Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

building info

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

building info

Old 12-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Nick R.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default building info

Hi All, I'm new to this forum(just joined)and also to model airplanes and would like to stick build model airplanes,I have a construction background so the construction is understood, but the placement of batteries, servo's and pushrods,firewalls etc are strange to me. Is there any books or instructions pamphlets explaining tricks and good build practice also who is a good source for tools etc Thanks Nick R.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:50 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I followed you over here Nick. First of all do you want to build a kit or do a scratch build. A kit will give you most of the information you are looking for plus the plans show where every thing goes and has all the parts to do it. If you end up wanting to fly it you should start with a high wing trainer with a .46 nitro engine, they have a wing span of 52" to 60". You can get the tools needed at craft and hobby stores, Hastings and Barns & Noble has books on rc plane building. Thats as far as I can go because I don't know what you really want to do. I say buy a kit and build it, you can ask questions along the way. Start a build log stating, I'm building a (what ever) and need help.

Leroy
Old 12-13-2013, 09:02 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner View Post
I followed you over here Nick. First of all do you want to build a kit or do a scratch build. A kit will give you most of the information you are looking for plus the plans show where every thing goes and has all the parts to do it. If you end up wanting to fly it you should start with a high wing trainer with a .46 nitro engine, they have a wing span of 52" to 60". You can get the tools needed at craft and hobby stores, Hastings and Barns & Noble has books on rc plane building. Thats as far as I can go because I don't know what you really want to do. I say buy a kit and build it, you can ask questions along the way. Start a build log stating, I'm building a (what ever) and need help.

Leroy
I should have stated that the kits are the build parts, you will need covering and the irons to put it on plus servos, fuel tank & fuel lines, engine and radio. The manual that comes with most kits will tell you what else you need to finish the plane. For kits check these out.

www.towerhobby.com www.sigrc.com www.horizonhobby.com
Old 12-14-2013, 04:50 AM
Nick R.

Hi Leroy, Thanks for the reply,guess that is what I need"someone who knows the sport to talk it out with". My ultimate achievement is to end up building a 1/4 scale of the Stinson Reliant SR 7 but to get there I must make mistakes and maybe a few "not so great builds" without motors so I can maybe sell to a club member and recoup some of my investment.
I am retired so the days of gainful employment are gone and being on a fixed income I must be careful of how to approach this sport, as all sport's act like a huge vacuum on your wallet. Lastly my next move will be to Barnes and noble for instructional info so I can buy with knowledge Thanks Nick R.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:39 AM
bikerbc

The idea of building and selling to make a profit will be very difficult to do .. You can purchase ARF's that are beautiful and cheaper than we can build for these days . However you are on the right track leaving the more complicated kits till later and building a simple trainer to start with . Something like an LT40 would be a good choice . If you want to break into this hobby as economically as possible look around for a used trainer but make sure to get a trusted friend from the club to check it over . Sometimes you can purchace complete sets of RC gear from somebody who has decided they don't care for the hobby. Radio Plane etc ready to go .. Reasonably cheap.. Try your local clubs ..Go to Swap meets ..but by all means stick with your plan of building because there is nothing to be compared to the feeling we get when we see something we have spent months building fly for the first time . Building is the best part of the hobby for many of us ..Welcome to the hobby .. First rule is have fun and be safe ..
Old 12-14-2013, 10:45 AM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick R. View Post
Hi Leroy, Thanks for the reply,guess that is what I need"someone who knows the sport to talk it out with". My ultimate achievement is to end up building a 1/4 scale of the Stinson Reliant SR 7 but to get there I must make mistakes and maybe a few "not so great builds" without motors so I can maybe sell to a club member and recoup some of my investment.
I am retired so the days of gainful employment are gone and being on a fixed income I must be careful of how to approach this sport, as all sport's act like a huge vacuum on your wallet. Lastly my next move will be to Barnes and noble for instructional info so I can buy with knowledge Thanks Nick R.
In that case, MR. Nick, check out the recommendations I left you in that other forum, Beginner I believe. There you can find REAL kits and not just a lot of RC ARF GARBAGE. Yes, I do some RC-ARFS but after 70 years of building, designing my own, converting Easy-Builtrubber power stick kits for Scale Pylon Racing, well I do not really need much help.
Here you find very few that have experienced such, if anything, beyond RC ARFs. Don't get me wrong, these fellows are EXCELLENT in what they do. You want to learn stick building, you say. It AIN'T in an ARF! Try that list I left for you. I see far too many SCALE and Aerobatic ARFS come apart in the air to be satisfied with their construction.
Never forget a magazine article raving about the new 2-engine ARF on the market. However they did have the decency to state - at the end - that on the 3rd flight both engine firewalls departed the machine. Yep real structure! If you want some plans, I have many that I will never use. I do not now have my computer redone from AOL to current programming. Send me a private message and I will send you some ideas.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:18 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hossfly View Post
In that case, MR. Nick, check out the recommendations I left you in that other forum, Beginner I believe. There you can find REAL kits and not just a lot of RC ARF GARBAGE. Yes, I do some RC-ARFS but after 70 years of building, designing my own, converting Easy-Builtrubber power stick kits for Scale Pylon Racing, well I do not really need much help.
Here you find very few that have experienced such, if anything, beyond RC ARFs. Don't get me wrong, these fellows are EXCELLENT in what they do. You want to learn stick building, you say. It AIN'T in an ARF! Try that list I left for you. I see far too many SCALE and Aerobatic ARFS come apart in the air to be satisfied with their construction.
Never forget a magazine article raving about the new 2-engine ARF on the market. However they did have the decency to state - at the end - that on the 3rd flight both engine firewalls departed the machine. Yep real structure! If you want some plans, I have many that I will never use. I do not now have my computer redone from AOL to current programming. Send me a private message and I will send you some ideas.
A bit insulting, in my opinion.

I know for a fact that there is at least one excellent builder in this thread, trying to help the OP out. (Le Roy) There are many excellent builders on this site. Most are willing to help others.

While some ARF assemblers confuse what they do, with building, the kit section is still a good place to get advice on building kits.

You may have offered some good advice in another forum, but why is the OP limited to just what you have to say ?

In my opinion, it is best for the OP to seek information from multiple sources, and form an idea of what is best for him.

I agree with LeRoy, that Nick R should start by building kits. They help develop a working knowledge of construction techniques, materials and material sizes.

I also suggest that Nick R should learn how to fly. Not only is it an enjoyable passtime, but it will give him an idea on where to place components should be placed inside airframes.

Bikerbc's suggestion of the Sig LT-40 is a great place to start. It's a great kit, with excellent instructions and plans. I agree with him, that it is difficult to build for others, especially if the builder doesn't fly. To sell to others, a deeper understanding of the complexities involved is required.

Nick R, I hope that you get deeply involved in our hobby. I wish you every success.

Although we may disagree amongst ourselves, our intentions are to provide you with the best, most accurate information possible.

I admire your ambition to build a Stinson SR series. They are beautiful aircraft. Pleae take the time to develop the skills to build this complicated airframe. You will find the road to do so, a satisfying and rewarding experience.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40868.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	1947629  
Old 01-17-2014, 06:41 AM
glowhead

The Sig Senorita was my first stick build aircraft. I have scratch built 5 in different versions. The current one is a v-tail, tail dragging, electric one with ailerons. The one before it was original but a tail dragger. The only planes I scratch build with a nose wheel are pusher jets and canards.