Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

DynaFlite Super Decathlon Kit Bash and Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

DynaFlite Super Decathlon Kit Bash and Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 09:16 AM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

drummaker, glad to see your maden went well i'm working on mine slow but sure.man this kit has some very hard balsa. exchanging
some.
why not try putting both wing halfs together with struts on the metal tube & ballance check.
one wing mignt be heaver than the other,
this would help your trim if you find any unballance. if you do a little tip weight would take care of that.looking forward to videos.
TRAINERMASTER
Old 06-29-2015, 06:03 PM
drummaker

here is the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1MIOumqzdE
Old 06-29-2015, 06:32 PM
trainermaster80

Drummaker,
watched your decathlon vidio this evening. Nice job flying cured my fears on landing, ha! Ha!
Just exited me to hurry as fast as i can manage to finish mine. Have dle 35ra for mine. Got a panel/fuel dot from mile high. Thanks for the suggestion. Trainermaster 80
Old 06-30-2015, 02:03 AM
drummaker

I am beginning to think about my next project......... Maybe the top flite dc3
Old 07-01-2015, 06:04 PM
trainermaster80

i have several nib kits i'd give you a special price on 3 Lou Andrews kits a midwest cap 232 great flyer & lander . 80" ws
email ME [email protected]

Last edited by trainermaster80; 07-01-2015 at 06:12 PM. Reason: LEFT OUT CONTACT INFO
Old 08-01-2015, 08:36 AM
trainermaster80

Drum maker,
i just managed to finish my tail feathers for my decathlon. Was surprized that the total wt was 7-1/8 ounces. Matt newmans post as to how to lighted the tail feathers as well as weing wood from the hobby shop to replace heavy kit wood paid off.HIS WT WAS 9.9 OZ
I would love to end up with a ready to fly wt of 11 to 13-1/2 pounds. Dle 35ra engine & smoke. Watched now & then
your video of yours flying for incouragement to keep building mine. Thanks trainermaster80

Last edited by trainermaster80; 08-01-2015 at 08:39 AM. Reason: errors in wording
Old 08-14-2015, 11:04 AM
funnotcrazy

Hey Drummaker -

Was that last video the maiden flight? I have the same model almost done.
Do you make drums? I am a drummer.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:10 AM
trainermaster80

Is this thread dead or there still other modelers like me who are still building a dynaflite super decathlon kit?
Trainermaster80 frankie g. I have both wing halfs don sans leading edge, tips & one aileron. I designed a hatach over the servo bays.
Will start fusealage next monday. I will be 88 dec 8 1917. Hey! Keep em flying! Join in the build post.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:13 PM
dcollins
My Feedback: (12)

Default Still Following

Originally Posted by trainermaster80
Is this thread dead or there still other modelers like me who are still building a dynaflite super decathlon kit?
I am currently building. Just completing the fuse and trying to plan ahead for fabric covering. I change my mind every other day! The fumes with dope concern me most of all. I should say my wife is concerned about the smell ...and maybe my neighbors as well. Any lower fume suggestions?
Old 12-11-2016, 01:16 PM
trainermaster80

ALLMOAST ALL PAINT/DOPE SPRAY CANS WILL SMELL USING IN THE HOUSE. I USE THEM IN THE GARAGE OR IN THE WARM WEATHER AND HAVE A FAN AT THE WINDOW. I USE A WOODEN HANDEL FOAM BRUSH FROM HOE DEPOT OF THE HOBBY SHOP. DONT USE THEM TOO LONG OR THE DOPE STARTS TO MELT THEM
FOR A FABRIC LOOK SUPER COVERITE HAS A FABRIC LOOK LIKE THE REAL DECATHLON HAS. I HAVE TRIED IT AND IT LOOKS GOOD.
I AM JUST FINISHING UP BOTH WING AILERONS & LEADING EDGE & TIPS SO YOU ARE AHEAD OF ME. HAVING BACK THERAPY SLOWED ME DOWN SOME. AT 88 0N THE 8th OF DECEMBER I AM STILL BUILDING & FLYING. BUT I DONT THINK I WILL BUILD MUCH ANY AFTER I FINISH THE DECATHLON. BE SURE TO FIRMLY ATTACH YOUR SERVO & BATTERY CONNECTIONS AS SOME DECATHLON FLYERS HAVE LOST THE PLANE DUE TO THAT. I USE PARSONS SAFETY CLIPS ON MINE. KEEP POSTING ON YOUR PROGRESS, FINALL DRY WEIGHT, ENGINE USED & OF COURSE THE MADEN FLITE. I HAVE A DLE 35 RA FOR MINE FITS THE COWEL WITH OUT A LOT OF CUTTING & WILL FLY THE PLAND WITH ATHORITY. MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY FLYING IN 2017 TRAINERMASTER FRANKIE G TO D COLLINS
Old 12-04-2017, 07:44 AM
coleboom

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by funnotcrazy
Hey Drummaker -

I don't know why I just now am seeing this but Yes I do make or did make drums
Ashikos. Djun Djuns and I have mad a few custom snare drums. (much more difficult as you have to wind up with an exact outside diameter for stock hardware to work)
Old 12-04-2017, 07:59 AM
coleboom

Originally Posted by funnotcrazy
Hey Drummaker -

I don't know why I just now am seeing this but Yes I do make or did make drums
Ashikos. Djun Djuns and I have mad a few custom snare drums. (much more difficult as you have to wind up with an exact outside diameter for stock hardware to work)

yes That WAS the maiden video. I crashed this plane a couple of weeks earlier.. there was some glitch that was causing ailerons to twitch and cause a left bank unexpectantly which eventually spiralin

I have since rebuilt... All that paint caused this plane to be tail heavy causing me to put a bunch of lead in the front in addition to the already heavy electric start.

Here are pics of the new design.

I moved all the servos up toward the front and just used ultracoat (I think). the plane then balanced at cg with all batteries all the way forward (either side of tank right behind firewall) Plus electric start (which I love)

here are pics

I since added a couple of stripes to fill in on the main wing

I recently RE fell in love with this plane
I had been babying it as the destruction from the crash had been severe and I was honestly worried about strength.
the other day I took this out and threw it around the sky like nobodies business. It flies great... The DLE will pull it straight vertical all be it slowly. Were I to build it again I would

If I was willing to do without the electric start which I think I wouldn't be as it is handier than I can express. Considerably lighten up the tail feathers and mount all servo's as far up as possible

otherwise

I would go to a 35 or 40 CC engine. this plane handles great and deserves to be overpowered.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	decthlon on end.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	2246826   Click image for larger version

Name:	decathlon front.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	2246827  

Last edited by coleboom; 12-04-2017 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:42 AM
coleboom

Here is my last project completed

As far as the decathlon is concerned... I think I loved the original orange and black scheme and wish I had redone it on rebuild

any opinions?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	elder.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	2246832  
Old 04-15-2019, 04:53 PM
trainermaster80

has any one used the WW 2 victory stripes on the bottom of the super Decath wing right wing. how wide are the black & white stripes & how many per wing half 7 what material did you use for the black stripes ? thanks
the 90 year old modeler Frankie Trainermaster 80 thank you. is this thread dead/
Old 04-16-2019, 03:40 AM
rsrguy3

Default Decathlon

I don't think it's dead. I always thought they were called invasion stiles. No clue on what size. I'd count hem up an divide the number of stripes by the span.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:47 AM
rsrguy3

By the way does anyone make a realistic scale cowl for this?
Old 10-30-2019, 11:39 AM
trainermaster80

Default dynaflite super decathlon side window gluing

can any one who have compleated building a dynaflite super decathlon can tell me how to glue in the side windows without getting glue all over unwanted areas of the window?
thanks FRANKIE TRAINERMASTER80
Old 04-25-2020, 11:21 AM
trainermaster80

Default Dynaflite super decathlon windshield

HELP NEEDED !!
ANY ONE READING THESE DYNAFLITE SUPER DECATHLON KIT POST/THREADS NOTE:
I SPILLED CA ON MY WINDSHIELD, ANY ONE HAVE A NEW ONE FOR SALE OR A USABLE USED ON I COULD BY]UY?
I WILL PAY YOUR PRICE + POSTAGE HELP!!
EMAIL ME : [email protected]
THANKS
P.S IF YOU ARE JUST STARTING TO BUILD THIS KIT EMAIL ME AS I HAVE A LOT OF UPGRADE INFO TO SEND YOU WITH KNOW HOW TO DO IT'S FRANK GRUSWITZ