Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Hobby King Iron on covering

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hobby King Iron on covering

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 07:18 PM
Frank Schwartz
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hobby King Iron on covering

I've been using Monokote for years and it has always worked well for me, even that it keeps going up in price.
S9omeone told me that Hobby King has some real good iron on covering at good prices. Has anyone used any of it and if so, please tell me how you liked it.
Thanks,
Frank
Old 08-31-2013, 08:34 PM
vertical grimmace

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Would be nice if it works well. Especially if there is a transparent option. New Monkeykote sucks, and the only reason why I need it now is for transparents. The last time I used it. only a year ago, it was the worst covering I have ever used. At this point (not that I use film coverings hardly ever) if I need some transparent, I would like to have a source.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:10 AM
Frank Schwartz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have not had a problem with Monokote transparent in the past. But...let's wait and see if anyone has used the covering from Hobby King and we will see what they have to say. Hobby King has a wide variety of colors and it is very inexpensive....also they have transparent....
Old 09-01-2013, 05:14 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

China coat, I have a bunch of it. It is sort of a cross between Ulta coat, mono and cheap coat. It goes on at low temp, Does not shrink as much as you think it will, stronger than econocote. You can not pull it up. You will tear the layers apart. It is pretty strong though. I have tried to put holes in it with vertical 9 landings in bushes. It seems to have a tough outer clear layer and the same under layers as econo stuff.

I got mine from Hobby Partz. They are out off stock on a lot of it. I picked up a bunch of rolls when they had them on sale for $4.00 and $5.00

http://www.hobbypartz.com/film.html

Buzz.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:02 AM
maekju

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using the Hobby King covering for about 3 years now and I like it very much. The temp range is about the same as Ultra Coat maybe even a little less. It can shrink like crazy but you need to be careful you don't burn through. The plastic backing is easily removed using a piece of tape. For $8.50 you get 5 meters of covering, that's 16 feet.. The drawback is shipping cost. You need to order enough rolls to justify the shipping cost. I ordered 5 rolls the last time. I got the basic colors I usually use and use Mono for trim. The planes pictured here were covered using Hobby King covering.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0518.JPG
Views:	629
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	1916634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0390.JPG
Views:	557
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	1916639   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0775.JPG
Views:	582
Size:	4.17 MB
ID:	1916642  
Old 09-11-2013, 06:41 PM
Roger Gray

I've used it on the last several planes I've scratch built and It works great. Just wish the USA warehouse would stock it. Reasonably priced, twice the length of monokote!
Old 09-12-2013, 05:18 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default 40 size rudder covered with HK iron on covering material

I recently bought some of the Hobby King covering material to check out. So far all I have done is this rudder – just to see how the stuff is going to work.

Till now almost all of my covering has been Monokote. So I have no idea how ultra coat is -or some of the others.

What I can say with the HK stuff - confirms what has already been mentioned. It works at a considerably cooler temperature compared to Monokote. Does not seem to stretch much like monokote, but shrinks up fine when getting it around the corner. It also appears to stick really well. It will take a little more practice for me to get use to working with it. But in the end I get comparable results to what I am capable of with Monokote.

Sorry about the focus being out on the corner shots ---

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1090.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	1919801   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1091.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	1919802   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1092.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	1919803  
Old 09-14-2013, 07:01 AM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Gotta say Rick, that looks great!!!! I really want to try some out now!
Old 09-14-2013, 08:55 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Daddyo57
Gotta say Rick, that looks great!!!! I really want to try some out now!
I was born, raised, and learned to fly model airplanes in Lancaster, Are the Tailwinds still the active club?

Bob
Old 09-14-2013, 11:36 AM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Yes they are still going strong although we are losing our field next year and as of right now no replacement but ideas are in the works. Lancaster is a good place to be from LOL.