Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Hatch for a 4 Star 40 >

Hatch for a 4 Star 40

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Hatch for a 4 Star 40

Old 11-21-2013, 03:36 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hatch for a 4 Star 40

I would like to make a hatch over the fuel tank on this plane. I am not sure on how to do it exactly. So any help or ideas would be appreciated. Especially you guys that have experience with this Sig kit.
thanks
Derrick
Old 11-21-2013, 08:10 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My after thought hatchs are sometimes LESS than spectacular to look at ! but I generally look in the fuse try to figure out what is where. Then I take a razor saw and exacto knife to cut away the hatch. You might be able to use a thin pin to stick thru and FIND exactly where the bulkheads are glued in to the top of the hood. I think the bigger the better on hatch size personally. I like to use a wooden dowel pin up front to hold the hood down, and magnets in the back. Thats what I do on my electric conversions.You will need to make a new front and back bulkhead in the hatch once its removed so that it holds its shape well.

Like I said its not always easy to do and keep things pretty,
Old 11-24-2013, 04:49 AM

Thanks for the info foodstick.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a tank access hatch in the bottom of this 4*. Instead of gluing the bottom forward fuse plate in place, I glued in a 1/8" x 1/4" frame and the bottom plate is attached to it with # 2 counter sunk screws. The engine is mounted inverted so looking at both pic's the bottom is up.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_0658.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	773.2 KB
ID:	1941777   Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_0659.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	725.1 KB
ID:	1941779  
Old 11-24-2013, 07:51 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Dguy, for some reason I was thinking you were retro fitting the hatch.. and not building a kit... sign of the times I guess !
Icemakers idea would also work on the top., Instead of shaping the hood the way the instructions state ...simply screw a piece of wood down to the top of the tank cover. then sand it to shape.

The main key is to leave the structure strong enough even without the hatch on,Add some bracing ,tri stock etc. and then be able to securely hold it on. There is nothing wrong with changing the shape or look of things a bit, kitbashing is a fun way to customize.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you are building, you have several options. Think about whether you want to have a hatch or just use tape to pull the tank back into the fuse compartment to work on it. Good luck!

Last edited by CanDo; 11-24-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a cowl for the build, the engine is inverted, I had to get a lower tank placement. I do have mounting plate above the tank. The tank will come out through the fuse after removing the receivers. The hatch makes it convenient.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_0660.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	755.2 KB
ID:	1941813  
Old 11-24-2013, 03:01 PM

Thanks guys for the tips. Y'all have given me some ideas.
Derrick