Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where have all the builders gone

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where have all the builders gone

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 11:19 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

You build like I do watch expenses and keep and eye out for bargains. I prefer glow and 2 cycle glow engines are really economical right now. I'm also willing to take a less than perfect specimen if the price is right and I think I can get some use out of them. I have had sever glow engines given to me by the previous owner who had written them off. Sometimes I can reserect them with a little investment other times they are strictly good for parts only. If I waste a little time and money on one I can't use I usually still come out the head in the long run. It's a hobby so no time table exists to get anything done.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:25 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Cost, AYe Yi Yi! I forgot to lock the tailgate of my truck this morning, and as I head down to lock it, I realized, 3 planes, 2 radios, Field gear, Tool box and Parts box, I got damened near $5000 sitting back there!
Old 07-11-2016, 12:46 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
Cost, AYe Yi Yi! I forgot to lock the tailgate of my truck this morning, and as I head down to lock it, I realized, 3 planes, 2 radios, Field gear, Tool box and Parts box, I got damened near $5000 sitting back there!
Now that could cause some major heartburn!
Old 04-26-2018, 03:54 PM
acdii

uh, what happened? I see the last post from 7-11-2016 but this is the email I got

oneblueyedog has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Where have all the builders gone - in the Kit Building forum of RCU Forums.

This thread is located at:
Where have all the builders gone - Page 53 - RCU Forums

Here is the message that has just been posted:
I'll either buy an ARF, or scratchbuild.

The only kit I really loved was a Yoshioka Flash .45.

I started to scratchbuild an Ugly Stick in May 2015 to fit in my small car at the time.

It is this Ugly Stick Ugly Stick 60. I took the plans, made changes in adobe illustrator for a wing tube system and reduced them to 85% of original size.

Then I built it using Depron core sides, laminate 1/32 balsa sheet capped with 3mm balsa edging (before the sheet laminate).

Wings were built in a great planes jig (rods). Created my own wing tube out of aluminum camp chair leg and socket via this tutorial Fiberglass wing. Used polyester resin.

Made the horizontal and vertical stabilizers angular (not round) in form, the same way as the fuselage sides. Created a removal system for these using one 4-40 hex screw through the tailwheel mount (DuBro) Locks in alignment perfectly.

Covered the fuse ailerons and stabilizers in silkspan (hard to find now) and Polycryl. Covered the wings with silkspan on wood (1/32 balsa) sheeting for strength then ironed on Walmart dress liner polyester. Shrunk then sealed with polycryl.

Primed with autobody spray primer from Walmart. Sanded off most all of it. Wings Prime coated with white latex (too difficult to use and unforgiving for touch ups) for wings. Used Krylon for primer coat for fuselage and stabs. Then white basecoat (latex)

Trimmed with Rustoleum yellow. Kyrlon Fluorescent orange (flat), Krylon dark blue (flat).

Sealed with Minwax Oil based Polyurethane spray (satin, to make the air boundary layer stick ). 5 pounds dry. Fox .45 powered. Aluminum LG, 11.5 x 4 prop.

If I had to do it over, I would not use Polycryl on wing sheeting. It warped some panels and i had to use a lot of vinyl light spackle to true up the D tube. I think that oil based polyurethane as a sealer over the wood would have waterproofed the wing structure, then perimeter coat the edges of the wing framing with Polycryl to give the polyester something to iron to. It's strong stuff once finished.

As I said the latex paint method (Roy *Vaillancourt)* for this project was tedious for this. I had total success with it on a scratch built FW 190.

I'm flight trimming it now and it's pretty precise. Love the two piece wing.

As for ARFs, The precision of the offerings really can't be beat for the money and materials. I just don't like saggy covering and chasing it. They are so light though. One is in my future.

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
RCU Forums
Old 04-26-2018, 03:55 PM
acdii

Confused, last post 7-11-2016

oneblueyedog has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Where have all the builders gone - in the Kit Building forum of RCU Forums.

This thread is located at:
Where have all the builders gone - Page 53 - RCU Forums

Here is the message that has just been posted:
I'll either buy an ARF, or scratchbuild.

The only kit I really loved was a Yoshioka Flash .45.

I started to scratchbuild an Ugly Stick in May 2015 to fit in my small car at the time.

It is this Ugly Stick Ugly Stick 60. I took the plans, made changes in adobe illustrator for a wing tube system and reduced them to 85% of original size.

Then I built it using Depron core sides, laminate 1/32 balsa sheet capped with 3mm balsa edging (before the sheet laminate).

Wings were built in a great planes jig (rods). Created my own wing tube out of aluminum camp chair leg and socket via this tutorial Fiberglass wing. Used polyester resin.

Made the horizontal and vertical stabilizers angular (not round) in form, the same way as the fuselage sides. Created a removal system for these using one 4-40 hex screw through the tailwheel mount (DuBro) Locks in alignment perfectly.

Covered the fuse ailerons and stabilizers in silkspan (hard to find now) and Polycryl. Covered the wings with silkspan on wood (1/32 balsa) sheeting for strength then ironed on Walmart dress liner polyester. Shrunk then sealed with polycryl.

Primed with autobody spray primer from Walmart. Sanded off most all of it. Wings Prime coated with white latex (too difficult to use and unforgiving for touch ups) for wings. Used Krylon for primer coat for fuselage and stabs. Then white basecoat (latex)

Trimmed with Rustoleum yellow. Kyrlon Fluorescent orange (flat), Krylon dark blue (flat).

Sealed with Minwax Oil based Polyurethane spray (satin, to make the air boundary layer stick ). 5 pounds dry. Fox .45 powered. Aluminum LG, 11.5 x 4 prop.

If I had to do it over, I would not use Polycryl on wing sheeting. It warped some panels and i had to use a lot of vinyl light spackle to true up the D tube. I think that oil based polyurethane as a sealer over the wood would have waterproofed the wing structure, then perimeter coat the edges of the wing framing with Polycryl to give the polyester something to iron to. It's strong stuff once finished.

As I said the latex paint method (Roy *Vaillancourt)* for this project was tedious for this. I had total success with it on a scratch built FW 190.

I'm flight trimming it now and it's pretty precise. Love the two piece wing.

As for ARFs, The precision of the offerings really can't be beat for the money and materials. I just don't like saggy covering and chasing it. They are so light though. One is in my future.

There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

All the best,
RCU Forums
Old 04-26-2018, 04:01 PM
Stikum

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

The RCU server was in "suck" mode. Someone just flipped the switch, and it's blowing out a bunch of notifications. It made a real mess in the Classifieds. There was an engine for sale that another member had posted an offer for. I called the seller, as the offer had sat for a couple of days and I was ready to buy at asking price. I made the deal and PayPal'd the money, then two posts accepting the OTHER guy's offer popped up!

Last edited by Stikum; 04-26-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:17 PM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

yeah, seems to be freaking out
Old 04-26-2018, 07:47 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's been awhile since I've been here, seams like the subject got a bit side tracked. I have some serious issues with my hands but I managed to finish my last build a 1/4 scale super cub built from a Balsa 1/4 scale J 3 kit. I never built a plane this past winter but I did have the plans laid out for a 1/4 scale Baby Ace that I was going to build the scratch method, I think I could have built all the parts for it if I took my time, I had purchased some balsa and stringers and about crapped at the price, priced out engine, gear and covering only to find our Solartex is no longer made and a run had been made on what was left out there for colors I could of used but couldn't find any. Man I was really sad at the prices of things and the loss of Solartex, my favorite covering, I usually paint my planes. Anyway these things are further driving us builders out of the business of building and it's going to have serious effects on the supply chain as their closings and by-outs further drive up prices.

The day might come when I build that Baby Ace, I'll have to crash something for an engine and gear or sell a couple. At 77 & bad hands it may be in my best interest to just hang it up, I've had a lot of fun with R/C planes over the years, really enjoyed building them, will miss that for sure.

Leroy

Last edited by Leroy Gardner; 04-26-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:15 PM
BalsaGhost

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 38, and built a kit the last 2 winters. Great Planes .40 Cub last year, and a Sig Kougar this year. The Kougar was a piece of cake. Almost an ARF compared to the Cub kit!

It's obvious building is a dying activity, and will likely settle into a small number who actually get excited about a box of balsa. Thats ok, things change. But for me personally, I love it. Its challenging, extremely rewarding, and a skills builder.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:09 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Sorry to hear you're not well Leroy.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:23 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Don't give in Leroy, keep doing what you love albeit at a much slower pace...It's all about making something out of nothing, something that others admire and would like to have. Maybe, just maybe you,me and others will inspire the younger Bucks to get their minds straight and get them onto the path to building.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:34 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Sorry to hear of your hand problem Leroy, but hang in there buddy and just take it one step at a time.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by VincentJ
Don't give in Leroy, keep doing what you love albeit at a much slower pace...It's all about making something out of nothing, something that others admire and would like to have. Maybe, just maybe you,me and others will inspire the younger Bucks to get their minds straight and get them onto the path to building.
Leroy, I'm with Vince on this one! Remember you don't have to be a speed demon you can be as slow as a dead turtle nailed to a fence post and still have fun!

Mike
Old 04-27-2018, 05:21 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I'm going to agree with them as well, speed is not an mandatory part of building. If you only get one rib or frame installed in a month, that's still more than the people assembling ARFs or Foamies are doing since they aren't building anything, they just think they are
Old 04-27-2018, 02:00 PM
Leroy Gardner

I know you guys are right, I don't get concerned about speed but I do like steady. Right now I have a bug in my body to get rid of, I feel fine actually and have several things to keep me busy. Planes are more of a fill in thing, the building part that is, flying is also a weather related thing around here. Ya have to take things with a grain of salt at times because you can't change them and life goes on no matter, wind, rain and heat will make your day for most of the year then snow gets the rest.

I notice there isn't much going on in the building dept anywhere this time of year, that is, builds I enjoy, things are smoking in the ARF'S, does that say anything, I go there for some laughs, half the guys can't even put them together, poor guys can't even fly them when they do get them together because they don't know what size prop to use. Sad world for some, he,he.

Have a great spring/summer/fall ya-all,
Leroy
Old 04-27-2018, 04:56 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Leroy Gardner

I notice there isn't much going on in the building dept anywhere this time of year, that is, builds I enjoy,
Leroy
Warmer weather is probably a big factor in that. Outside projects around the house, more time at the field, etc. Things tend to slow down in the model railroad hobby during the warmer months for the same reason.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:36 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Leroy, I'm still building!

I've just finished this French trainer, called a Baron 1914, to participate in this year's "Coupe Des Barons" or "Baron's Cup," hence the prominent entry number on the port wing. I plan to build a Reserve Model but with a lighter wing as the Baron has fourteen wing ribs in each wing-half, five spars and two 1/8" (3mm sq) turbulators.

Years ago I built a Keil Kraft Super 60. By chance this model has pretty well the same chord and span as the Baron but with only three spars and a sheeted leading edge and only nine ribs per wing-half. I do not recall the Super 60 as having a particularly weak wing so plan to build a Super 60 wing with Baron tips. I'll make some weight savings in the fuselage too. For the competition you are allowed to build a Baron any way you want provided that the model conforms to the original outline +/- 10%.

Pictures of the Baron, its wing structure and my Super 60 attached. I am also building a new flight box for the event!

PS. I wanted to attach a link to the Coupe Des Barons site but it seems to be down this morning. It contains a video of last year's event which you may find amusing. I'll post it when it's available again.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 04-27-2018 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 07:34 AM
Leroy Gardner

Telemaster that's a beautiful constructed wing, lots of work in that one, you build fun planes it looks like and yes they are fun, something I should have done more of. Scale planes are not in the same class as a fun plane, you almost have to baby them and put so much more in to building them, then there's the handling, I think you know what I'm trying to say.

There are several ways for all of us to enjoy R/C, it has something to offer for everyone, planes are only one of them weather you build it or not so go have fun.

Leroy
Old 04-28-2018, 08:28 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I know what you mean Leroy, even this requires you to concentrate all of the time. Coupe Des Barons site is still down.

Old 04-28-2018, 09:13 AM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Awesome bird in the sky, well done!
Old 05-04-2018, 08:29 PM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still around...
Old 05-05-2018, 07:55 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Telemaster, very nice pictures......thanks for sharing.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:33 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Link to the Coupe Des Barons. Scroll down to "Video Coupe 2017," to see what it's all about. http://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons
Old 05-09-2018, 10:05 PM
born2build

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VincentJ
Awesome bird in the sky, well done!
No doubt. But that narrow main gear scares the hell out of me!
Old 05-09-2018, 10:15 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by born2build
No doubt. But that narrow main gear scares the hell out of me!
I only fly it on calm days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.