Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIG Rascal 168 Build and Kit review

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIG Rascal 168 Build and Kit review

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 11:20 PM
wheels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Unless you have something constructive regarding the Rascal 168, like building tips, engines, covering, etc. Please stop poisoning my thread. So far all you have done is pissed people off and rubbed them the wrong way.
I tried to steer things back on topic several posts ago... if you don't recall just scroll up a little. Unfortunately unhappy sig customers are projecting their feelings of having been wronged on me because I had the nerve to notice that one particular plane was set-up and flown way outside it's design parameters when it failed. My constructive tip is don't repeat those mistakes and then blame someone else... you're welcome.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:04 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Okay, time for everyone to take a chill before the admins lock this thread down.

That said, Acdii, I'm waiting to find out if struts make a difference with this plane. Are you going to fly it and let us know how things go or just hang it from the ceiling?
I am pretty sure the struts I made will suffice, but waiting on what SIG has to say. I have had too many other things creep up on me, so all my flying has been put on a back burner for now, and pretty bummed out on what is going on with the 168 that I lost interest.
Old 07-28-2017, 05:42 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Trust me, I know that feeling.
Had a guy from another state that I was trying to help with a boat build that I discovered was playing "He said/She said" with guys in his area, asking them for their thoughts on what I was telling him. When I refused to help him again, he took archived copies of our chatroom conversation, edited them just enough to change the gist of what I had said to mean the exact opposite and then sent them as email attachments to members of my club. Next thing I knew, I was being attacked by club members for spreading false information on the internet. The results of that fiasco are that I went from being a "gung ho" racer to someone that just doesn't really care and attend just enough races to keep my boat's registration active. Out of an 11 race season, I've missed the first 7, will try to make the next three as I know I won't make the last due to other commitments. My interest has fallen so far that my boat hasn't even been wet yet this season.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:34 AM
Captcrunch44

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hydro
i am with you on that. Two things one tryed to open my own hobby shop and the other was a miss Communication at the club field. Ever since then I haven't flown much and have been trying to get back into the swing of things again. The rascal issue is really trying my patience. I really do like to fly
And the best time of the year for me is when i get to go to SIG fly in. So we need to keep are chin up and ignore what people say and do our own thing.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:17 PM
Hydro Junkie

I totally agree, though it took someone else wanting to give up to show me why selling off and quitting was the wrong thing to do. Thank heavens I didn't start selling before that happened as I'd have nothing left to play with. Anyway, I've now got several boats and planes under construction, when work, the wife and other commitments don't get in the way. I'm looking at a lot more racing next year since I won't be out of town as much as this year
Old 07-28-2017, 12:32 PM
acdii

Well, I'm not giving up and selling anything, that would be like pissing money away, but just stepping back for a bit and focus on other things that have been on the back burner(if it would EVER stop F'n RaInInG!!!!!) that need to get done. I have had my truck 7 months and have yet to clean, correct and protect the paint on it, or hook up the interior lights in the topper, or get the old topper cleaned and listed for sale.

I dug this hole with my backhoe 3 months ago, to fix the water line to the barn. I have yet been able to get in there to do so due to all the rain. I need to get the backhoe off so I can fix my driveway, but again, due to all the rain, have not been able to do that either since it is half mud. Because the backhoe is on the tractor, I have not been able to cut the back pastures, and now the grass is so thick and tall I need a rough cut mower, and those are $1200 or more. This past week has been spent cleaning water out of my work shop from all the rain seeping up under the floor.

I did however swap the troublesome OS 52 with a Satio FG-11 on my LT-40, and will get that out maybe Sunday and burn some gas.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4249[1].JPG
Views:	116
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	2226000  
Old 07-28-2017, 01:09 PM
wheels

Originally Posted by acdii
Well, I'm not giving up and selling anything, that would be like pissing money away, but just stepping back for a bit and focus on other things that have been on the back burner(if it would EVER stop F'n RaInInG!!!!!) that need to get done. I have had my truck 7 months and have yet to clean, correct and protect the paint on it, or hook up the interior lights in the topper, or get the old topper cleaned and listed for sale.

I dug this hole with my backhoe 3 months ago, to fix the water line to the barn. I have yet been able to get in there to do so due to all the rain. I need to get the backhoe off so I can fix my driveway, but again, due to all the rain, have not been able to do that either since it is half mud. Because the backhoe is on the tractor, I have not been able to cut the back pastures, and now the grass is so thick and tall I need a rough cut mower, and those are $1200 or more. This past week has been spent cleaning water out of my work shop from all the rain seeping up under the floor.

I did however swap the troublesome OS 52 with a Satio FG-11 on my LT-40, and will get that out maybe Sunday and burn some gas.
Unless you have something constructive regarding the Rascal 168, like building tips, engines, covering, etc. Please stop poisoning this thread.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:02 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by wheels
Unless you have something constructive regarding the Rascal 168, like building tips, engines, covering, etc. Please stop poisoning this thread.
It's his thread to do as he pleases!
Old 07-30-2017, 05:27 PM
Captcrunch44

Yeah and he has forgot more about this hobby then some people will ever know.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:08 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by Captcrunch44
Yeah and he has forgot more about this hobby then some people will ever know.
Now you're not saying I'm a "know nothing" are you?
Old 07-30-2017, 06:49 PM
Captcrunch44

Now you're not saying I'm a "know nothing" are you?
Nope
You are definitely one of the cool cats.
Old 07-30-2017, 06:51 PM
Captcrunch44

Nope
hec I even go to acdii for advice.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:15 PM
Hydro Junkie

Nope
Meow
Old 07-31-2017, 04:25 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts
Talking

Meow
Watch out for the dog!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	demotivation.us_Here-kitty-kitty-kitty...-_143694449075.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	2226400  
Old 07-31-2017, 07:58 PM
Hydro Junkie

NOW THAT'S JUST PLAIN NOT RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If I didn't think that was in fun, I might be offended
Old 08-01-2017, 09:49 AM
Captcrunch44

ATTENTION RASCAL 168 OWNERS
The upgrade struts are being manufactured as this is being written and should be going out shortly. I got a look at them yesterday and they are very substantial. The main member is 6061 aluminum stiffened on both sides with basswood. The aluminum carries the tension loads while the basswood maintain alignment under compression loads. There is a front and rear strut that attach where the outer panels bolt on and replace the plywood tab that holds the outer panels on. These attach to the fuselage next to each other like on a Piper Cub.
Bob Nelson
Old 08-01-2017, 09:51 AM
Captcrunch44

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Watch out for the dog!
I was out of the country for a week. At least it felt that way I didn't have much for signal. So i just got that. That's funny I don't care who you are.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:43 PM
acdii

So they designed struts. Mine should suffice then since they should be stronger than wood sandwiched basswood, at least I wood hope so. (yes that IS intended as a pun, cause, you know, I'm a punny guy) Since my flying schedule is like non existent, I have yet to swap the RX and move its location in mine.

I did put my Saito FG-11 gas engine on my LT-40 and got it all setup, so that should hopefully improve it's performance since its larger than the OS 52, runs better, and spins a larger prop at the same RPM. Maybe now I can actually hang it off the prop for more than a few seconds. I figure with 10 ounce tank I should get 40+ minutes per tank. I now have 3 4 stroke gas engines that run on 20:1 and 4 2 stroke that run on 32:1-50:1. I just realized I have 7 gas engines, so why do I use so much glow fuel?
Old 08-02-2017, 10:46 AM
Horsepoweraviation
My Feedback: (50)

ATTENTION RASCAL 168 OWNERS
The upgrade struts are being manufactured as this is being written and should be going out shortly. I got a look at them yesterday and they are very substantial. The main member is 6061 aluminum stiffened on both sides with basswood. The aluminum carries the tension loads while the basswood maintain alignment under compression loads. There is a front and rear strut that attach where the outer panels bolt on and replace the plywood tab that holds the outer panels on. These attach to the fuselage next to each other like on a Piper Cub.
Bob Nelson
Is there any way you can strengthen this wing to be strong enough without wing struts?
Main reason I purchased this plane is to just have convenient plug in wings..
HPA
Old 08-02-2017, 10:58 AM
acdii

Make a carbon fiber spar out of 1/2" CF stock, if you can find a 6' long piece wide enough. It appears that the wing breaks at the first rib, which looked weak to me when I built mine, so I added triangle stock. Another way would be to sandwich aluminum between the spar pieces, maybe 1/4" thick, or two 1/8" thick pieces that go from wing to wing out about to the 4th rib.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:27 PM
Hydro Junkie

You might want to take it further yet, replace the ALL of the wood spars with CF throughout the wing. You might want to double up all the lengthwise structure pieces with CF as well. Another option would be CF for the spars and lite ply for the rest of the lengthwise pieces. Either way, the strength of the wing would be greatly improved. The plane is already tail heavy so a little added weight in the wing structure isn't going to be an issue, at least the way I see it anyway

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 08-02-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:28 PM
Captcrunch44

With my experience on this matter. Struts is going to be the way to fly this plane. Sorry i also like how it looks with out struts. With the way the struts are being made they should be easy to put on and beside while you are installing the struts you can get out of the sun just ask acdii
Old 08-02-2017, 05:19 PM
Steelie
My Feedback: (18)

Originally Posted by Horsepoweraviation
Is there any way you can strengthen this wing to be strong enough without wing struts?
Main reason I purchased this plane is to just have convenient plug in wings..
HPA
The wing section would have to be thicker. This is a 14' span, LOTS of lift-load near the center section.
The only way(s) to solve the current issue is to add struts, eliminate required excessive nose ballast, or add wire support like an Aeronca C-3 with the wing as is.
If you want to have plug-in wings as they are now, with nothing added, the wing section has to be a greater % thicker/ taller.... Maybe about twice.

Last edited by Steelie; 08-03-2017 at 02:13 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:06 AM
Horsepoweraviation
My Feedback: (50)

Did any one get the struts yet?
HPA
Old 08-14-2017, 11:28 AM
mogman

Nothing yet.

Dave.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.