Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

I like a tool thread now and then.. whats the nice setup for a hobby band saw?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

I like a tool thread now and then.. whats the nice setup for a hobby band saw?

Old 06-12-2015, 06:24 AM
foodstick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I like a tool thread now and then.. whats the nice setup for a hobby band saw?

I have a very cheap saw I bought from sears.. damaged. Its an older Delta Shopmaster.

While I have got a lot of work out of it ,I do sometimes wish I had a better one. What have you got.. or recommend? I know someone out there knows of a great Bandsaw for the Buck !
Old 06-12-2015, 12:29 PM
Rodney

Regardless of brand, get a 2 wheel bandsaw, not a 3 wheeler, unless you like to buy lots of blades and spend lots of time on wheel alignment. Get as big a one as you can afford, I'd recommend a 10 inch or larger throat. Another trick is that if you use a metal cutting blade for balsa and most wood, it works very well and last longer than a typical wood cutting blade.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:09 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Rodney, I never thought of a metal cutting blade for balsa. Great idea!

I was just out in the garage putting a new blade on my Grizzly 16" bandsaw. Yes, I use this for more than just model building. I cut logs up to slap them on my wood lathe but I also use it for model airplanes. As Rodney said, bigger is better. And I made the mistake of a 3 wheel bandsaw many years ago. Pure trash.

If you want a real bandsaw, look to a 14" (or larger), 2 wheel woodworking bandsaw. 14" is pretty much the standard for a good, versatile machine. You'll find yourself using it for things you never imagined. Today's project is resawing some highly figured walnut into 1/8" slices for a custom folding pocket knife.

Money spent on a good tool lasts a lifetime. Money spent on anything cheaper is wasted when you move up to a better tool.

Dave
Old 06-12-2015, 01:17 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

I used 10" CRAFTSMAN 2 wheel saw for years till the bearings and wheel bushings wore out. I then bought a 14" saw and all I can say is I wish I had it 20 years ago ..
Go the extra and get a 14" saw you wont regret it.
Old 06-13-2015, 03:06 AM
yel914

Years ago, I made the mistake of buying one of those cheap Chinese knock offs of a Delta 14" band saw-pure crap! I fought that beast for years, tinkering, swearing and eventually unplugging it. Turns out that the same saw is sold under about 20 different brand names, all from the same factory. Look for the embossed elephants on the black knobs. I eventually bought a Delta and it's great but there are others out there. As my father said, "Cheap tools are expensive." Hard lessons learned!
Rick
Old 06-13-2015, 04:39 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an old rickety craftsmen, hardly ever use it,, used a scroll saw for model work
Old 06-13-2015, 06:08 AM
Hydro Junkie

I've had a 7" B&D for years. While it worked fine, until the upper wheel started to wear out, it was very limiting on what I could cut or do. A few years back, I bought a Craftsman 14" two wheel with stand and found it to work like a dream right out of the box. For hobby work, you need to install a narrower blade than what it's equipped with in the factory. It comes with a 1/4" wide blade, not good for curved cuts but great for straight work. IF you're doing fine or intricate cutting, get a 16" scroll saw since that's what they're made for

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 06-13-2015 at 06:10 AM.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:50 AM
smithfj

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Regardless of brand, get a 2 wheel bandsaw, not a 3 wheeler, unless you like to buy lots of blades and spend lots of time on wheel alignment. Get as big a one as you can afford, I'd recommend a 10 inch or larger throat. Another trick is that if you use a metal cutting blade for balsa and most wood, it works very well and last longer than a typical wood cutting blade.
I to never thought of the metal blade but if using a wood blade with a kerf makes rough cuts, try taking a whet stone and grind the kerf off using a piece of hardwood as a backer on the opposite side. It works fairly well unless you saw thick hardwood and then it will wander. Works great on balsa and basswood though.
Frank
Old 06-13-2015, 07:02 AM
em14

Here is a good source of reviews of woodworking tools. There are others I just don't know which are free! http://toolreviews.woodmagazine.com/.../saws/bandsaws
Leo
Old 06-13-2015, 11:10 AM
wnewbury

Very happy with my Grizzly 14". Excellent for hobby use and heavier use. Well worth the money.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:52 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

I bought a 14" Grizzley, too. Best money I've spent in a long while.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:23 PM
tomgreen

My wife and son gave me a 9 inch, 2 wheel saw from Harbor Freight. It was easy to set up to get the tracking right, but I am only using it for kit cutting. It's getting the job done.