Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Trimming Koverall

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Trimming Koverall

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 01:53 PM
rkcruit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trimming Koverall

I am looking for a few suggestions on the best way to trim Koverall to fit around angled edges (corners), such as the rudder shown in these pictures. When I try to wrap the cloth, it overlaps and looks terrible.
I tried cutting the cloth at a 45 degree angle but part of the surface is still bare.
I hope this makes sense. (If you could see how I wrap Christmas gifts, my difficulty with this process would be of no surprise to any of you) I am adhering the Koverall with Stix-it and then filling the weave with Nitrate.

Thanks for any help.

Robert
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67905.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1876570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr53964.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1876571  
Old 04-27-2013, 02:15 PM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Trimming Koverall

I have done it the following two ways. I would iron it down on one side, & trim it to the outline. Then iron the other side on & pull the Koverall over the edge over to the side where you just ironed it to. Then trim it off around the edge. After several coats of dope with sanding that edge in between its virtuall invisible. The second way ive done it was to cover & stretch to the center of the edges. Then use a new razor blade & cut it down the center line. Repete from the other side. Same deal, after several coats of dope with sanding that seam it is gone. I prefer the first method, its faster for me. The second works better with colored silk......Gene
Old 04-27-2013, 02:20 PM
goirish

If this is a nitro plane don't forget that nitrate is not fuel proof. Butyrate is.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, you need to calibrate your iron. You need two temps, 250F and 350F. For sharp radius's with the iron at 350, heat the curve while pulling on the fabric. You should be able to eliminate any wrinkles using the iron at 350. When heat shrinking the fabric along the wing, shrink first at 250 then 350.

As for trimming, coat the Koverall with clear dope along the cut, allow it to dry, then trim with a sharp razor blade. The fabric is tough and will eat several blades.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:14 AM
Lowvoltage

The cure for dull razor blades:

http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...cessor=content

Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: gene6029

I have done it the following two ways. I would iron it down on one side, & trim it to the outline. Then iron the other side on & pull the Koverall over the edge over to the side where you just ironed it to. Then trim it off around the edge. After several coats of dope with sanding that edge in between its virtuall invisible. The second way ive done it was to cover & stretch to the center of the edges. Then use a new razor blade & cut it down the center line. Repete from the other side. Same deal, after several coats of dope with sanding that seam it is gone. I prefer the first method, its faster for me. The second works better with colored silk......Gene
this is how I do it (first method). The seam is absolutely invisible.

carl