2013, 11:16 AM
acdii

The round one doesn't work with the Magnum, cant get the engine to fit squarely to it for some reason.  

I cant see putting a DLE20 on the Chipmunk though, seems like a wee bit too much power for it. 
Old 02-25-2013, 07:34 PM
TonyBuilder
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: acdii

The round onedoesn'twork with the Magnum, cant get the engine to fit squarely to it for some reason.

I cant see putting a DLE20 on the Chipmunk though, seems like a wee bit too much power for it.
Fly’s great, even better then with the Saito 100. The 90 will fly it very scale.

TB
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87615.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	219.9 KB
ID:	1856310   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81123.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	519.0 KB
ID:	1856311  
Old 02-26-2013, 04:49 AM
jimamosn8cah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my Chipmunk with a Saito 100. I don't remember if Iused the stock engine mount or not. However, I do remember using the general hole alignment that came with the kit.

One change that I made was to replace the fireweall with 2 layers of 5 ply birch plywood. Something Ididn't do which I wish I would have was to add hard points for the cowel mounting. My only real negative comment on the entire arrangement of this cowel is that Ihave to take a lot apart to get to the engine, which seemed to be an issue with the Saito 100 until it was broken in.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47715.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	1856450  
Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 AM
acdii

Inverted looks good. I mounted mine sideways so I can get to the GP, but I see you used a remote.  I am not sure yet what I will do for the cowl, use the one it comes with, or mold one from glass. 

If I mount the Magnum inverted then the large mount may work, I will check again before I put the bottom sheeting on. 
Old 02-27-2013, 06:48 AM
TBonez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont't forget about the thick sheeting for the fuse top. I have an OS 70 FS inverted on mine with the mount sticking a little above the firewall thinking I would have to shave it down. Last night I sheeted the top and to my surprise I will not have to trim a thing.

Also I suggest Fiberglass Specailties for the cowl, looks really good. I will still make the ABS cowl as a template only.

Good luck
Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 AM
acdii

Oh thats right, forgot about the sheeting!  Should be fine then.  Since I can still get to the back of the firewall I will just get 4 more locknuts and add the inverted mount points to. I can just plug the ones I dont use for fuel proofing.