Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

And the Swoose went SPLAT!!

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

And the Swoose went SPLAT!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default And the Swoose went SPLAT!!

Float flying this morning was outstanding, perfect weather after several days of rain and wind. This is the Swoose I built last summer, the one Someone told me I was setting up all wrong, I won't mention any names Z but it lifts off in about 15 feet.
I won't be flying any more until I have the cataract surgery early next year and I pushed my luck again and got bit in the butt. I was doing a slow and low fly by for the camera but after the turn {one Eye closed} I opened the other eye and had the old double vision, I should have been flying the lowest plane instead of the one on top, just snagged the right float. Splat !!! Minor damage. The wing did pop off and take out the hold down blocks and that did a bit of damage to the fuse. Easy fix but I hate doing repairs. All pilot error, the plane only took four clicks of up elevator to trim, loops and rolls as well with the floats or standard LG mounted.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2013_1109lakeMead0001.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	1942237   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013_1109lakeMead0002.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	1942238   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013_1109lakeMead0004.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1942239  
Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 PM
drube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that Gene but nice scenery!
Old 11-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Gray Beard

It was such a nice day and the scenery was so fantastic a couple of us decided to take the long way home. The road follows the lake and takes you out right to the freeway. After several days of rain it was good to be outside. 60 degrees and calm. I pulled the engine and opened it up, have it soaking in a tub of glow fuel. Opened up the RX and servos and shot them down with electric cleaner. I'll button everything up tomorrow and test it all.
When I did the Swoose build I built the two of them at the same time. The fellow I built the other one for can no longer fly so he gave it back to me. I built it for electric and will finish it up this winter. I'll leave it for float flying only and use this one for land flying. I found it easier to use electric for float flying compared to glow, don't have all the gear to carry down to the water and if they go swimming there is a lot less work drying them out.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:48 PM
Calvinman

Wow, that sure is some nice flying site you have there! Too bad about the plane, Gotta hate that double vison

Calvi
Old 11-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Gray Beard

I do and it has been with me for a long time. They kept telling me the cataract was too small for the VA to bother removing but they changed there minds, I'm on the waiting list now. Flying in general hasn't been a lot of fun the last couple of years.We are blessed with so many places to fly, land or water. At lake mead they even put in an asphalt area for RC planes and cars. Right now the main dry lake bed we fly at isn't so dry. Flooded in some areas and for the most part mud everyplace else. The rain wasn't like a hard monsoon rain but it was constant from Thursday to Sunday morning. Kind of strange for this area. I had to jumpout of the rubber raft when I got to shore, I was surprised at how warm the water was for this time of year.When guys come to visit and fly I like to show them some of our sites, it would Take a complete day though, just way too many. I know of several more and I still haven't gone to them myself.
Originally Posted by Calvinman
Wow, that sure is some nice flying site you have there! Too bad about the plane, Gotta hate that double vison

Calvi
Old 11-26-2013, 08:33 PM
Calvinman

I hope you get in and get that cateract fixed up soon, I almost lost a plane just from closing one eye when I flew through the sun and closed one eye, when I opened it, it was looking at a defferent place!! Lucky I had altitude and just had to shake my head to realign my eyes LOL. Must be the Zenni glasses, cheap but sometimes not perfect.

It is minus ten in the centigrade up here, no flying for me, maybe one flight just to remind me how horrible it is to fly and not be able to wipe my nose while flying, and my glasses fogging and icing up

Calvi
Old 11-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Gray Beard

I have been on the waiting list sense August second, they are backed up but do an excellent job. I went through all my gear yesterday after cleaning it, everything is working fine but I had an aileron servo just spinning when I plugged it in? When I opened it up the main gear cluster had broken away from the main central post/shaft? Not one gear tooth was broken but the complete train was broken away? Never saw that happen before. Anyway, that could account for the yaw after I did the turn and leveled out. Still my bad, I had about three feet to play with. I was adding elevator but it kept going down and happened quickly. I wear the transition glasses and they darken up very well and remove glare. Not worth anything in the car when driving though. Lots to do today but I'm ready to start repairing the fuse damage. I learned a lot of dos and don't about float flying on this day. It's really fun and I will leave one swoose set up for floats only. I gave it to a friend and he can no longer fly so he gave it back to me. It's set up as an electric and very light weight. Just pop in a battery and toss the plane in the water and go.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:07 AM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Sorry about the plane Gene but it is a good thing it is repairable. I am with you on repairs, not fun. The center picture with the Swoose doing a fly by, that is a picture worth framing. Good luck with the eye surgery. My sister went through that some time ago and it helped her tremendously.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:35 AM
Gray Beard

It will fly again and the other swoose I built is much lighter and should fly every bit as well if not better. When they did my left eye it was like opening a window and seeing the world again, can't wait to get the right eye fixed. Flying should be fun again!! I haven't quit building at all but the last couple of years I haven't flown nearly as much as I used to. Can't wait to get back into the flying part of the hobby.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:26 AM
airbusdrvr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We used to have an old guy in our club that also had eye issues. One day he was flying and yelled back to the pits, "somebody help me. I'm seeing double." One of the guys in the pits responded, "what do you want, another transmitter? "