Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Tell me about florescent monokote

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Tell me about florescent monokote

Old 03-09-2014, 06:45 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tell me about neon monokote

I used neon orange monokote once before and remember there was something bad about it, but now I can't remember what the problem was. Has anyone else used it? What is your opinion? I'm considering using it again and I don't want to repeat the same mistake I made before, whatever that was.

Please don't turn this into a monokote vs ultracoat thread. I use them both. I am happy with the normal monokote colors (yellow, white, etc). It is specifically the neon orange that I am asking about.

Thanks!

Last edited by JPMacG; 03-09-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:31 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

In my 30+ years using Monokote have encountered some colors that did not shrink well or almost not at all. Those generally have been metallic. Have not used any neon colors.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:27 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

The neon or fluorescent colors fade quickly in the sun. They are also a bit harder to work with in a number of ways. Both Ultra and Mono suffer from the fade problem. I used some of these colors quite a few years ago, was frustrated and said never again.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:39 AM
AMA 74894
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yup, I used orange, pink and green neon (what can I say, I like ghastly color combinations ) and they faded badly after only tow seasons, the orange and pink in particular...
that was the only "issue" I had, no issues with application, or with the material itself.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:49 PM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. I did not even leave mine long enough to fade. I remember something going horribly wrong during the application and I gave up and went with normal colors. But knowing that even if the the application is successful the color will fade I will avoid the neon orange.

Last edited by JPMacG; 03-11-2014 at 08:10 PM. Reason: fix a typo
Old 03-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Pylonracr

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use neon orange on every plane I build. I put a strip along both wing leading edges so I can see the plane to land it, that color seems to show up better than anything I have used. It does fade fast, and it seems a little "Thicker" than standard colors. I usually glue it on with trim solvent.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:00 PM
Smashmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea,I agree they are thicker. Although the orange fades very quickly,it still stands out.
I have a wing I covered 2 or 3 years ago with neon green,and it hasn't faded at all. But I am like you.
I remember while doing that wing in green,I swore I would never buy anymore of that crap. But I can't remember why.