Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Bowman 28% Ultimate

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Bowman 28% Ultimate

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 12:27 PM
VeeAte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bowman 28% Ultimate

I printed out some plans I found on the internet of an Ultimate biplane.
It was designed and drafted by Darren Bowman from Bowman RC Aircraft.

I cannot find any information on the plan/kit on RCU or anywhere else on the internet.

Has anyone here built one of these?

Want to know what it flew like and how difficult it was to construct.
There was no Instructions included with the plans, but it shows all the material sizes and necessary info to build it.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:05 PM
RC Ed

Originally Posted by VeeAte
I printed out some plans I found on the internet of an Ultimate biplane.
It was designed and drafted by Darren Bowman from Bowman RC Aircraft.

I cannot find any information on the plan/kit on RCU or anywhere else on the internet.

Has anyone here built one of these?

Want to know what it flew like and how difficult it was to construct.
There was no Instructions included with the plans, but it shows all the material sizes and necessary info to build it.
Don't know if you are still interested. Also, sorry for the late reply, as I just joined.
I have the plans and instructions for the 30%, and the plane is partially built.
There was never a kit that I know of, just the plans. The canopy, cowl and wheel pants I believe are available from Fiberglass Specialties.
The instructions are 3-4 pages. If you are still interested, I might be able to get you a copy somehow, or if you have some specific questions, I may be able to answer.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:45 PM
Wookieman

Default in need of build list.

Originally Posted by RC Ed
Don't know if you are still interested. Also, sorry for the late reply, as I just joined.
I have the plans and instructions for the 30%, and the plane is partially built.
There was never a kit that I know of, just the plans. The canopy, cowl and wheel pants I believe are available from Fiberglass Specialties.
The instructions are 3-4 pages. If you are still interested, I might be able to get you a copy somehow, or if you have some specific questions, I may be able to answer.
I have got the plans for this plane can you send me the instructions?
Old 01-15-2021, 07:44 AM
RC Ed

Unfortuately, I sold the plans, instructions and partially built fuselage early last year at auction.
Old 08-26-2021, 08:49 AM
heggen

Default Ultimate buyer

Originally Posted by RC Ed
Unfortuately, I sold the plans, instructions and partially built fuselage early last year at auction.
RC Ed, I believe I am the one who purchased your partially built Ultimate at the auction. It us now finished and it would be fun to communicate with you and show you the end result.
Old 08-26-2021, 02:09 PM
RC Ed

Sure would like to see it. You're not all that far from me. Have you flown it yet?

Ed
Old 08-26-2021, 03:46 PM
heggen

Ed, I am glad you responded.
No, I haven't flown it yet. It had been sitting in storage waiting for a radio, engine and hardware while other projects were being done. I saw a Goldberg 30% Ultimate at the field recently that flew really nice and I said to myself - I have one of those. A couple of days later I pulled it out of storage and went to work on it. I had acquired a used DLE 55, Hitec D645 servos, and necessary hardware and went to work finishing it. The engine had great compression but wouldn't start. I traced the problem down to a plugged up carb which I disassembled and cleaned. Also, I cleaned up the reed cage to cause the reeds to close flat for a good seal. I have run the engine a few times to adjust the needles and find I have a fine running engine. This afternoon while running the engine, the Pitts muffler that came with the used engine broke. An exhaust tube previously had broken off the muffler can and the owner tried to fix it with JB Weld. That was a bad idea from the start so a new muffler was just ordered. At least it lasted long enough to tune the engine. After I get the new muffler, I can do some more running on the ground to be assured everything that is bolted, screwed and glued stays where it is supposed to be. Then I will do the maiden flight probably sometime after Labor Day.
The Ultimate weighs in at about 26 pounds. It is more than I was hoping for but I have read of others flying at 28 - 30 pounds. It was quite tail heavy and 3 pounds of lead had to be bolted to the engine mounts. It now balances within the range on the plans.
You did an excellent job building the fuselage and tail group. I changed nothing from what you had done. It is covered with white Ultracote and the trim is purple and black Rustoleum. Figuring out a unique color scheme took a few drawings before deciding on what you see.
I am excited to fly the Ultimate. I also have the smaller Goldberg that is ready for its maiden. Flying opportunities haven't been that plentiful for me to fly the too many models I have.
Thanks for making the Ultimate available.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:56 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Great job on the Ultimate. Never seen one that flew bad in 30 years. They will fly heavy and will tolerate an aft CG. If it dead sticks point it down RIGHT NOW and find a place to land it. Back in the day when the Goldbergs first came out there were guys flying them with 1.20 four strokes and smoke systems. Probably 2lbs over weight. It was amazing how well they flew under power.

David
Old 08-27-2021, 07:40 PM
heggen

Thanks, Dave, for the kind remarks. It is encouraging to hear it is such a nice flyer.
Old 09-06-2023, 07:55 AM
hannah76

Hi hggen,
Did you ever fly this ultimate? Thoughts on it if so?

Thanks!
Old 09-06-2023, 12:49 PM
heggen

Hannah76,
Yes, I have flown it but only two flights. Both flights went well. I really should sell it to someone who can use it. With the DLE 55 it has good vertical and seemed to do all of the common maneuvers well based on the limited airtime. I wouldn't call it 3D capable. The landing gear that came with the package I bought at auction was too soft. A new and stronger one was ordered from TNT and installed. After that I hadn't had an opportunity to fly it among all of the other models I am trying to keep active. It is easier to take a smaller model and put in a couple of quick flights rather than having to spend the time setting up a big biplane at the field.
I hope to get out to fly it before the snow happens again.
Old 09-06-2023, 03:21 PM
RC Ed

WOW!! Glad to hear you still have it. I may still get a chance to see it fly. I understand the issue with taking it out to fly. Recently had my 1/4 scale BUSA DR-1 out for the first flight. It's a chore. Beautiful sight in the sky, but still a job assembling and dis-assembling.

Ed
Old 09-08-2023, 05:43 AM
hannah76

Originally Posted by heggen
Hannah76,
Yes, I have flown it but only two flights. Both flights went well. I really should sell it to someone who can use it. With the DLE 55 it has good vertical and seemed to do all of the common maneuvers well based on the limited airtime. I wouldn't call it 3D capable. The landing gear that came with the package I bought at auction was too soft. A new and stronger one was ordered from TNT and installed. After that I hadn't had an opportunity to fly it among all of the other models I am trying to keep active. It is easier to take a smaller model and put in a couple of quick flights rather than having to spend the time setting up a big biplane at the field.
I hope to get out to fly it before the snow happens again.
Thanks for the reply! I hear you on the setup process.

It is such a great looking airplane and scheme tho... great job!