Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

How come there is so much play in the Top Flite retracts?

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

How come there is so much play in the Top Flite retracts?

Old 09-05-2016, 01:06 PM
gregoryshock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How come there is so much play in the Top Flite retracts?

There is a lot of play, side to side on my Top Flite retracts. Is there anything that can be done about it? They are band new and the plane hasn't even been flown yet.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...EARCH=TOPQ7950

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHu8P9JxrUI
Old 09-05-2016, 01:37 PM
kochj

The movement is caused by 2 things:
1. metal legs flexing
2 play in the gear itself.

I don't own the plane and have not seen it I am person so it's difficult for me to say exactly what is happening. I'll do the best I can to help you though . I think really is what you would like to know is that normal for the plane and I think it is.

If you're flying out of pavement you probably won't have any issues. But it looks like you were flying off grass tarmac specially if it's bumpy I'm guessing it be quite difficult even if you had really good retracts when you're dealing with the plane in that size flying off grass.

If you notice on the other planes that they came out after the P 51 they don't include retracts (top flite 60 arf's). If they put really nice retracts in the planes, It would be considerable more money .

You will find that even if you purchase aftermarket retracts that uses wire struts , you are going to have some movement and play.

Without looking at the actual internals of how you have the retract servo mounted, and the rods that are actuating those retracts I wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what's happening there. You might check into a pair of retracts from some different manufacturers for the plane and see if you could get some struts over the wires. That may Stiffn the wires up.

I'm guessing those retract wires are made in China and unfortunately a lot of the metal that comes from there would be untreated and probably have a lot of additives in it that would cause it to flex. Purchasing different wires from a reputable manufacturer may take out a lot of the slop/bending right away.

Last edited by kochj; 09-05-2016 at 01:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:47 PM
gregoryshock

Originally Posted by kochj View Post
The movement is caused by 2 things:
1. metal legs flexing
2 play in the gear itself.

I don't on the plane and have not seen it I am person so it's difficult for me to say exactly what is happening. I think really is what you would like to know is that normal for the plane and I think it is.

If you're flying out of pavement you probably won't have any issues. But it looks like you were flying off grass tarmac specially if it's bumpy I'm guessing it be quite difficult even if you had really good retracts when you're dealing with the plane in that size flying off grass.

If you notice on the other planes that they came out after the P 51 they don't include retracts at all and it is because of that reason to keep the price point of the plane they can put really nice retraction there without raising the price up . It would be double the price.
I know my video isn't the best quality, but I can assure you that the metal legs aren't flexing that much. Worst flexing is in the gear it's self.

If you watch the videos included in this review you will notice that the pilot is taking off from a grass runway.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1025

Link to the videos:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a..._id=1025#video

Last edited by gregoryshock; 09-05-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:59 PM
gregoryshock

@kochj

Today I found this Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRjjbEY3Q34 I got no idea what name band they are. But apparently some are adjustable and it doesn't look like the topflite ones are.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:01 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the Top Flite T-6 ARF and had the same issue. I did ask Top Flite about it and all they did was send me another set of the same retracts that had the same issue. They even would collapse on landing. I asked Top Flite why they produce such a nice looking and flying airplane and cheap out on the landing gear. I never did get an answer to that question. I still have the plane and some day I will try and put a set of Robarts in it. I looked at the gear and from what I can tell the slop is just caused by bad machining on the retracts and there is no way to fix it. Good Luck, Dave
Old 09-10-2016, 12:48 PM
gregoryshock

Originally Posted by DavidAgar View Post
I bought the Top Flite T-6 ARF and had the same issue. I did ask Top Flite about it and all they did was send me another set of the same retracts that had the same issue. They even would collapse on landing. I asked Top Flite why they produce such a nice looking and flying airplane and cheap out on the landing gear. I never did get an answer to that question. I still have the plane and some day I will try and put a set of Robarts in it. I looked at the gear and from what I can tell the slop is just caused by bad machining on the retracts and there is no way to fix it. Good Luck, Dave

Hey DavidAgar,

Thank you for the report. Did you have about a 3/4 inch wobble in yours?

I don't have a solution either. But Dad and I are in the process of trying something... It's success depends on if the JB Weld will hold up or not. What we did is make a new stop out of aluminium. He tried to solder it fast to the push rod "thingy" that pushes and pulls it in and out. Also He sanded the back side of the swivel "thingy" until the tolerance was right for holding them up. We did not figure out a way of soldering it, but was able to get it to hold with JB Weld. There is some threads on the rod that kinda helps the JB Weld grip on it. It's risky but I'm a Janitor. I don't make a bunch of money to keep poring into an Airplane just because a manufacture refuses do make something right. If I ever do put some Robarts on the plane it will need to be a "down the road" project when I have a little more time and money for it.

Last edited by gregoryshock; 09-10-2016 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:39 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't remember them having that much slop in them, but they do chatter when the plane is taxied and it is hit or miss if they will stay down on landing. Please let us know if your attempted fix does the job. Thanks Dave
Old 09-11-2016, 12:45 PM
gregoryshock

Originally Posted by DavidAgar View Post
I don't remember them having that much slop in them, but they do chatter when the plane is taxied and it is hit or miss if they will stay down on landing. Please let us know if your attempted fix does the job. Thanks Dave
My work on this P-51D 60 is done for the year. The plane tracked straight but when I took off I didn't think fast enough. The airplane ended up in the ground and now things need to be fixed. It will be a winter project.

It's no surprise I'm out of practice. And I never flew a war bird.

Last edited by gregoryshock; 09-11-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:06 AM
raptureboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Throw them away and get a good set of mechanicals from Robart. Most retracts have an adjustment screw that allows you to set the locking pin so it locks securely. Even a set from Hobbico would be better than those crappy ones from TF. If you can afford it get some air retracts. Warbirds need a lot of right rudder on takeoff and using the ailerons right after take off will result in a crash most times. You need to counteract the torque of the engine. This is often call the P factor and using the rudder is the most effective way to counteract it. Better luck on your next flights.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:46 PM
spaceworm

Originally Posted by raptureboy View Post
Throw them away and get a good set of mechanicals from Robart....
Are any of the HK electric retracts better than the TF ones? Maybe an option without breaking the bank (for me) to buy Robarts.

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2016, 06:55 AM
gregoryshock

Originally Posted by raptureboy View Post
Throw them away and get a good set of mechanicals from Robart. Most retracts have an adjustment screw that allows you to set the locking pin so it locks securely. Even a set from Hobbico would be better than those crappy ones from TF. If you can afford it get some air retracts. Warbirds need a lot of right rudder on takeoff and using the ailerons right after take off will result in a crash most times. You need to counteract the torque of the engine. This is often call the P factor and using the rudder is the most effective way to counteract it. Better luck on your next flights.

Are these the one's your talking about?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDNXN&P=7

Originally Posted by spaceworm View Post
Are any of the HK electric retracts better than the TF ones? Maybe an option without breaking the bank (for me) to buy Robarts.

Thanks.
I can't answer your question BUT: I created a thread on the rcgroups forums. Two guys gave me testimonies in favor of HobbyKing.

Those testimonies are located close to the bottom of my thread. Here is a link to my thread/discussion: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2734076

Last edited by gregoryshock; 09-13-2016 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:23 AM
spaceworm

[QUOTE...
I can't answer your question BUT: I created a thread on the rcgroups forums. Two guys gave me testimonies in favor of HobbyKing.

Those testimonies are located close to the bottom of my thread. Here is a link to my thread/discussion: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2734076[/QUOTE]

Would these be ok for my TF AT-6?

Thanks.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:36 AM
gregoryshock

Originally Posted by spaceworm View Post
[QUOTE...

Those testimonies are located close to the bottom of my thread. Here is a link to my thread/discussion: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2734076

Would these be ok for my TF AT-6?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Someone here might have an answer for you. Personally I don't know. If I were you I would join rcgroups (if your not already a member) and try asking one of the guys in my thread. Good Luck!