Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Controlling balsa dust >

Controlling balsa dust

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Controlling balsa dust

Old 10-25-2013, 05:46 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Controlling balsa dust

OK Builders, how do you keep balsa dust from spreading all over your work area? I'm wondering if placing a HEPA air filter on my work table would help. I would orient it so that it draws from the area where I am sanding.

I'd like to hear what others do.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:52 PM
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I take my parts needing sanding to my wood workers club and use the vacuum sanding table. These can be bought from most any wood workers store like the Emporium or on line. When the plane is assembled and I'm in my home shop I take the parts/plane outside to do the heavy sanding. Finish and light sanding I just live with the dust inside the shop. About once or twice a year I bring in the shop vac and have at it. At the wood club even the vacuum table allows dust to get away, we also have a bunch of dust collectors hanging throughout the shop with a dust collecting system hooked up to most the machines. Even with all that the shop has to be cleaned by hand every day. Good luck with trying to keep it out of a home shop.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:41 AM

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I remember an article in an old magazine for making a dust collector.

It was basically a plywood cube about 2 feet in size with a filter on the inlet
& a cheapo bathroom type ceiling fan on the other, the designer said it worked great
but no comments on how often the filter had to be changed etc.

Even with all that the shop has to be cleaned by hand every day.
Easy to do, a friend showed me how much grunt his new EDF model had, garage = very
little dust, the neighbourhood = .........

John.
Old 10-26-2013, 01:27 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gray Beard
I take my parts needing sanding to my wood workers club and use the vacuum sanding table. These can be bought from most any wood workers store like the Emporium or on line. When the plane is assembled and I'm in my home shop I take the parts/plane outside to do the heavy sanding. Finish and light sanding I just live with the dust inside the shop. About once or twice a year I bring in the shop vac and have at it. At the wood club even the vacuum table allows dust to get away, we also have a bunch of dust collectors hanging throughout the shop with a dust collecting system hooked up to most the machines. Even with all that the shop has to be cleaned by hand every day. Good luck with trying to keep it out of a home shop.
Ditto to that, and wear a mask to cover your nose and mouth. Available at any good hardware store.