Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

nitrate over rattle can auto primer

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

nitrate over rattle can auto primer

Old 03-18-2014, 04:22 PM
YellowBlueBird

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrate over rattle can auto primer

Has anyone tried nitrate dope over rattle can auto primer? If so what were the results. I plan to finish a balsa fuselage with dope and hope to find something better than the available hobby sealers.

Thanks
Jerry
Old 03-19-2014, 02:06 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Nitrate dope is only available in clear. Only the colored dope is available as Butyrate. You can also get clear Butyrate dope. I often use primer OVER the nitrate, but have not done the primer first then nitrate. I use nitrate to attach silk, silkspan or Koverall, then a coat or two to fill the weave with nitrate, and prime over that. I have primed over Butyrate clear & colors, but use butyrate primer. My suggestion is to run a test panel first. Is your fuse allready sprayed with primer? ......Gene
Old 03-19-2014, 06:00 AM
YellowBlueBird

The fuselage is bare balsa waiting for the final sanding with 400 sand paper. The balsa fillers that I have used look like they might flake off. Talcum powder and nitrate dope may be the best choice. It is not my choice to use something untried. The wings will be Koverall and nitrate with butyrate color and clear as the final finish.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:36 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "old" rule of thumb was that Nitrate will go over/stick to almost anything, and you can put almost anything over it.

You can only put Butyrate over butyrate, because it continues to shrink, forever.

Les

p.s. That when nitrate was really nitrate, and butyrate was really butyrate; not just what some marketer said it was.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:34 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Jerry, since your at the stage where you are still bare balsa, i would put down several coats of nitrate, sanding in between, then apply silkspan, or koverall over it with the nitrate. Prime with what ever primer your top coat paint is compatable with & be sure the weave is filled.. Sand, & paint. I am re-finishing an Ugly Stik right now & thats the process i used on it. ( nitrate, koverall, primer, butyrate color) I actually have a build thread going right now with pictures of each step on RC Groups in the painting & finishing tips forum if you would like to see my results. If you dont want to go the dope rout, i have got great results with Deft sanding sealer, koverall applied with water based Minwax polycrilic, rattle can primer, then paint.....Gene
Old 03-19-2014, 10:30 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you don't want to paint dope over rattle can primer the dope works like a stripper and will just make a mess, you can spray the primer over dope if you like but not the other way around I have done several models the way gene6029 described with great results using Deft as a sealer and water based products like Varathane poly as a resin for bonding the light weight fiberglass to the surface.

my latest project a FW190 ready for insignia's was glassed using this method there are other threads covering this method here is mine for this model http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-w...l-fw190a8.html .

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FW190 A8 007.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	1979525   Click image for larger version

Name:	FW190 A8 008.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	1979526  
Old 03-19-2014, 04:07 PM
jkpape

Don't do it, it will attack the primer and make a mess. Been there, done that.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:09 AM
YellowBlueBird

Thanks guys,

These are the answers I was looking for. It is amazing how often a question can be answered by someone that has already been there.

Jerry