Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

What parts of my electronics are blown?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

What parts of my electronics are blown?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 08:19 AM
eli.musgrove9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What parts of my electronics are blown?

I bought a kit from FliteTest. It includes all needed parts. I plugged battery into ESC, and ESC into receiver and tried to connect. My ESC heated up and I decided to unplug. Previously, my brother had plugged the battery directly into the receiver when I wasn't watching and that clearly isn't the intended purpose. What parts should I replace? I am new to the hobby and I sadly feel like giving up!

Thanks for any help!
Old 08-10-2016, 08:51 AM
The Saylors

How did he plug the battery into the receiver? (plugs shouldn't fit together) if he plugged it into the esc backwards then its cooked and he deserves the beating of his life. If for some reason the receiver and battery can plug directly to each other then the receiver is prolly done although i have never seen that happen before due to the different plugs. Welcome to the forum btw, we will be able to help you i'm sure, don't give up! This hobby can be heart breaking on occasion but other times its the best.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:09 AM
eli.musgrove9

Originally Posted by The Saylors
How did he plug the battery into the receiver? (plugs shouldn't fit together) if he plugged it into the esc backwards then its cooked and he deserves the beating of his life. If for some reason the receiver and battery can plug directly to each other then the receiver is prolly done although i have never seen that happen before due to the different plugs. Welcome to the forum btw, we will be able to help you i'm sure, don't give up! This hobby can be heart breaking on occasion but other times its the best.
Thanks! Looks like I will be needing a new receiver. Lots to learn when first getting into the hobby and it can be overwhelming.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:26 AM
The Saylors

It really can be overwhelming but if you are a little patient and learn from past mistakes then you will be golden after a few months. The electronics are really intimidating especially if you aren't an electrician or something like that. I know the prospect of fire is terrifying but eventually you will see either one of your cars (hopefully not of course) or someone else's catch fire and see that its really not that bad. One time my cousin's slash decided to cremate itself, it was one of those "oh its not that bad, a little bit of smoke and a flame comparable to a single sheet of burning paper." If fire ever happens to you then try to rip the battery out and get it away from you, if that isn't possible then pour a cup or two of dirt on it and let stand. I have never had a fire since i pay attention and carry an IR thermometer with me and check temps all the time as temp spikes are signs of a malfunction. Lesson is to take your time until you know the car inside and out and even then use sensible caution! Sorry kinda wrote you a book lol
Old 08-10-2016, 02:23 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I would think that the ESC is gone since it is heating up. Just powering up a receiver, even if it was plugged in backwards, shouldn't heat up an ESC.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:45 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

RXer's can take a lot of voltage, more than the servos generally. ESC's are notoriously sensitive to failure, especial if the polarity was reversed. That toasts them instantly, usually.
Follow your nose. THe item that smell funny would most likely be it. THat magic smoke has a smell like no other, it smells like money! lol