Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

For all you ARF haters......Sig Kavalier kit built

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

For all you ARF haters......Sig Kavalier kit built

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 PM
deadstickdan
My Feedback: (3)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default For all you ARF haters......Sig Kavalier kit built

I've assembled quite a few ARF's over the years and I finally got bored with that so I decided to build a kit. I had originally purchased this kit for my dad back around 1995 so he could start flying r/c again. As things go, he never got around to it. I asked if I could build it and obviously he didn't disagree. The Kavalier is really a nice easy kit to build, the instructions are excellent and I think the end result turned out to be okay. I used Monokote Missile red, Insignia Blue and White mainly because you can still get the matching paint for it and you can't go wrong with the color combination. Obviously I used the pictures on the box for the color design but changed up the original scheme somewhat. I am not a covering expert, that's for sure but I'm getting better and while I like using Monokote, the Missile red seemed to be the most difficult to deal with. Again, that is probably just a problem with me.

The engine is an OS 40SF (that should tell you how long I've had this) and the prop on it is an APC 10 x 6. I have an APC 11 x 6 that I may switch to. The pilot is a Williams Brothers pilot that I put together and painted. I used Dubro low bounce wheels, 2 3/4" main and 2 1/4" nose, and I polished the main landing gear with my dremel tool and a little metal polish. I'm using a 6 channel S-FHSS receiver (only 4 channels will be used) with my Futaba T8J transmitter. I really like this transmitter. It's easy to program, the screen is easy to read, there is no external antennae on the transmitter and it balances very nice on my neckstrap. All up weight without fuel is 5 1/2 pounds so I think it should perform very good. I have not flown this yet but look forward to doing that very soon.

Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94644.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1862071   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45696.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1862072   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38066.jpg
Views:	505
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1862073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39069.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	1862074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65497.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	1862075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27190.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	1862076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46064.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	1862077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27402.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1862078  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54567.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1862079  
Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 PM
krokko

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: For all you ARF haters......Sig Kavalier kit built

ORIGINAL: deadstickdan

I've assembled quite a few ARF's over the years and I finally got bored with that so I decided to build a kit. I had originally purchased this kit for my dad back around 1995 so he could start flying r/c again. As things go, he never got around to it. I asked if I could build it and obviously he didn't disagree. The Kavalier is really a nice easy kit to build, the instructions are excellent and I think the end result turned out to be okay. I used Monokote Missile red, Insignia Blue and White mainly because you can still get the matching paint for it and you can't go wrong with the color combination. Obviously I used the pictures on the box for the color design but changed up the original scheme somewhat. I am not a covering expert, that's for sure but I'm getting better and while I like using Monokote, the Missile red seemed to be the most difficult to deal with. Again, that is probably just a problem with me.

The engine is an OS 40SF (that should tell you how long I've had this) and the prop on it is an APC 10 x 6. I have an APC 11 x 6 that I may switch to. The pilot is a Williams Brothers pilot that I put together and painted. I used Dubro low bounce wheels, 2 3/4'' main and 2 1/4'' nose, and I polished the main landing gear with my dremel tool and a little metal polish. I'm using a 6 channel S-FHSS receiver (only 4 channels will be used) with my Futaba T8J transmitter. I really like this transmitter. It's easy to program, the screen is easy to read, there is no external antennae on the transmitter and it balances very nice on my neckstrap. All up weight without fuel is 4 1/2 pounds so I think it should perform very good. I have not flown this yet but look forward to doing that very soon.

Here are some pics:

Hi and welcome back to the hobby!

rgds/krokko
The following users liked this post:
nibor123 (08-07-2022)
Old 03-15-2013, 04:30 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful job! You seem to have a real knack for building. So did this make you want to build more kits or was one enough?
Old 03-15-2013, 04:36 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

+ 1 on the welcome back. Very nice looking model and a nice building job too. I remember Sig kits and the Kadet as a very nice flier. I still have a Kougar Mk 11 kit unopened under my work bench. Tried offering it as a prize at our club's Fun Fly a couple years ago and everyone said " but it's not a model, it's a kit"...... that's where ARF's have taken us.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:30 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Welcome back! This bird is outstanding! ARF owners eat your hearts out!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:54 AM
deadstickdan

I very much enjoyed the building process. There will be more kits to come and while I still think ARFs are okay, I don't look at them the same right now. Much more satisfaction thru the kit build process. The next kit will be a Autogyro Compnay of Arizona C4 auto gyro. That should build quick and definitely be a challenge to fly.

smithcreek, I have seen your Pitcairn build/flight and I do have one of those kits waitng in the wings

Dan
Old 03-15-2013, 08:33 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

BEAUTIFULL job on the Kavalier! ....Gene
Old 03-15-2013, 11:06 AM
roncoleman
My Feedback: (14)

Good work on your Kavalier. Looks great!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:46 AM
yel914

Nice job Deadstick. I think the kit building process is half the hobby, but that's just me and few other die hard builders! The nice thing is the feeling you get when you fly this bird. They fly differently that ARFs. Not better or worse, it's just that you know what went into the plane and it feels different to fly it. You seem to care about the plane more and stand with a sense of wonder that you built this plane yourself and it's up in the air. Not like an ARF that seems so easily replaced. Enjoy the maiden.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:08 PM
FlyerInOKC

ORIGINAL: yel914

Nice job Deadstick. I think the kit building process is half the hobby, but that's just me and few other die hard builders! The nice thing is the feeling you get when you fly this bird. They fly differently that ARFs. Not better or worse, it's just that you know what went into the plane and it feels different to fly it. You seem to care about the plane more and stand with a sense of wonder that you built this plane yourself and it's up in the air. Not like an ARF that seems so easily replaced. Enjoy the maiden.
AMEN!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:44 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

ORIGINAL: deadstickdan I've assembled quite a few ARF's over the years and I finally got bored with that so I decided to build a kit. I had originally purchased this kit for my dad back around 1995 so he could start flying r/c again. As things go, he never got around to it. I asked if I could build it and obviously he didn't disagree. The Kavalier is really a nice easy kit to build, the instructions are excellent and I think the end result turned out to be okay. I used Monokote Missile red, Insignia Blue and White mainly because you can still get the matching paint for it and you can't go wrong with the color combination.
Hey deadstickdan, that is a really nice build, really sharp. If I didn't have a Goldberg Falcon III already, I'd shoot for the Cavalier. Sig manufacturers nice stuff.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:02 PM
JCOKEEFE
My Feedback: (2)

Great job. Don't stop there. Continue to build. True, building takes time and effort and a few more $$$, but the end result is worth it. You built a plane that is yours. [8D]
Old 03-15-2013, 06:46 PM
deadstickdan

Thank you all for the comments on the Kavalier. I know this one will fly good. I took these pictures on our dining room table and maybe I'm the only one that this happens to but my build room is now a mess. The plane looks good but geeeeeeeeezzzz loueeeeeeeeeeeeez do I have some cleanin' to do I just know I'll find something in there that I thought I had and couldn't find so I went and bought another

I'll get the room all neat and tidy again and start on the next build.

Dan
Old 03-15-2013, 10:07 PM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Looks great!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:50 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice airplane! I think if there was ever an assessment to determine the most classic kit of all time, the Kavalier would have to be it. I never built one, but I always looked at it in the Sig catalog with desire. Had friends that flew them and they are great performing machines.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:49 AM
deadstickdan

One other thing I tried to do differently with this build is that I used no CA glue. The only glues I used were Titebond II, 30 minute epoxy and 5 minute epoxy. CA glue is starting to bother me and for my pace of building Titebond sets quick enough. I had tried Titebond III on some balsa wood and it works, but soon found out that when Titebond II was used the glue was a lighter color and blended in with the balsa wood better. I don't think I'll ever get tired of opening the kit box and smelling all that balsa

Dan
Old 03-16-2013, 03:15 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nicely done. My son and i built one of these back in the 80's. He did most of the building, the plane turned great and they fly great too. Good going on the glue method and you saved yourself some money too.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:08 AM
turbo.gst
My Feedback: (8)

That is a nice looking Kavalier! I built one for my dad in the 80's. It is a very good flyer. I hope you enjoy many flights with yours.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:58 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Very nice job, Dan. I saw one of these kits NIB at the Perry swap meet a couple of weeks ago, but I was trying to get to another table for something I spotted. When I went back to score that Kavalier kit, it was gone.[]

I'm about to get back into building myself; just last night I set up the building board and will get back on a Sig Somethin' Extra that my grandson and I began some years ago; got one wing panel done, and the boy discovered girls.

Treasure that .40 SF. I've got one on a Sig Kougar, and a .46 SF on a Stik. Both were purchased back in 1988, both have hundreds of hours on them, and both are fabulous engines. Compare them to current offerings, and you will simply shake your head and wonder "What happened?"

Old 03-16-2013, 11:00 AM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

deadstickdan,

From the pics, your completed plane looks excellent! Congrats on a kit build, and keep at it. You even used the old Williams Bros pilots which I used many of, and that adds more to the nostalgia. Jon
Old 03-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Gypsy56

I'm almost finished with my Kavalier. Did you do anything to lighten yours up?
4 1/2 pounds seems very light for a finished Kav.

Ed
Old 03-16-2013, 08:57 PM
deadstickdan

Gypsy,

Now I know why my wife has been so happy. I originally used our digital bathroom scale to weigh the plane and it showed 4 1/2 pounds. Tonight I dug out another scale that I've had for years. It's a basic analog scale but is fairly accurate. I weighed a 5 oz fish anchor and my scale was dead on at 5 oz. I put the Kavalier on the scale and found that it actually weighs in at 5 1/2 pounds without fuel. I edited my original post to show the correct weight. I think that makes more sense but now I have to let my wife know she's heavier than she thinks

Dan
Old 03-17-2013, 12:54 PM
Gypsy56

Maybe you should have just left the digital scale for the wife to use and not told her about it.
Would have made for a happier household. Now you have to put up with all that "low cal" stuff for awhile!

Ed
Old 03-18-2013, 08:01 AM
FlyerInOKC

One other thing I tried to do differently with this build is that I used no CA glue. The only glues I used were Titebond II, 30 minute epoxy and 5 minute epoxy. CA glue is starting to bother me and for my pace of building Titebond sets quick enough. I had tried Titebond III on some balsa wood and it works, but soon found out that when Titebond II was used the glue was a lighter color and blended in with the balsa wood better. I don't think I'll ever get tired of opening the kit box and smelling all that balsa

Dan
Dan,

If you get into a position you need to do a little tacking or what have you with CA switch to the foam safe CA. It has a different solvent base and does the trick for me. I can't touch the regular CA without getting sick for a week from the fumes. I have no problems with Bob Smiith's foam safe CA. He even did a custom mix for me once when I need a really thick version. Check your local shop he usually puts their name on the bottle. The foam safe thin has a white top and the medium a black top. These guys are scale modelers so check their website to droll over some beautiful birds!

Mike
Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 AM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gypsy,

Now I know why my wife has been so happy. I originally used our digital bathroom scale to weigh the plane and it showed 4 1/2 pounds. Tonight I dug out another scale that I've had for years. It's a basic analog scale but is fairly accurate. I weighed a 5 oz fish anchor and my scale was dead on at 5 oz. I put the Kavalier on the scale and found that it actually weighs in at 5 1/2 pounds without fuel. I edited my original post to show the correct weight. I think that makes more sense but now I have to let my wife know she's heavier than she thinks

Dan
Now there's a slippery slope for sure! Let us know when you get out of the dog house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.