Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Firewall for Great Planes Big Stik 60

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Firewall for Great Planes Big Stik 60

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 11:45 PM
john kan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firewall for Great Planes Big Stik 60

Hi,
Got myself a Great Plane Big Stik 60 after reading all the good things how this plane flies.
After a month long, got all the things built up except the engine.
I will be fitting it with a RCGF 15C petrol engine. Before i do so, i would like to know from experience guys with this setup, if it's necessary to reinforce the firewall due to the vibration from the petrol engine.
If yes, what's the best way to reinforce the firewall.

Thank you

John
Old 02-23-2016, 05:36 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's always good to reinforce a firewall when possible. Sometimes adding triangle stock with epoxy is enough while other times you can drill through into the firewall and add metal pins epoxied in.
Old 02-23-2016, 11:10 AM
BelAirBob

Yep, use as large of triangle stock as possible and miter cut the corners so they fit together really well. I sometimes use party size tooth picks cut in half as the pins to epoxy the sides to the firewall too

bob
Old 02-23-2016, 05:43 PM
john kan

Thanks guys for the reply. Do i need to add another layer of plywood over the firewall or just use the original one & reinforce it. Thanks
Old 02-24-2016, 12:05 PM
warhwk
My Feedback: (3)

I think just reinforcing the existing firewall should be sufficient. Your engine is on the heavy side and the 60 Big Stik usually comes in nose heavy even with a 60 2c. I put together three of them last year for a buddy. The first one had the wing depart the plane on the maiden. The front wing lugs sheared off. Tower replaced it after shipping the center section of the wing to them for inspection. Good on Tower!!

One of the replacement 60 Stick wing lugs were broken in the box. Very poor quality wood. Rather than send it back, I used two 1/4" dowels angled down to anchor the front of the wing. Stick #2 was destroyed in a crash not related to the wing hold down. Stick #3 was a duplicate of #2; very poor quality wood at such an important junction. Please check this thoroughly and consider adding dowels to hold the wing down.

Overall, the quality of the Stik 60 is above average and can take quite a bit of abuse and is a great flying plane. One other note, I converted all of these to tail-draggers, saving a bit of tail weight to balance.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:19 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Originally Posted by john kan
Thanks guys for the reply. Do i need to add another layer of plywood over the firewall or just use the original one & reinforce it. Thanks
No, just add some reinforcement to the existing one.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:29 PM
john kan

I had just noticed, GP had actually reinforced the firewall with triangle blocks from the inside. I will be adding extra epoxy around it.
Is there any other places i need to reinforce from the gas engine"s vibrations.
Thanks guys