Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Eagle 2 or Sig Kadet Mk 2 ?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Eagle 2 or Sig Kadet Mk 2 ?

Old 02-25-2013, 02:13 PM
WoodCutter
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eagle 2 or Sig Kadet Mk 2 ?

Hello all...

I have been a scratch builder of planes for30 plusyears now.

Lately, I've found myself wanting a slow gentle flying trainer type A/C for some relaxed flying. I have also gotten where I don't want to spend too much time building anymore with all of my other "projects" going on.

I have a 20 year old Fox .25 Bushing R/C laying around with great compression which is looking for a home.

I realize I'd have to shave some weight off of either of these two kits (can you say lightening holes?), but of these two kits The Goldberg Eagle 2 OR The Sig Kadet Mark 2, which would be the easier, faster build engineering wise. I have also built many kits in the past as well but have never built either of these two kits.

Thanks in advance for any opinions....
Old 02-25-2013, 03:08 PM
fix-n-fly
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Eagle 2 or Sig Kadet Mk 2 ?

Try the Sig LT-25. I had one with a OS Max FP .25 and it flew at 1/2 throttle. It has a 63" wing like the Eagle 2, but has conventional landing gear. I imagine you could engineer it as a tricycle landing gear if you like. Really nice plane. The kit is entirely laser cut and goes together like a puzzle. One of the nicest kits I've built.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:15 PM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

vote for eagle II
Old 02-25-2013, 04:50 PM
shd3920

I love the style and looks of the Sig Kadet Mark 2 much, much better. SO MY VOTE GOES FOR THAT ONE.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:52 PM
noveldoc
My Feedback: (2)

not sure you would have to shave weight on the Mk II if you build light.  I flew a Seniorita on a bushing 20 for years.

Tom
Old 02-25-2013, 05:13 PM
WoodCutter
My Feedback: (8)

Yeah if  I remember other Sig kits from the past, they did require a bit more sanding/fitting than the Goldbergs, but I have to agree with the opinion that aesthetically they have it all over the Eagles. 

I believe the mark 2's have slab sides and top/bottom vs the built up fuse of the Senioritas, but with some weight control measures the .25 should fly it at a nice scale like manner.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:15 PM
guitarsbanjo

My learning was done on an Eagle II, and I've flown several and built one. I've also flown the Kadet MK II,(though I've never built one)and I do think the Kadet flys better. Both will land at nearly a crawl, but the ailerons (and I would build it with ailerons) on the Kadet stay more effective at a very slow (at any speed really) speed. If I were to build either, I would remove the incidence in the wing and most of it in the motor. I think for modern engines and radios this is all not needed. A tad of down and right thrust is probably good, but if built exactly as kitted Ican't trim them; any variance in the throttle setting makes them climb or lose altitude. Some people blame that on the flat bottom wings but Idon' think that is totally correct because I've flown other flat bottom winged aircraft with little or no incidence in the wing and they were far better. But, they fly fine as they are. I wonder if all of the incidence is so the plane "self corrects" if put into a dive? I do know that if you dive them towards the ground and let go of the stick they will TRY to come out of it, and if you were high enough they might recover, but for an experienced flyer I think they would fly better without. And for the trainee, I've trained quite a few people and rare is the beginner who will let go of the stick, even when I'm calmly saying, just let go of the stick, just let go of the stick, OK, I've got it!

I think the Kadet flys "better" because it has a stiffer wing, and it has sheeting on the leading edge wich probably has the effect of making the wing "look" thicker to the oncoming air? And I think it has a larger radius on the leading edge...it all adds up to an easy to fly plane. And the airfoil just looks better IMHO.

Austin
Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

The Eagle is a great flying model but I wonder if a 25 will be enough power. I have an OS 40LA on mine, which flies it just fine. The 40LA is a weak 40, but I'm not sure a 25 would be enough.

Once in the air it would be OK, but you might have trouble getting it off a grass field.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:49 PM
matadco
My Feedback: (1)

I haven't had an Eagle II for years and last month I found one on E-Bay "Cheep". The kit was complete and I have it pretty well formed up except this time I am attaching the wings with bolt-down instead of rubber bands. I've never been fond of Goldberg's rubber band wing attachment. I don't know if I should cover and then attach or attach and then cover. Any opinions? Which is the easiest? I am going to pull it with a new ASP 6l 4-Stroke. Hobby King has a great price on them and I got it within one week. Spring is a cummin so should be able to get into the air in a few more weeks. Eagle was the kit I learned on back younder when. It should be fun on slow, calm wind days assuming we can find one in Oklahoma!