Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

My first build, some questions on covering please!

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

My first build, some questions on covering please!

Old 01-21-2016, 03:06 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first build, some questions on covering please!

O/K, I'll start off by saying yes, this is a horrifically simple build for almost anyone here. It's a Lazer cut baby step kind of plane, for sure. This is the first attempt at "building" anything short of foamies, and repairing modifying some prebuilt ARFs. My son and I started it, I pretty much took over once his phone came back online and games etc started, but he will help me finish it up. About half way through when I made what I thought were some mistakes I was close to saying screw it, give it away, but I made some corrections and more or less finished. I've got it 90% done while I wait on the electronics and covering to show up. Learned a good deal from a kit, even an easy one. Like follow the directions explicitly, don't jump ahead, and don't glue until they say to do so. Also didn't realize how fragile some of the wood in the kit was. Some time was spent fixing some of the ends of the pieces that came off accidentally as I wanted it to look right, and fit right too.

So onto the covering. The few folks I told about this were great in offering help (perhaps they thought it would be a total cluster), but I wanted to try this on my own to some degree.

I've never covered anything, so this will be my first as well. I got the lite covering that they suggested. Covering the flat parts I don't think will be a problem, but I'm wondering about the ends of the wings where it curves and has different angels. Is the covering going to overlap on the rounded parts? When I cover the wing it is one piece for the top, then one for the bottom? I've since joined the wings as per the instructions. The tail feathers and fuze I think I got.

Thanks for suggestions and advice. It wasn't as bad as I expected. I'm already looking for another one, I'm guessing a larger one (maybe 50-60 inches or so) will be easier to deal with. We'll see.

Oh, the plane was given to me by a friend, he thought I would like something older in style. It's a Little Bogie by Mountain Models.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160117_115311030.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	2142702   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160120_182954838.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	4.68 MB
ID:	2142703  
Old 01-22-2016, 07:28 AM
dryverman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't mention what brand of covering you bought, but most brands have an instruction sheet for first timers. Start with a small piece (such as the BOTTOM of an elevator) and then tackle the larger parts. Cover the bottom of the panel first, then the top. Same with the fuse...bottom, then sides, top last,with at least 1/8" overlap. Wing tips can be tricky, again...bottom wing panel first...then cover the top. Not unlike painting, make sure the piece is free of defects!

Covering is a lot like learning to fly, the more you do it...the better you get...good luck and have fun!
Old 01-22-2016, 07:32 AM
dingo9882

Porcia53,

Its really not that hard to do. I have a couple questions for you. Do you have a heat gun? also, do you have a glove or something that you can use to hold on to the covering? With that said when you cover the ends you will use the heat gun to "stretch" the covering over the curves. You will do this at the last stage of for example the wing root. Also, since your son might be helping you he can hold the wing as you stretch it...LOL. It is done very slowly, don't rush it. You also do not want to leave that heat gun in a single spot for too long. You will surely burn a hole right through the covering. As you heat and stretch the covering you will actually watch the wrinkles and everything disappear. It will take some time...and maybe even a couple mistake...(I have made enough mistakes I cannot even count). Remeber you want to heat and pull around the corners and you will be fine.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:01 PM
AwwNaww

You have gotten first rate advice that I won't try to add to. You have also picked a first rate kit that will fly very well for you. If I recall, Mountain likes "solite" covering and I have found it to be fairly stretchy and easy to work with. All the same, I recommend trying to cover a small piece of balsa as practice and if you have both heat gun and iron try each and see what works best for you. This also helps calibrate the amount of heat needed and gives you confidence for the real covering job.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:30 AM
porcia83
Banned

Hi guys,
Thanks for the comments and advice. The covering material is the "solite" that the manf suggested, I got everything from them. Amazing how much a kit, the covering (two rolls of the transparent stuff), and then their electronics add up. It's the same as some smaller rtf set ups, both foam and built up. But again, I think he thought is that you get the pleasure of building (or in my case some pain too, ha).

I did not even think of a gun, for some reason I thought it had to be done with a hand iron which I have already and have had some limited use in trying out (small patch jobs). My buddy has a gun and will let me use it, he's a long time builder and has been itching to get back into that part of the hobby as well, so I suspect I'll have some help afterall.

Thanks again. I'm looking for another kit, maybe something bigger. I'll post up pics of this one as I go along with the covering.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:05 AM
AwwNaww

You can actually cover wingtips with an iron.....some people prefer to work with heat guns but a glove is sometimes helpful there. I stick to one flavor of film (when not using silkspan or fabric) and I would need to "play" with covering a piece of scrap if I were to change brands. They each have their own preferred temperature and time/tension requirements. I built one of the Mountain kits some time back and it really flies well.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:31 AM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

porcia83, You said you were "looking for another one, I'am guessing a larger one", so my I suggest you look at a kit from Balsa USA called the "Student Trainer". It's a 72" wingspan high wing plane that the entire kit is focused around someone who is new to kit building. They claim it is a course in model building with the bonus of a nice plane when you're done. You may now be an "expert" after building your first model , but you may pick up a thing or two from their instruction course in a kit box. I think the finished plane looks like a great classic style, golden age model airplane that would be a rewarding build. Take a look and see what you think.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:51 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by AwwNaww View Post
You can actually cover wingtips with an iron.....some people prefer to work with heat guns but a glove is sometimes helpful there. I stick to one flavor of film (when not using silkspan or fabric) and I would need to "play" with covering a piece of scrap if I were to change brands. They each have their own preferred temperature and time/tension requirements. I built one of the Mountain kits some time back and it really flies well.
Excellent, thanks! The first roll came in today too!
Old 01-23-2016, 04:53 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by 52larry52 View Post
porcia83, You said you were "looking for another one, I'am guessing a larger one", so my I suggest you look at a kit from Balsa USA called the "Student Trainer". It's a 72" wingspan high wing plane that the entire kit is focused around someone who is new to kit building. They claim it is a course in model building with the bonus of a nice plane when you're done. You may now be an "expert" after building your first model , but you may pick up a thing or two from their instruction course in a kit box. I think the finished plane looks like a great classic style, golden age model airplane that would be a rewarding build. Take a look and see what you think.
Great suggestion, I'll go there now. That's a great company to deal with too. I like all kinds of planes but have taken a liking to some of the older style ones lately, the peculiar or different looking ones too.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:35 AM
br549-2

The little Boogie is a great flyer, I used yellow so-lite on mine. watch out for static build up when removing the backing it would roll up on it's self and when I tried to uncurl it my body temp caused it to stick. good stuff to work with.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:59 AM
porcia83
Banned

Great point, I'll keep an eye out for that. I'm probably going to have someone help me with this, I don't want to waste the material or damage the plane. And..he has a heat gun as well!
Old 01-31-2016, 07:11 AM
porcia83
Banned

Well, so far I have the tail feathers and the wing covered. Horizontal and vertical stabs were pretty easy, although I managed to attach the top and bottom of one panel and it looked horrible, so I cut it out and patched it in. The wings were more difficult than expected, and I ended up having my friend help out. We used the iron as suggested, not a gun.

Next up is the fuze. I painted some parts, just for some contrast. Had to rework the tail end after some parts cracked and twisted it up. It's not perfect, but it will do. Not sure how I'm going to handle the top where the pedestal piece is, I like the look of a single piece of coverage but not sure how that will go, might just notch it.

Name:	IMG_20160120_182954838.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	4.68 MB
ID:	2144476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160129_223516567-1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	2144477  
Old 01-31-2016, 09:30 AM
br549-2

Nice job porcia83. The pylon was a challenge for me as well, but got it covered. if I could do it over I would use a sharpie to color it in.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:31 AM
mgnostic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks good for a first covering job. A hot air gun is handy but I built my first three or four models with an old steam iron that I got from my mom. If you got the wing and tail done, the hard part is over. Just in case anything warped, it is pretty easy to work the warp out by holding the part in the desired position and gently reheating the covering. You can also add color trim to film covering by ironing the desired color on top the base film. Just be careful to to use the same or a lower temperature film on top.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:52 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by br549-2 View Post
Nice job porcia83. The pylon was a challenge for me as well, but got it covered. if I could do it over I would use a sharpie to color it in.
Well, that's not a bad idea.. I actually painted that part white, as I did the "nose" of the plane. The fuselage will be clear blue, I just liked the ideal of the white too. In retrospect, I should have covered the fuze first, then stuck it on. Live and learn. I'm already thinking about the next one, using a clear covering,but paining the wood a bright white, then the edges of pieces other colors. Gotta finish this one first though, and see if it flies!
Old 01-31-2016, 01:53 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mgnostic View Post
That looks good for a first covering job. A hot air gun is handy but I built my first three or four models with an old steam iron that I got from my mom. If you got the wing and tail done, the hard part is over. Just in case anything warped, it is pretty easy to work the warp out by holding the part in the desired position and gently reheating the covering. You can also add color trim to film covering by ironing the desired color on top the base film. Just be careful to to use the same or a lower temperature film on top.
Great advice, thanks!
Old 02-02-2016, 04:39 PM
porcia83
Banned

A little more progress this week, got some of the smaller pieces covered, as well as both sides of the fuselage. Electronics are here, got to get them squared away and installed, then the control lines shaped and installed, then the final piece on the bottom, then cover. I like the blue covering, thought it would be more of a navy blue, it's on the light blue even teal side, but still looks good.

Name:	IMG_20160202_193134240-1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	3.04 MB
ID:	2144941  
Old 02-04-2016, 08:19 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/begi...ation-rcu.html Mike and Ken did a number of how to articles several years ago and stuck them in the header in the beginners forum. Worth taking the time to read.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:36 PM
52larry52
My Feedback: (1)

G.B., Tell me again how "you're not back". I just saw a post from you on the "Quad in the tree" question, then this one, and another one or two a few days ago. Admit it, you had "RCU addiction withdrawal", and you are back.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:07 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Gray Beard View Post
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/begi...ation-rcu.html Mike and Ken did a number of how to articles several years ago and stuck them in the header in the beginners forum. Worth taking the time to read.
Fantastic..thanks so much. Wish I would have read that first.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

We had a snow storm, rain storm and big wind, Bored!!! Really really bored!!All my email was answered and I read everything on my facebook. The WWI book I was reading stunk!! I couldn't let a smart ass answer pass on the quad question!!
I'm leaving now!!