Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Midwest Extra 300xs

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Midwest Extra 300xs

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 04:53 AM
everwood
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Extra 300xs

I want to build a Midwest extra this winter and this plane builds with a one piece wing. I would like to build it with wing tube and wing halves that attach to side of fuse.
It seems that would save a lot of weight if it is possible.

Question is has anyone tried that on a model? Does it work? Does it save weight? And if so,can anyone direct me to a thread that would help?

Thanks
Old 10-11-2013, 06:21 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Wayne I am sure it can be done. But two piece wings are made to make transporting the plane easier, not to save weight. I think it would be a great idea on that plane but it will not make it lighter. At least IMHO.

David
Old 10-11-2013, 06:33 AM
everwood

Thanks for the reply.
I have only built 4 planes so far. I was assuming that there was considerable weight in the wing area that goes through the fuse that could be eliminated.
And I thought the tube would be less weight than the extra wing mass. Maybe not. I guess that is the question.
Anyone else have any experience with this??
Old 10-11-2013, 08:01 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Everwood, i built this plane back in the mid 90's. It is a great flyer, you will really enjoy it. Have another kit that i will get to some day. For the amount of work you would have to do in design changes, my opinion is it just wouldn't be worth it. I agree with David, i am not sure you would save any weight, if you did, it would be minimal. The bonus for wing tubes and two piece wing panels is storage and transportation. Personally, i would take a one piece wing over a two piece any time. Size of the aircraft sometimes does not allow that. Good luck with your build.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:08 AM
everwood

That make it unanimous. I will build to plans with one piece wing. I know there are several ways to lighted this model. I will be researching these when I get ready to start.

Thanks again for the input.