Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

A slightly different BTE venture

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

A slightly different BTE venture

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2017, 05:55 AM
SALMONBUG
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A slightly different BTE venture

Click image for larger version

Name:	y9js8pa6qrm2rvu8dk9h7a.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	2249240

This venture is the work of a teen building his first kit in my workshop, Bruce told me it was the first time he carved vortex type wingtips for a venture when I ordered them.
This venture is also fit with a nearly invisible dual servo aileron setup ( cool when you plan to make transparent covering job).

More pictures to come
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	y9js8pa6qrm2rvu8dk9h7a.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	2249239  

Last edited by SALMONBUG; 12-30-2017 at 06:17 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:37 AM
SALMONBUG

My motivation to open my workshop is to share 35 years of kit building experience with new generation. The kit building and scratch building science is unfortunately slowly disapearing, here is a part of a email I send to Bruce Tharpe about this particular venture ( I Know Bruce for a very long time and builded nearly all of his design)

Pic show the venture in the bones ready for sanding and covering.
The structure is not « fine » it’s "perfect job » .
I asked myself how two 15 years old teens making there first building attempt managed to turn out a venture kit in a craftsmanship masterpiece.
The answer is mainly due to the quality of your kit, but not only.
Each step of the building, every single gluing has been carefully prepared by intensive brainstorming and use of slow curing time traditional glues that allowed to carefully position parts.
For each gluing, glue has been applied with toothpick, to be sure to put enough glue everywhere , but not to much.
Exotic products like waterproof titebond has been used to glue wet balsa ( most forward wing sheeting and fuselage front top sheeting)
Every time they asked me a « how to « I tried to share a method that does not only « do the job », but the best I could find (either if it take a lot of time)
None of the shortcuts I use sometime to save time have been used.
each sanding has been carefully prepared and slowly performed.
The fact they worked without the book, forced them to ask the good questions
Pierre’s idea for the nearly invisible dual aileron setup required time and careful craftsmanship (with my approvement).
Because Amandine said that the tri stock supposed to increase the gluing surface of the stab will give a ugly look we discussed and decided to place them inside the fuse. one for the top of the stab trim to clear the fin and the opposite on the bottom of the stab (clever isn’t it ?).
If I had builded the venture for myself it would certainly not have ended up so nice. Experience make I work a bit like a robot and that I take too many shortcuts that simply « do the job »
That venture is a lesson for me…..

Last edited by SALMONBUG; 12-30-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:55 AM
SALMONBUG

here is how it ended up. The teens managed to make a nice copy of Bruce Tharpe's personal venture color scheme. because the original kit decals are not available anymore BTE kindly helped them by shipping a custom made light blue vinyl set that they used to make marking outlines. The inside parts are made from common automotive vinyls

Name:  1517942970-img-0098.png
Views: 230
Size:  34.8 KB
Name:  1517943007-img-0106.png
Views: 233
Size:  36.3 KB
Name:  1517943023-img-0094.png
Views: 229
Size:  18.4 KB
Name:  1517943039-img-0105.png
Views: 232
Size:  36.8 KB
Name:  1517943057-img-0096-1.png
Views: 228
Size:  36.7 KB
Name:  1517943073-img-0108.png
Views: 234
Size:  31.5 KB

Last edited by SALMONBUG; 02-06-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:52 PM
RDJeff
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice work! you should be proud of your young builders, they have surely learned a lot of valuable skills building this plane. Who gets to fly it?
Old 02-07-2018, 12:00 AM
SALMONBUG

A 15 years old teen ( the plane builder) will fly it.
Some months ago I was driving my car when I saw a rc plane flying around a farm near my house. I stopped to watch and I liked what I was seeing. I saw somebody practicing again again the same basic aerobatic manoeuvre trying to reach a good level and not trying to impress or fly fast ands low. I said in myself, " This one is on the right track"" .unfortunatly , during a common manoeuvre not stressing the plane structure, the wing brokened in flight . I went closer to see the remains and I met the pilot. A very young boy. I won't tell the brand of the plane he was flying just to not make negative comments about a manufacturer , I just say this was a very popular ARF second airplane.
The boy was desesperate by the loss of his plane and I told him that I'll help him to build a new one that won't crash because of a chinese man using poor quality glues and wood

That's how the story began.

when the kit arrived i told the teen that I selected for him what I consider to be the best kit quality available and asked him to respect the work of the kit manufacturer. He fully understood. During plane building I didn't touch the plane , I just tried to share my knowledges.

I honestly admit that I was not expecting a so nice result, the plane is not only nice looking, it's strong, light and fully airworthy.

the young boy said he had a lot of fun building it and that he won't buy ARF anymore. That's great.

Last edited by SALMONBUG; 02-07-2018 at 12:08 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:54 AM
SALMONBUG

Here they are , proudly introducing the venture at the field
together there are not 30 years old. I liked to supervise this building, that gave me some oxygen and some extremely funny moments
And the most important , the new generation of builder is there !!!

Name:	1519638635-img-0135.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	2256182
Old 02-26-2018, 01:54 AM
SALMONBUG

Here they are , proudly introducing the venture at the field
together there are not 30 years old. I liked to supervise this building, that gave me some oxygen and some extremely funny moments
And the most important , the new generation of builder is there !!!

Name:	1519638635-img-0135.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	2256183