Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

"balsa USA citabria pro brotherhood"

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

"balsa USA citabria pro brotherhood"

Old 09-15-2014, 07:29 PM
Daddyo57
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Daddyo's Citabria Pro

Ok as promised, some pics of my Citabria Pro build... I began the build about a month or so ago and despite having been started by another builder I have managed to cobble the airframe together into something I believe will fly just fine,irst pic shows the wing mount lugsThe second pic is framed up before any sanding with the stock plastic cowl.Pic 3 shows another framed up view. Pic 4 are my wing supports right after adding balsa for more scale like appearance. Pic 5 is my Saito 1.80 thumper motor, I will be swinging a Master Airscrew Classic series size 18X6, I also have a 16X8 as well for bench runs. Pics 6,7 and 8 are after about 95% of fuselage sanding completed and with my new Fiberglass Specialties Cowl, I HIGHLY recommend this Cowl over tha stock plastic one there used to be another company, Fiber-Tech or something like that but they are no longer making them. I found I needed to build a cradle for this airplane due to it being so wide!!! it was easy with 1/2" sch 40. I can also use it at the field. I am to the point where I can actually begine covering parts if I want. I may wait until my surfboard sized wing is all sanded though due to dust. One thing I doubt I mentioned, I really do not like single aileron servos especially rigged with bellcranks! I opted for dual aileron servos using the hatch method,all you see is the arm poking through a hatch attached to the wing with servos mounted to them. I "Fizz Canned" the Cabane struts on the ends and painted rather than Monokoted the wing support struts Red, it was warm enough out I could really lay it on really thick to cover irregularities in my wood work. So much yet to do.. sometimes I don't know where to start!!! One thing I do know, it is time to do some serious sanding and shaping of wing. Comments welcome but remember this is a VERY old kit begun by another builder... some parts might look a bit different than the newer kits. Thanks Cliff Keeling
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1840a.JPG
Views:	1410
Size:	939.9 KB
ID:	2032258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1856a.JPG
Views:	1632
Size:	774.5 KB
ID:	2032259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1869a.JPG
Views:	1616
Size:	918.6 KB
ID:	2032260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1879a.JPG
Views:	1295
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	2032261   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1908a.JPG
Views:	1362
Size:	754.6 KB
ID:	2032263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1903a.JPG
Views:	1431
Size:	701.8 KB
ID:	2032264   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1900a.JPG
Views:	1661
Size:	883.7 KB
ID:	2032265  
Attached Images  
Old 09-16-2014, 03:18 AM
rcjunky67

YAY!!! we made it to page two!!! I couldn't find your post at first cliff, but that looks pretty nice. I'm in the process of trading a kit for a saito 150s that I should be getting later this week. my buddy with the cub kit that I was gonna start next has decided to put his on hold till he has the $$$ for all his servos and an engine. So, my citabria just got moved up on my build calender . sweet... that does look like a nice cowl, do you think you'll have to cut it any for the 180?
Old 09-16-2014, 02:37 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Cliff, thanks for the great pics, it's looking real good especially with that cowl. Will probably use a small gasser when it's build time for mine. A RCS140, or maybe a MVVS 120 twin if it'll fit. Got a Saito FA115 but don't want it to be underpowered. Yours ought to be a real hoss with that 180
T-man49 in Al
Mike Brennan
Old 09-16-2014, 04:45 PM
rcjunky67

T-man, I'm gonna pit a saito 150 on mine , Propworm in his first post said he had used a 1.08 on his and that it was great . think he said he used a 15x6 prop. so I think any of your choices should be more than enough.what prop does your 140 run? I'm probably gonna use a 17x6 on my 150, I've gotten pretty good using wood props and coloring them with sharpie marker's to make them look a bit more realistic. what do you guys think about spinners, or are you using prop hub-nut's. I'm probably gonna try both to see which look I like better. I'm not to worried about scaling this thing out
Old 09-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Daddyo57

RCjunky, I was amazed to see the Saito 1.50 and 1.80 run the same RPM and very close on the prop sizes... I think the 17X6 might be a good fit. I bought a 18X6 Classic Master Airscrew. I am hoping the 1.80 pulls her straight up!! No such thing as too much power! I sort of want to scale mine out but I don't want to go crazy on it. I wanted to put a light kit in it but I would need to find it on sale, Hobby People has them on sale sometimes... I bought a Dave Brown 3 inch Aluminum spinner. I fabricated the tail wires and painted them today. The biggest job I have is sanding the wing now, it needs so much sanding and shaping yet. I am anxious to get to the Monokoting and assembling this thing. I thought about getting the Fiberglass Wheelpants but the ABS ones seem decent and should hang together awhile un like the plastic Cowl. You asked if the engine will fit in the Cowl I think? The answer is it might if I mount it inverted but I loath mounting a 4-stroke inverted, just my personal preference... So I imagine it will protrude a bit on the right side but will at least dump the exhaust out the bottom, I either will need to hog out the firewall for part of the muffler or buy one of the cool 90 degree exhaust adapters, I actually have one on a Saito 1.25G but I have heard there are problems with the exhaust threads stripping on this engine so I am leaning toward just hogging out the firewall and use the stock elbow. Now we need more pics!!!
Old 09-17-2014, 08:51 AM
rcjunky67

hey yo, Daddyo. hehe. I've seen were everyone carves the wing tip blocks in a different manner, so , what's your plan of attack? I am learning so much from all you guy's. and on rcuniverse in general. It is simply amazing to have so much info to help you , when you really need it.

and as far as the prop, I'm gonna try a few different ones to see what does what. i have a brand aew 150 that only has been run in on a test stand. with it I'd used a 16x6 apc, and was somewhere around 10k on top. it's not completely broken in yet, so I run it pretty rich. and have only went WOT a few times to check transition and see how the top end sounds. this particular engine is black with chrome valve covers, and it's already destined for my GP waco ymf5-d. but I'm in the process of aquiring another , used but supposed to be in good shape. that's going in my pro if I trade. I'd really like to run as big a wooden prop as I can cause I don't need this thing to climb straight up like it has somewhere to go, just pull real good. I've got other planes to bore holes in the sky with.

Last edited by rcjunky67; 09-17-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Daddyo57

Hey guy, I think I will make the rough airfoil shape on the MASSIVE wing tip blocks on the band saw, then the best way I found is to carve the rough front view shape but I am fresh out of Xacto carving blades! Then to the belt sander but FIRST I think I am going to spend some time on the drill press taking out balsa from the center of the freakin' "Boats" to make them lighter... I have found you can get them pretty much all sanded to shape before gluing them on and then just a bit of final sanding after... Hope I didn't confuse you but basically you use what ya got right? Be careful to not go above 10,000 rpm on the 1.50 as that is basically redline for that engine, remember in flight it unloads and increases some so you will likely be going up one size in pitch or diameter soon.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:59 PM
rcjunky67

that was the break in prop recommended in the manual. and the few times i did open it up was just long enough to get a reading on my tach to see were it was, but it was still set real pretty rich on both needle settings. I'd like to have the top end right around 9-9500, 400 rpm rich, that's why i was planning to run a 17x6 prop. this isn't gonna be a hot rod. but due to my flying style , I still want to be able to turn and burn.

your plan to remove the bulk first seems to be what others have said to. I don't have axcess to a band saw, gotta nice industrial type scroll saw though. So hopefully it will work if I go real slowww. from there I'd planned on using my razor plane to rough it in close, don't have a drill press so I really don't have a plan yet for hollowing the insides of them.

but hanks for the info none the less as I'm looking for anything to cut down on some of the work... less work equals more joy in my world. post some more pics when you can. This 150 should be here on friday so I get to check it out over the weekend. already got fuel and a prop waiting for it. I'll put up some picks with rpm data when I can. take care
Old 09-17-2014, 10:53 PM
Daddyo57

It is kind of funny, every video I have seen of a Citabria Pro, the airplane is flown conservatively... 30 yrs ago when I first saw this airplane I thought it would be comparable to a Decathlon or Citabria Cabin Aerobatic airplane. I am thinking that at very least I can do some impressive vertical climb-outs, stall turns and hopefully at least a nice snap roll... I know my particular Pro will be a toad compared to others due to how it was built and the fact that it is the early version of the kit, I actually have Blue prints for plans here! I heard the later ones are in black... my friend Rick has a nice framed up Pro that is way lighter than the average Pro, he is something of a Magician when it comes to lightening up airframes... Look up other, older Citabria Pro building threads and you guys will see his thread. I am now tackling the sanding and shaping of the massive wing, I am essentially ready to cover all of the other parts including the fuselage after a good final sanding job. Sanding has always been mt least favorite part of building an airplane, you guys feel the same? I try to do it outside when it is cool out and get it done all in one long session. RCJunky, your scroll saw should be more than adequate for the task, I also think the Saito 1.50 should haul it around quite well in my opinion. I was told a 20 oz tank was about right for the Saito 1.80 engine, I made the tank mounting supports today and fuel proofed the "Guppy Belly" and Firewall today, I still need to fuel proof inside the tank area as well. I am looking for a suitable pilot for my airplane, I like using figures from "Futurama" I dont like being too serious with my pilots, I have Bender the Robot in my SIG Astro Hog and he would be the right size for the Pro too. Looking forward to your engine run info. I am supposed to get my Tower shipment on Friday and will have my props then. I almost never use a tachometer but may bust it out for comparative testing to your 1.50 engine. I have a tachometer that should be in a museum!!!! It is an old Ace tach in a big metal box!!!! It isnt even digital, it has a needle!!! If everything goes well, I may be into Monokoting mode tomorrow!!!! Gotta have a clean shop for that! I usually do the fuselage first in case I get tired of covering I can install servos and things to break up the chore. I actually enjoy covering airplanes, especially Red/White ones!!!! I also need to do my Cowl cut outs soon, cant rush that job! I was thinking of maybe using half of the plastic Cowl as a pattern, might work...
Old 09-18-2014, 10:11 AM
rcjunky67

have you weighed anything yet, just to get an idea. and good luck with your dino-tach, haha, a needle. I'm only futzin around . I got mine , a digital, at a swapmeet, through some batteries at it and it worked , somehow. I'm gonna run the 150 that I already have to get some baseline info for checkin out the older one. mines had about a gallon and a half of coolpower 15% , 20%synthetic ran through it. and what suck's is, I've had the dang thing and my gp waco for about 3 yrs now. all I'm needing for that is servos, it only takes eight digital metal gear servos so, $$$ . Come on lottery ticket. so any way the #'s I post first will be with my black 150. the other one should be here some time tomorrow , so I'll be testing it on saturday if all goes well.

I hadn't decided on what size tank to use yet, probably 16oz. and my vote would be 'lela' she has beautiful eye! of course if you had one or could find one, zoidberg might look right at home. what with bein all red and all. at least him and his lab coat would match your color scheme

Last edited by rcjunky67; 09-18-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:15 PM
Daddyo57

Ha, I actually have Zoidberg and professor Farnsworth in my BTE Flyin' King... I had Leela in a U-Can- Do 46 but sold it... I have "Kiff Kroker" in my U-Can-Do 60... I may just take Dr. Zoiberg out the the Flyin' King and just leave the Professor to fly it. I do have an Amy but she isn't big enough... I would LOVE to see your Waco! Such beautiful airplanes... I received my 18X6 prop today from Tower so I can do test runs on the Saito this weekend if I make time that is...16 oz will likely be just fine for the 1.50 unless you like really long flights. i got the wing tips shaped and hogged out most of the insides, I ended up using a series of deep cuts with an Xacto knife and then chipping chunks out with a Dental chisel I acquired. The Balsa on one of them was really soft and easy to shape, I worked a long time getting these shaped and sanded and I am still not done with the wing!!!! I am not really into weighing parts and since this is a sports flyer I wouldn't care much but like I said my buddy Rick really gets serious about lightening parts. I did spring for a set of aircraft instrument decals to spruce up the dashboard. I am getting anxious to begin the finishing job on the airplane now... I I still need to finish the wheel pants too, I just hope I can manage to do a good paintjob on the Cowl and wheel ants, the covering scheme is really pretty basic.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:18 AM
rcjunky67

well,I'd love to see it too... but it waits in it's original box for me to get the servos that it need's. If you look at great planes website , you can see what it look's like there. mine is gonna be one of those slightly scaly version . I have picked op some faux leather and coping and instrument decals and such and paint to paint the dummy engine with and a prop hub nut and a nice wooden prop for it so far . even got some silver stretchy thread for flying wire's . just want to have everything I'm gonna need before I start on it.

I'm just getting back in the swing of things after about 2 years away from the hobby.
Old 09-21-2014, 06:40 PM
Daddyo57

Default Bare Bones Citabria Pro

Hi guys, well i finally think I got her all sanded and ready to cover. Everything fits well and the only thing I need to fabricate really are the interplane struts... obviously dont want to attach them to the wing struts until I cover them. I painted the metal parts and ends of the wood with Lusterkote Red to match the Monokote. I sanded for 2 days on the wing I swear! This airplane is bigger than you think it is when it is put together! I am getting excited about it now. rcjunky did you run the 1.50 this weekend? I was going to run the 1.80 but didnt get around to it. Here are a few Bare Bones pics, I just had to set it up to see how it would look! I like it!

Name:	Pro 1.JPG
Views:	1479
Size:	790.4 KB
ID:	2034047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro 2.JPG
Views:	1685
Size:	736.5 KB
ID:	2034048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro3.JPG
Views:	1381
Size:	873.9 KB
ID:	2034049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro4.JPG
Views:	1356
Size:	656.7 KB
ID:	2034050   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro5.JPG
Views:	1352
Size:	796.3 KB
ID:	2034051  
Old 09-23-2014, 03:05 AM
rcjunky67

hey daddyo, well, I tried for to long to get that 150 to run on sunday. dang rain!!! but couldn't get her fired up. I think the combination of the carb being gunked up and the final realization that my glow igniter was almost dead, were the reasons why. I've cleaned the carb and charge the igniter and will hopefully, weather permitting, get it fired up this evening. I'll let you know how it goes

by the way, that look's killer. i can't wait to get started on mine. to many irons in the fire right now. good luck with the covering, I know the feeling of being at that point. it's great ain't it?

by the way, how are you gonna hide your servo wires form the wing? I've been trying to think of a way, but as of yet , I'm still drawing a blank
Old 09-23-2014, 03:28 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a way to hide the wires. A 4 channel receiver and a battery pack and switch can be used in the wing, and another receiver in the fuse for the rest of the controls works well.
Old 09-25-2014, 06:26 PM
rcjunky67

Originally Posted by Lifer View Post
There is a way to hide the wires. A 4 channel receiver and a battery pack and switch can be used in the wing, and another receiver in the fuse for the rest of the controls works well.
That'd do the trick, and if the receiver in either the fuse or wing loses signal, you should still stand a decent chance to bring it back in one piece. I fly with a Hitec aurora 9 Tx and was planning to use one of my 9 channel optima receivers with this plane. And I've a 6 channel minima receiver that will work in the wing as well. Now , just gotta figure out how to make room for it and a battery.

Thanks for the idea Lifer,
Old 09-25-2014, 06:38 PM
rcjunky67

Well boy's the big saito lives!!! still gotta do some more sorting out with the needles , but I believe she'll do just fine. Cliff, how goes the covering? Have you painted that cowl and wheel pants yet?

We've been having a lot of muggy, rain filled afternoon's here all week, of course, it's nice out while I'm stuck at work, and their only forecasting more on the way. Oh well, it's given me time to chip away at my honey-do list that seem's to be ever present and ever growing. Hopefully I'll get some decent weather and free time to myself this weekend so I can finish prepping the 150 and also get my 90 size ultimate running and in the air for the first time... It's only been assembled and staring at me for about 3 years now. Think it's time to pop that cork, and see what she'll do.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:30 PM
Daddyo57

Hey guys, I really didn't. spend as much time as maybe I should have on the wiring but I kind of figured I would just hide them behind the wing support, I actually have 2 wires since I am running a dual servo setup in the wing... i ran shielded light cable in the wings to splice the servo and servo lead plugs later. I thought I might use red heat shrink to camouflage them a bit... BTW if you do run dual servos, beware of being too close to the cabane struts at the attach point as it is very colse if you use the stock aileron location.Glad to hear your Saito runs good! I have yet to fire mine up but hope to soon. I am covering the model now, using Monokote, it is an easy job so far but I keep thinking I should have used fabric covering for a better scale look. I am just comfortable with Monokote after so many covering jobs... I was going to use a cool tail wheel off an aerobatic model, I have 3 of them, sort of an S bend made of composite and use 2 springs to work them but it would need 2 control horns on the rudder, I ran into interference with the elevator control horn so I scrapped that idea unless I go to a pull pull just for the tail wheel... trouble is I also made the support wires for the elevator rudder and the bottom attach screws shared with the tail wheel bracket... I should be able to make it work with a nice Sullivan tail wheel, my favorite ones to use. My iggest hurdle is to mask then paint the cowl... I also need some 1/8 pinstripe that matches Missile Red Monokote to achieve the stock scheme. I will take more pics soon...
Old 10-02-2014, 08:49 AM
rcjunky67

hey Cliff, hope all is well. I just wanted to let you know that I've done some more work on the 150 and she's running pretty good now. Also wondered how the covering job turned out on your pro.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:09 PM
Daddyo57

Hey guys sorry I haven't been posting much of my progress I am kind of bad at that... i am well along with all of the covering done now and I am in the process of painting the wheel pants and trimming the cowl to fit the Saito 1.80... I did need to buy a 90 degree exhaust elbow and bought a nice Turbo Header as well, the stock muffler and elbow just wont allow the motor to fit in the very short Citabria Pro cowl unless you make a hole in the firewall... I got the windshield on with no mishaps too. This airplane feels like it will be quite heavy... I will weigh it when finished but I am guessing 13-14 lbs... a toad!!!! BUT, I do have a big engine to hopefully overcome the extra weight... Let me know if you guys have any questions, not like I am an expert but I am really familiar with this particular Pro...Sorry about how the pics are but RCU or my Computer are acting funny...

Name:	IMG_2149.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	2040899   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2152.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	2040900   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2153.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	1.70 MB
ID:	2040901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2156.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	1.93 MB
ID:	2040902   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2155.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	2040903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro LH 1.JPG
Views:	1658
Size:	775.2 KB
ID:	2040904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pro cockpit1.JPG
Views:	1183
Size:	676.2 KB
ID:	2040905  
Old 10-19-2014, 11:46 AM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

DaddyO,

She sure is looking good. Great job with the film. Hoping when it's my citabrias' time it looks near as good . . . . .
maybe just a little lighter - ha ha.

Are you thinking it will maiden before years end?

T-man49 in Al
Club Saito 723
Old 10-19-2014, 12:17 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very nice covering job on the model. This is what the Pro was intended to look like. As to the weight of the finished model mine weighted about 15 lbs with the modifications and Stits covering and paint. I used an OS 1.08 and a 15 or 16 by 6/10 zinger prop and it flew very well with plenty of authority. The weight made it fly like it was on rails, solid in the air even on windy days. Very predictable and a consistent performer that served me very well for several years in scale competition. I think once you start to fly it you will grow too really like the way it fly’s.

Dennis

In reality the full size was not so nice. First of all it was a two seater and the windscreens weren’t nice and round like your model but made from right angle aluminum with flat panel windscreen material. The rear windscreen was much smaller than the front. If you look at the picture the front left cabane has a rag wrapped around it at the fuselage to cover the large unfinished hole where it passed through the skin. The close up pictures I had showed white paint slops in just about every picture. Sheet metal form over the top of the fuselage at the cockpit area was really rough. One of the pictures I had showed storing luggage etc. for the trip home then the front cockpit was sealed shut with an aluminum cap screwed down to the inside lip of the front cockpit.

Name:	CitabriaPro.jpg
Views:	1309
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	2041179  
Old 10-19-2014, 01:20 PM
rcjunky67

Originally Posted by Daddyo57 View Post
Hey guys sorry I haven't been posting much of my progress I am kind of bad at that... i am well along with all of the covering done now and I am in the process of painting the wheel pants and trimming the cowl to fit the Saito 1.80... I did need to buy a 90 degree exhaust elbow and bought a nice Turbo Header as well, the stock muffler and elbow just wont allow the motor to fit in the very short Citabria Pro cowl unless you make a hole in the firewall... I got the windshield on with no mishaps too. This airplane feels like it will be quite heavy... I will weigh it when finished but I am guessing 13-14 lbs... a toad!!!! BUT, I do have a big engine to hopefully overcome the extra weight... Let me know if you guys have any questions, not like I am an expert but I am really familiar with this particular Pro...Sorry about how the pics are but RCU or my Computer are acting funny...
MAN!!! that sure turned out nice Cliff. What did you do for your decals for the 'n' numbers? The decal sheet in my kit has both sets of theses number leaning the same way. So that would make the ones on the right side lean towards the tail.
You really did a nice job man, I hope mine turns out that nice as well. And I'm hoping that I won't have to cut the cowl for the 150.

Last edited by rcjunky67; 10-21-2014 at 08:23 AM. Reason: wrong name,whoop's
Old 12-18-2014, 04:41 PM
cmy6
My Feedback: (1)

Hello all from Maine. New poster here. I just picked up an unopened new C-Pro kit today. Good winter project. It will be my 5th build in the last 20 or so years. Pics to come. Nice build thread, thanks to all so far. jay.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:22 PM
Skyhawk940

Loved mine. Built 3 of them. Only change I made was to make the rudder larger. Sometimes it was a handful on takeoffs. Current one is a rebuild and converted to a low wing! Will have to post a photo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.