Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Balsa USA Brotherhood

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Balsa USA Brotherhood

Old 06-10-2020, 07:58 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (4)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

got the control stick all done up. Looks good enough for me.

Old 06-10-2020, 11:49 PM
skyrydr2

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks nice, is that for an axis plane ? I have only built and looked at photos for the Sopwith Pup so I haven't much experience of what other planes had for controls back then lol. It must have been interesting for sure.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:10 AM
jeffEE

This is a control stick for the Fokker D.VII. But its SOOOO much better than anything I could build, I am putting it in my Albatross D.V I doubt anyone will give me too much grief about it. It is from www.Iflytailies.com He does nice things.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:46 AM
jeffEE

yep. Its going in my 1/3 scale Albatross D.V The stick is really for a Fokker, but it will still look good in there.

The following users liked this post:
mgnostic (06-11-2020)
Old 06-17-2020, 02:16 AM
David Gladwin

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought my 1/3 scale Cub, maybe 15 years ago
Lockdown gave me time to get on with it, airframe finished but silver soldering the landing gear put me off ! Never silver soldered anything larger than couplings to wire. The model is covered and the OS Pegasus 320 is waiting .

Anyway decided to give it go, its finished !

I have only a propane torch, need prolonged heating of large tubes, cleanliness and the right flux.

After all that the gear is complete and EVERYTHING fitted perfectly and every part needed was in the kit. ( well done Balsa USA) .

So silver soldering can be done with a simple propane torch so give it a try guys!

Old 06-17-2020, 03:52 AM
skyrydr2

Very nice, now we need pics for verification
Old 06-19-2020, 02:58 PM
jeffEE

it just keeps on getting bigger! It is sitting on an 8 foot table. The space in the top wing is left empty in the plans, and covered with a nice bit of honeycomb. But I filled in the space with some radiator pipes. And he

has to have a place to sit.
mgnostic (06-20-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 03:11 AM
skyrydr2

Looking good! Tat fuselage is looking pretty complicated in the nose for sure.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:02 PM
jeffEE

Well....it won't win any contests. But for my skills, it's not bad.
Old 07-02-2020, 12:37 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Looks better than what I would do!
Old 07-02-2020, 01:32 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amen to that ! ! ! Would love to find someone who could 3D print one for size I'd like. Have a BUSA Taube 90 and would love to have that "sitting" atop an inverted FG20. It does look great. Was that the BUSA 1\3 scale kit?
Old 07-02-2020, 01:36 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tried to edit, but didn't take Looked farther and saw it was the BUSA kit
Old 07-03-2020, 06:43 AM
mgnostic

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Good Job on the dummy engine! I'm surprised that BUSA doesn't do one in 1/4 scale. The DVII is popular enough is seems like it would sell.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:38 AM
mgnostic

I finally got in a maiden flight on my 1/4 scale Camel. It's been finished for a few months but as we all know, things get in the way. I had first intended to use a converted Homelite such as I have on my 1/4 scale N-17. Unfortunately this engine just didn't seem to be putting out the same amount of power. So I ordered a new G-26. I gave it about 45 minutes of bench running to seat the rings. The manual notes that it isn't required but states that you will see an improvement in power over time. The Zenoah is quite a bit lighter than the Homelite, even in the magneto version. As a result I had to add more nose weight. More on that in a moment. I finally got it out to the field yesterday where I could get it up on the test stand for final adjustments. It's nice to be able to look directly into the carb without getting down on your belly. After a few more carb adjustments and some taxiing it was ready for the first flight. Immediately as the airplane cleared the ground it was clear that it was sluggish and I was having to hold up elevator. Waaay to much nose weight and I knew I needed to get it back on the ground. I brought it around for a landing as quickly as I could. I didn't really have time to feel the airplane out and it wasn't going to easily get up to three mistakes high. I set up for a landing in the grass alongside the paved runway but throttled back too much. Even with full up elevator it would flair and plopped down int the deep grass just short of where I wanted to land and flipped over on its back. Not a good beginning. The club president and i went out and retrieved the plane. Luckily not too much damage. The landing gear was tweaked a bit and it had popped off the fairing from the front gear legs but no structural damage. Back in the pits I pulled off a couple of lead ingots. Yes, ingots. In substituting a lighter engine and looking at that short nose I had convinced myself that it needed to balance farther forward than it really needed to be. The landing gear will need cosmetic repairs but other wise no damage so I refueled and set up for another try. It was a night and day difference. The airplane climbed easily and I didn't have to hold the nose up. It did require a little trimming. Both the Camel and my Nieuport N-17, despite having right thrust, tend to want to turn left a bit. The first flight was spent mostly just circling the pattern and feeling out the controls. This time the landing was about as perfect as I ever get. It is a draggy airplane so it like to keep some throttle all the way through the flair on landing. It is an interesting contrast to the N-17. The N-17 flies kind of like an old school trainer. You can push it through maneuvers but at cruise speed you can circle the field using nothing but elevator and rudder. The Camel on the other hand is more maneuverable. For the third flight I put the cowl on. It had been off for adjusting the carb and then for taking off some of the nose weight. My impression may be exaggerated but putting the cowl on seems like it made a noticeable difference in acceleration and top speed. The G-26 is adequate but you aren't going to win any races. I have a nice Xoar prop with a little more pitch that I am going to try. One nice thing is that I must have gotten the down thrust and incidences just right. It climbs nicely when you pull back on the stick but it doesn't want to zoom climb at full throttle like the Nieuport is prone to doing. On the third flight I started finding out what it could actually do. Even after pulling the weight off of the nose the stall is pretty benign. When holding the nose up there is a little tendency to fall of to the left. I haven't tried a spin yet. The Camel's roll has more authority than the Nieuport. Both airplanes like to use the rudder but it makes a bigger difference on the Nieuport. As it is currently set up the Camel flies on the wing. It is maneuverable for what it is but don't expect a 3-D plane. I enjoyed the build and I expect that I am going to enjoy flying the plane.

Our club photographer has a sense of humor.
flying wires (07-28-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 08:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

Congratulations on the maiden of a great looking airplane!
Old 07-08-2020, 10:57 AM
jeffEE

I'm glad it worked out. Congrats.
Old 07-08-2020, 01:13 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great news Matt. Looks like you have a winner there. Very nice color scheme, I am sure it is easy to see in flight. You are going to love the Zenoah 26, I have one on the Sop. Pup and another one will go on the Fokker Dr 1. I will be happy when this lock down is over.
Stay Safe Brothers
Rich
Old 07-08-2020, 01:17 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jeff, I see you are working on you Alby. I don't know why I didn't get notified about your posts. Keep at it, they are a beautiful airplane.

Stay Safe Brother
Rich
Old 07-08-2020, 02:17 PM
foodstick

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Camel does fly good once setup. I think the BUSA Camel has even more wing area than the Pup? I know that doesn't seem like it would be true. I have been guilty of over (balancing ) my BUSA kits before as well. I had some real close calls on a couple planes. Once you realize the CG can be moved back a bit it helps. The only thing I would say on using the higher pitch props is don't get yourself into a position where the plane starts coming in hot on idle. Long fast rollouts should be limited on the bipes, and AVOIDED on the DR1 Tripe !

have fun..Nice paint scheme...
Old 07-08-2020, 04:23 PM
mgnostic

Originally Posted by foodstick View Post
The Camel does fly good once setup. I think the BUSA Camel has even more wing area than the Pup? I know that doesn't seem like it would be true. I have been guilty of over (balancing ) my BUSA kits before as well. I had some real close calls on a couple planes. Once you realize the CG can be moved back a bit it helps. The only thing I would say on using the higher pitch props is don't get yourself into a position where the plane starts coming in hot on idle. Long fast rollouts should be limited on the bipes, and AVOIDED on the DR1 Tripe !

have fun..Nice paint scheme...
I hear what you are saying about the relationship between pitch and idle. I've flown airplanes where you nearly had to kill the engine in order to land. My N-17 on the other hand seems to like a lot of prop pitch but the old Homelite is not an RPM monster. It's not uncommon for me to end up trying a couple of different props to find the one that flies just right.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:28 PM
mgnostic

Originally Posted by jwrich View Post
Great news Matt. Looks like you have a winner there. Very nice color scheme, I am sure it is easy to see in flight. You are going to love the Zenoah 26, I have one on the Sop. Pup and another one will go on the Fokker Dr 1. I will be happy when this lock down is over.
Stay Safe Brothers
Rich
Thanks. the color scheme is a RNAF trainer. It's not well documented but this won't be a competition airplane anyway. There aren't that many colorful Camels, at least compared to Fokkers. The full scale plane had 8 kills with two pilots before being taken back to England for use as a trainer. Apparently that is where the Cleopatra markings were applied.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:37 PM
jeffEE

I am doing a bit on the Albi each day. The research is slowing me down a bit. It looks like each Albatross was different is some way from the others. Right now I am working at a more scale wire set up. Balsa usa has done most of the hard work, but more scale is a fun thing for me. But each picture I find from WWI (not replica aircraft) looks like the support wires are different an every plane. One drag wire from the cowl to the bottom wing, or two drag wires to the bottom wing. One to each wing from one point on the cowl, or from two. And so on and so on. Field mods and changes from the factory I guess. It would be a lot quicker if I knew the aircraft I was going to model it after. But that depends on how well my stain goes on the body. Good stain job leads to one choice, bad stain job, and it gets paint all over. My daughter thinks it looks like a submarine and therefore it should be yellow. Hmmm......
Old 07-13-2020, 07:55 PM
jeffEE

The stick is hooked up to the elevator and rudder so it moves with them. If you build this kit, invest in a sand paper company. LOTS of wood to sand.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:56 AM
skyrydr2

Jeff, looking good! And your correct in the more you investigate about the plane the more you find different, LOL that's what makes it fun!
on my pup the controls also work with the planes surfaces but they can be turned on or off for practicality.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:38 AM
FlyerInOKC

I remember when I was researching the intrument panel for my Ryan SC. I got into some records and advertising the San Diego Museum put online and discovered the panel was a custom item and was built according to the purchaser of the airplane. No two airplanes had the same panel. This is what I ended up with:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.