Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Where have all the builders gone

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Where have all the builders gone

Old 08-23-2018, 07:25 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 247 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by drube
I actually meant to post the 1/5th scale, 1/4 scale is a bit too big for me Here's the 1/5 scale 1/5 scale
That's it stick the knife in and twist HARD!!!!
Old 08-23-2018, 07:25 PM
drube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Oh crapola! He has it in 1/5th too!
LOL!! I wonder if a cowl is available for it. And what retracts are recomended? Hmmm I just ordered the plans so i'll check it out.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:59 PM
born2build

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not diving too deep. lol I do have a few kits and a plans build under my belt. I have a lot to learn but love it!
It's the world's greatest hobby.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

LOL!! I wonder if a cowl is available for it. And what retracts are recomended? Hmmm I just ordered the plans so i'll check it out.

I expect a full report of course! You may find this link helpful.

http://www.russellw.com/photoalbum/p...tan&qModel=c7W

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 08-24-2018 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 04:51 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

GEEZ!!!
You guys are a couple of teasers. IF I had the time and the cash, I'd probably want to build one too
Old 08-24-2018, 04:55 AM
acdii

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

Right now I am trying to figure out how the elevator for my B-25 wound up in the floor. Thankfully undamaged.
Old 08-24-2018, 05:13 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
Right now I am trying to figure out how the elevator for my B-25 wound up in the floor. Thankfully undamaged.
Talent and good looks?
Old 08-24-2018, 05:19 AM
acdii

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts

mice? I hope not.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
GEEZ!!!
You guys are a couple of teasers. IF I had the time and the cash, I'd probably want to build one too
Thats just it I haven't got the cash I spent it all on what you see in post # 1490. Now I have to get all the unshaped one and bits and pieces for the short kits I have now. The Staggerwing alone won't be cheap when you look at the cost of retracts and struts.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:02 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My friend built several Byrons kit for a wealthy flyer in NE Oklahoma back in the 1980s. I think the last one he built was the 1/4 scale Staggerwing which had a brand new Quadra 35cc engine and it had retracts too. I don't think that the guy ever flew it as I was told that he took it his furniture store and put it on display. It was too pretty to fly is what my friend at the time. I think that my friend who passed in the the late 1990's built close to 500 model airplanes..He told me that this guy took him to the Ida Grove fly in a couple times and he spoke to Mr Byron and he made him real when he refered to the Byrons Pitts special as huge minow bucket! it really was like a huge minow bucket!
those where the days
Michael

Last edited by mkjohnston; 08-24-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:27 PM
drube

I expect a full report of course! You may find this link helpful.

Vintage Aircraft Photo Library Search Results
Wow! Thanks for the link, it will be very helpful one day. When I get the plans i'll post up some pics for ya.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:16 AM
Steve S. Helland
My Feedback: (15)

Default Builder

Good stuff! I should say that I have multiple projects on multiple building tables. To be honest, I'm looking a shoulder wing project to build for my grandson. Plans would be great too, it's just easier to slam a kit together, saves time. This is my latest project...it is a Walt Moucca Models PJ-260
Old 03-18-2021, 08:59 AM
FlyerInOKC

I started a new build:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...nce-post-build
Old 10-23-2022, 02:15 PM
TOYMAKER

There are still some of us out here. Getting harder to get materials like quality wood, MonoKote limited and LusterKote paint is gone. Local hobby shops disappearing so everything has to be searched and ordered. It has actually become cheaper to by ARFs by the time you figure all the materials and hardware involved in a build, especially a scratch build.

Kit Build

Finished

Kit Build

Both Kit built

Scratch built Dirty Birdie

Kit build Giant Aeromaster

Kit built Giant Aeromaster

Kit built from 1975 Sig kit

Finished
Old 10-23-2022, 05:31 PM
Outrider6
My Feedback: (2)

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by TOYMAKER
There are still some of us out here. Getting harder to get materials like quality wood, MonoKote limited and LusterKote paint is gone. Local hobby shops disappearing so everything has to be searched and ordered. It has actually become cheaper to by ARFs by the time you figure all the materials and hardware involved in a build, especially a scratch build.

Yep. I am currently scratch-building a Goldberg Ultimate bipe, and the wood alone cost about $300. Not to mention the landing gear, canopy, cowl, wheel pants and all of the hardware. It will end up being a $1,000 airplane that I wouldn't be able to sell for $400 ready to fly.

Fuelproof paint to match the Ultracote or Monokote that I use is going to be a challenge. At least I have the fuelproof clearcoat figured out.
Old 10-24-2022, 01:53 AM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A laser cut short kit is more expensive for similar type and size models than a complete ARF, so the way I look at it itís not a bad idea today to get an ARF, remove the covering, make some upgrades and maybe scale accuracy corrections, and even get some satisfaction out of the whole process.
Look at it as if you bought a laser cut kit already assembled and got some hardware and plastic or f/g accessories thrown into the box. Certainly makes a lot of economic sense.

I have also experimented lately with lite ply in lieu of hard balsa where itís indicated on the plan and found it very economical and suitable even weight-wise, and Iíve been laminating balsa leftovers for years with no problems at all.
Old 10-24-2022, 07:05 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Wow,
Some nice projects Toymaker! They all appear to be glow or gas powered. What engines are in the Harmony and the Pentathalon Evo?
Iím a builder and a pattern flier, myself. Last year I looked at buying a model from Extreme Flight and decided I could scratch build it; so I put together a list of everything Iíd need and plans and materials would cost more than the EF plane. There are a few kits for 2 meter glow pattern ships out there (mostly from Japan), but I buy them because I love to build, not to save money.
I guess this is progress??
Will
Old 10-29-2022, 01:53 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 129 Likes on 110 Posts

I have three models currently in build:
  1. A DB Sport & Scale "Sky Rider" which is being built as an advanced trainer from a short-kit for my partner who has insisted upon a purple and pink colour scheme!
  2. A "Guidato" vintage model being built off a plan. I've never seen one before either! Perhaps it's an awful flyer.
  3. A Pegasus Models "Mystic."
Pictures below.

DB Sport & Scale "Sky Rider."

First time I've used Hobby King film. I find it more difficult to use than other films hence the wrinkles on the port wingtip.

Guidato under constrution.

It will look something like this when it's finished.

Mystic posed for the camera!

We all do this don't we?

It should look something like this in the end.

Old 10-29-2022, 05:10 AM
RICKSTUBBZ

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thumbs up Nice Skybolt

Toy Maker,
I like that Skybolt...
Old 11-04-2022, 11:42 PM
David John Davis

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Perhaps some of you gentlemen may be interested in this video. It is the last one of a series of videos describing the build of a Great Planes Trainer 60 from downloading the plan to the maiden flight.

Old 11-24-2022, 07:46 AM
Airjockey42

Smile Time and Money

Most of us have out lived the importance of building airplanes.

I have a friend with an attic full of kits - 35 to be exact. He is "planning to build them some day". I doubt he has ever built one as an adult. He also has 32 ARF's and 37 glow engines of all sizes.

He has given me two kits and two engines "on loan". The engines and one kit he may get back, but one kit has entered the great beyond.
He would probably be money way ahead to put them on ebay this year. If her waits much longer the market will dry completely as us old farts join some our kits.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:53 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Airjockey42

I have a friend with an attic full of kits - 35 to be exact. He is "planning to build them some day". I doubt he has ever built one as an adult. He also has 32 ARF's and 37 glow engines of all sizes.

He has given me two kits and two engines "on loan". The engines and one kit he may get back, but one kit has entered the great beyond.
He would probably be money way ahead to put them on ebay this year. If her waits much longer the market will dry completely as us old farts join some our kits.
Does he have a Top Flite Golden Edition Bonanza or Arrow 2 he'll part with?
Old 11-24-2022, 08:23 AM
Airjockey42

Smile

Does he have a Top Flite Golden Edition Bonanza or Arrow 2 he'll part with?
The list I have doesn't show one. I'll ask.

Do you possibly have the instruction book for a Global Quality Kit for an A1 SYRAIDER, kit no 223200?
Old 11-24-2022, 09:29 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 129 Likes on 110 Posts

Not sure what you mean by "the importance of building airplanes" Airjockey but some things are more important than aeromodelling that's for sure. Since August I have lost my stepson who died of an aneurysm aged fifty-nine: my sister who died from pancreatic cancer having battled it for eleven months she was seventy-two; a French friend who was crushed to death when his car fell on top of him while he was changing the exhaust, he was sixty six and my elderly aunt who was nearly ninety.

When something like this happens it makes you wonder when your turn will come around.

I plan to finish the models I have and sell some of my completed models and un-started kits because I'm never going to have the time to build them all and perhaps that dream of that 1/4 scale Fokker Triplane will remain just that, a dream! Shame 'cos I've bought a Laser V twin for it! I won't get much for them because fewer and fewer people are interested in building models out of balsa and plywood. Take my club as an example, out of thirty three members only four are of working age plus a thirteen year-old kid who can out-fly everybody except his dad and he'll probably discover girls before he becomes the French National Champion! Besides, I don't want to saddlle someone else with the responsibility of disposing of all my junk!

Enya 15 and 19 R/C little use, yours for the cost of shipping. Ditto an Enya 35 R/C in box both cylinder heads, silencer etc. This engine has been mounted in a model but I believe never started.

Pictures of my latest model below, a DB Sport & Scale Sky Rider converted to electric power. The covering job isn't perfect, it's my first time using Toughlon, a Chinese film.

I hope to maiden it over the weekend. My partner chose the colours!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 11-24-2022 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-24-2022, 07:40 PM
FlyerInOKC

The list I have doesn't show one. I'll ask.

Do you possibly have the instruction book for a Global Quality Kit for an A1 SYRAIDER, kit no 223200?

I'm afraid not I have never even seen any of their kits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.