Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Know where to find composite landing gear to fit Dynaflite Super Decathlon?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Know where to find composite landing gear to fit Dynaflite Super Decathlon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 10:43 AM
funnotcrazy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Know where to find composite landing gear to fit Dynaflite Super Decathlon?

I have a kit framed up & the servos, pushrods etc installed. Beefed up the landing gear mount area BUT have been waiting to finish up belly pan formers & stringers for nice fit around landing gear. Have read that aluminum gear supplied with kit is a bit weak for anything but perfect landings. Have done a number of searches but come up empty. Found a place called Carbon Copy in England, but they don't answer my email.
They don't have exact size but one that is a bit wider & taller. I know I may not find EXACT size of the stock one, but would like to get as close as possible. Not much left to do on this build except finish this area around gear mount & start covering.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:43 PM
Bluelt
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a Dynaflight Decathlon that lost it's gear twice. Both times were with a reinforced stock gear. Since I just wanted to fly the heck out of the plane I installed the 120 size teatherite gear from Outlaw hobby products. http://outlawhobbyproducts.com/tethe...ding-gear.html Easy landings on pavement or grass now! Lost some scale points probably but no longer worry about landing.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:12 AM
funnotcrazy

Hey thanks a bunch. Just what the doctor ordered ! I have made some changes on mine so don't mind losing scale looks. More important to have sturdy gear. Would you recommend the next size up or is the 120 size plenty strong for this plane? Any other changes you would make on this plane? Any strange characteristics in the air or landing? Thanks again BlueIt.
Old 01-31-2014, 05:50 PM
Bluelt

The 120 size was fine. I had already replaced the gear plate with a 1/4" ply plate, pinned to the sides and with triangle reinforcement. With a zenoah 26 I get good vertical performance and can snap at the top - looks good! Lands fine, I am still working on CG and engine thrust - I have some up trim to fly level so....... I found mine used for $150 with a Saito 150 (that seized a bearing on first flight)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1125.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	1964196  
Old 01-31-2014, 07:40 PM
funnotcrazy

Looking at your photo - you have part of the old aluminum gear over the composite gear? The n120 size gear says up to 15 lbs. How much does yours weigh?
Old 02-01-2014, 06:42 AM
Bluelt

That is the only photo I have and the old gear(with an aluminum brace that did not work) and Saito are still on. I think I am at 14 lbs. It is "springy" but I have bounced thru the grass with no problem.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:42 PM
funnotcrazy

OK - Thanks for that info. Mine is getting close, will weigh it soon. Was considering next size up, but it weighs more than twice as much. I am a real maniac about weight (build light, flies right) but not so much as to sacrifice structural integrity. Looks like I will be setting it up to convert to floats as I live near a lake. Have not put formers & stringers to make belly pan on fuse bottom until I get my landing gear situated. Do you still have that plane? If you were building it now would you change anything besides the landing gear? I enlarged & rounded rudder to match elevators, and made turtledeck behind firewall removable with three levels. Top one for batts, second one for fuel tank, & bottom one has throttle servo & servo for parachute drop that is built into fuse, does not change look of plane. You don't know it is there until I flip toggle on channel 6. In addition to weak landing gear I read about plane being tailheavy. This puts a bunch of the weight way up front and be able to get at tank easily if needed. Have a Saito 180 mounted up front.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:46 PM
funnotcrazy

Just looked at the pic again. Oddly enough I have the same type of prop on mine now ! What size was the one on that 150?