Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Who makes the best laser cut Jensen Ugly Stik kit?

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Who makes the best laser cut Jensen Ugly Stik kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 12:32 PM
Waldog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who makes the best laser cut Jensen Ugly Stik kit?

Who makes the best Ugly Stick laser cut short kit, preferably with plans? I know several companies make short kits but, it seems some are REALLY short kits where the fuselage sides have to be spliced. Others provide balsa parts and no plywood pieces.
I’ve been out of the hobby for about 20 years and few seem to make kits and even fewer use glow engines. I like to build and hear the sound of glow fuel engines. What can I say, I’m old!
Old 11-23-2018, 03:20 PM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Waldog, I scratch built my Jensen (Kraft) Ugly Stick. In fact I've scratch built a dozen or so.I made an aluminum wing rib for a template to cut ribs.It's gotten a lot of use. The rest is just sheet wood.All of the parts are full size on the plans. If I was really lazy, I'd find a laser source for the wing ribs.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:34 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yep, scratch build it. I was out of the RC hobby 35 +- years. Like you, I chose an Ugly Stik as my first build. It is not a Jensen but plans I found here on RCU. My build method is, I work from a computer print out. I draw the lines I need for the build. I used the computer and printer only for the rib plan once I determined the chord size. I used leftover sheet paneling for my rib template. Not too difficult.

Covered in Sig Koverall, latex paint and homemade decals. Came out pretty good for that first build. Also a sample plan showing the lines I draw for a build. Those lines are a left-right wing to me.

Give scratch building a try. It is not as difficult as it may seem to be. The Ugly Stik is a good model for a first try at it. Good luck.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:34 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I encourage scratch building whenever I can. I think it's the best part of the hobby, tied with that first flight.

The Ugly Stick is a pretty basic model construction wise and makes a good scratch build project for beginners. With a constant cord fully symmetrical wing, it's hard to mess that up. And if you stray a little on the airfoil? No biggie. As long as you're close it will fly just fine.

And when scratch building, it's easier to add in those personal touches. Cowled engine, different tail outline, retracts!