Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Sig four star Build question

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Sig four star Build question

Old 06-16-2014, 04:06 PM
tapeandglue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig four star Build question

I'm building a Sig Four Star Forty. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the possible need for wire struts on the tail feathers.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 06-16-2014, 04:43 PM
foodstick

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wouldn't hurt if you keep it light, I usually put tri stock in the joint between the fin and stab.
Old 06-16-2014, 05:37 PM
bikerbc

It depends how you are going to treat it . Adding the wire struts on the tail adds a tremendous amount of strength . You don't really need them if you are careful with it but if you want the extra peace of mind they are well worth your time to put on . My wife helped me load my plane on day and she accidently broke the tail loose but didn't want to tell me in case I would be upset .. I noticed it was loose on my preflight . Now I almost always put tail wires on ..
Old 06-16-2014, 05:49 PM
catracer343

I'd be more inclined to re-enforce the fuselage right at the trailing edge of the wing...I've had 2 break at that former after catching a wing tip in the grass. (Never had a problem with the tail feathers though!)
Old 06-18-2014, 03:58 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lightest and easiest tail brace I've used is lightweight weed eater line. Drill a few holes, run the line through and hold with medium CA glue. It doesn't have to be drum tight, just snug enough to keep the tail from breaking.

Ed
Old 06-18-2014, 07:41 PM
ThunderBoat42
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey you may want to post the question in the sig brotherhood forum too. It's under kit building section. Several have built this plane and the sig owners are participative in the thread.